1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Magic Never Dies by Lynney - R

Discussion in 'Romance' started by telmah, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yeah, but Ron never wanted to date Ginny... I hope. They are purebloods, so one can never tell.

In this story, yes, Ron is pretty accepting of Harry/Hermione. In a lot of fics (a lot) Ron gets angry, throws tantrums and generally acts like a bitch if Harry and Hermione start a romantic relationship together.

Why would Ron oppose their relationship?

Ron was shown in canon to be a jealous little twat. It's not hard to imagine that, even if he wasn't interested in Hermione before, the minute Harry hooked up with her, he'd get jealous; even if he had no reason to. Ron is, after all, prone to doing, saying and believing things with/for no reason whatsoever.

I also think Ron is inherently lazy about anything that isn't quidditch, chess or eating. Chess might not even be a good example since he never plays anyone that can give him a challenge. Is this because he's really that good at chess or because he only plays people he knows he can beat, enjoying the ego boost?
    My point there being that the only female he really ever associates with, that isn't related to him, is Hermione. It could very well be that Ron sees her as an easy way to get a girlfriend. He already knows her so he doesn't have to put forth any effort trying to get to know someone else. She already does favors for him in regards to homework and puts up with his bullshit. He could be hoping this translates to a marriage where she picks up after him, lectures him with a short rant which he can easily tune out, then goes on about her business. Harry swooping in and claiming her for himself would spoil that for him.

The list of reasons Ron goes apeshit over H/Hr in fanfic is nearly endless. In my own personal experience, for every story I've read where Ron calmly accepts H/Hr and pats them on the back saying, 'It's about time!', there are at least ten stories where Ron gets pissed off and/or calls Hermione a mudblood whore, takes a swing at Harry, bitches about how Harry gets everything he wants handed to him because he's TBWL, acts like Hermione belonged to him and Harry 'stole' her from him... it goes on and on.

Of course none of that has anything to do with this story but it goes a little way towards explaining the typical reasons Ron blows his stack over this pairing in many H/Hr fics.
    That's why I kind of scratched my headed in wonder when it was stated above that Ron's acceptance of them as a couple was a cliche. There are far more fics (AFAICT) where he's upset about it, even if he gets over it later in the story.
    Sometimes he just mopes around a bit, then bucks up and gets over it, other times he does as I mentioned above and takes a swing at Harry while gravely insulting Hermione. Typically he gets laid out by a punch from Harry or a hex from Hermione, is told to mend his ways and eventually reconciles with them.
    In a lot of them, he's so angry about it that it causes a break in the Trio or he plots to steal Hermione back via various spells or potions. In some he simply plans 'revenge' or their deaths and, finally, in some stories it even drives him towards supporting Voldemort.

What else can you expect from someone born in a bin, seriously?

2. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Hear, hear.

I remember reading this quite some time ago, and I thought it was pretty average. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing spectacular either. 3/5

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Well, that's a pretty solid arguement. I had just thought that sister > friend, but when you put it that way...

I really want to read a story in which Harry hