1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Magic Never Dies by Lynney - R

Discussion in 'Romance' started by telmah, Aug 7, 2007.

1. telmah

telmah Guest

Title: Magic Never Dies
    Author: Lynney
    Rating: R
    Genre: Romance/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: H/HR
    Published: July 22, 2005
    Updated: January 28, 2006
    Words: 169445
    Chapters: 30

Summary: Seventh Year Fic. Begins with the end of HBP and carries through the final confrontation with Voldemort. COMPLETE!
    Link: https://www.portkey-archive.org/story/4723

Easily one of the best year 7 fics I have read to date. The character development is rich, combats are well written. I was reading this when DH arrived, and was amazed at the similarity in both content and quality. Canon up through year 6. And last, but not least, Completed.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked By Sorrows: 03/08/2019
    - Link fixed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yes...and yet another H/HR pairing...I hope you know, that these two do NOT belong together...one reason why I can't stand the pairing, I'll read it later though when I'm in the mood to.

Richard.

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not a big H/Hr fan, but I thought it was a pretty well done story. Not utterly captivating, but amusing in its own way. My only big problem with it ...Herms.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Meh. I liked it. I can ship H/Hr when the mood strikes, so yeah.

It was entertaining, and that's what counts foh mah.

5. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I'm liking it so far, it does have that slightly vauge around the edges feel as to why she's dating him, and they went as far as undressing on the seconed kiss, but all in all a decent story. The plot is obvious and proceeding down the intended path rather than bogging down in pointless make out session and unnecessary shopping trips.

A cut above most fic I'd say though not Epic as of chapter 7.

4.25/5

6. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

Maybe I'm just a freak (and I probably am) but I've always kind of liked the idea of H/HR. Sad thing is though, 99% of the time, most people get Hermione's character too the extremes- it's either she's too bitchy or she becomes yet another Mary Sue.

Anyways as for this story: It's good. It's finished. It's (relatively) coherent. It's decently written. Biggest flaw about this is that it's just not special. There's not really anything which makes this stand out. Characterization is pretty good, some WTF/OOC moments, but it's ok. So I'll give it a 4.

7. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I thought Hermione was a Mary Sue. Didn't JKR even vitually admit as much?

8. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Not quite. Hermione was JKR's image of herself, her Avatar if you will.

I like this fic. Well written, and a semi-engaging plot line. I kindda got bored after a while though.

3.5/5

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  9. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just finished the first chapter and I'm a little confused as to why Harry gave all his family money to his aunt and uncle.

10. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Probably to show off how he really doesn't care about money. That he's being the bigger man.

Oh the pleasure if he was forced to live the rest of his life on welfare because of that moronic decision.

11. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Wait, did he actually give the money to them or did just say that he would? That is about the point that I stopped reading. For some reason I can't get into the mood to read this fic.

12. Procrastinator

Procrastinator Squib

I decided too check this story out because I was looking for something that could replace the vast disappointment that DH represented for me. I haven’t finished yet but so far it’s a smooth read with a quality of writing close to that of the actual book. And yet I have been spoilt by some rather spectacular plots lately and this one just can’t capture my attention for long spans.

I’m not into H/Hr at all… not because she isn’t suited for Harry (because she clearly is… somebody to keep his feet on the ground and all that) but because Harry just doesn’t possess any of the qualities I imagine Hermione wanting in a guy. I was disappointed when I realized she would be paired of with Ron in canon and I am just as disappointed when she is paired of with anybody else either so immature, unintelligent or with the “emotional range of a teaspoon” as it was once so aptly phrased. But that’s just the girl in me talking… Back on track: this is an interesting read for rainy days (like today for example -.-) but it’s in no way as fascinating as some of the masterpieces out there. If any of you have some #1 7<SUP>th</SUP> year AU to recommend please send me a message.

13. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Eh, follows the same general amount of cliches that all Harry/Hr stories do.

-Ron has no trouble accepting Harry's relationship with Hermione
    -Hermione and Harry are having sex a week into their relationship
    -Harry has no trouble pleasing Hermione with his super sex abilities

And I'm only on chapter 5...

Not to say that this is bad, but, I don't care for it. It's fairly well written, if lacking something in the excitement department.

14. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Agreed. I can't say it's bad... but not my flavor.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

H/Hr fics worth reading have got to be the hardest to find. Hermoine is usually either too know-it-all bitch, or something. The good ones are very rare.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Word.

Indeed.

He gave them a little bit of money that, according to the story, didn't even begin to put a dent in the Potter money (and that's not even counting the Black money he has).
    Also, Hermione put multiple curses on the money that would adversely affect the Dursley's fertility, cause vermin to infest any house they lived in, and other nasty things. That money will be more trouble to Harry's relatives than it will ever be worth. If anything, canon Hermione is a devious and scorchingly vindictive young woman; something Skeeter and Umbridge can testify to, seeing as how she imprisoned and blackmailed one and essentially attempted manslaughter against the other.
    Ahem. Except for the equal number of fics where Ron DOES have trouble accepting it, gets jealous or goes off the deep end or starts plotting Harry's and/or Hermione's death, because Harry and Hermione hook up. :p

I liked this story for the most part. It's definitely a cut above the majority of H/Hr and the quality of the writing, in and of itself, was better. As for a lack of excitement... I don't know. I guess I can kind of agree, somewhat. Even the fight scenes didn't really 'put you on the edge of your seat'. Was it the lack of a more obvious 'gimmicky' power? *shrug* I don't know. I still really enjoyed it.

I do admire the way Lynney can write a love scene and make it interesting while never naming a body part or referring to the size of Harry's wand. How many fic authors can claim that? Most love scenes in fanfic read like a listing of body parts without ever involving any emotion on behalf of the characters and without engaging the reader.

As for Hermione in this story; she isn't perfect, her solution for getting the soul fragments out of Harry is never proven to work and, in fact, never even comes into play... She doesn't save the day a million times in a row. The only real way in which she approaches Mary Sue-dom is in the way that she has so much faith and love for Harry. Even then, her faith in him isn't absolute. She never doubts the strength of their love for each other but, at the same time, does sometimes doubt that he will think things through or handle things properly. I have no problems with Hermione's characterization here.

Actually, their relationship started when they were 12 and 11, respectively. A lot of people tend to forget that fact. That they weren't officially a romantic couple is hardly even vaguely relevant.

With most of the Harry/* ships, this complaint is valid but not with Harry and Hermione. Harry is 17 here and Hermione is 18, they've been in a very close relationship for years at this point, they've had feelings for each other during most of it, and they finally decided to take it to the next level. We aren't talking about Ginny, who he's barely spoken to or Luna, who he barely knows (not that I'm knocking H/L), we're talking about someone he's spent nearly every waking hour with, ten months a year for the past six years; someone who has been there with him in many life-threatening and life-changing events.

Yes, they jump straight from kissing to sex but it's not like they just met each other in a bar. Within the boundaries of this particular story, they've been a couple in nearly every way that counts for practically six years.
    Another thing to consider is that Hermione and Harry both are very conscious of the fact that either of them may die at any time... Those kind of circumstances have a tendency to accelerate relationships, even ones that haven't been going on for years like Harry and Hermione's.

17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

If you don't like the pairing, then DON'T FUCKING COMMENT. Dumbass.

Flaming aside, I rather enjoyed this fic. I read it awhile ago, so I don't really remember that much about it, but I know I enjoyed it. 4/5

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is this the one with the Mirror of Morganna that drains magical power when you look at it?

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'd have to say no. I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That sounds sweet though.

Why would Ron oppose Harry's and Hermione's relationship? I apologize if I'm sortsighted, but really, why? Harry kissed Ginny with no warning in front of him, he nodded, end of story. His tolerance is probably the best characteristic of him.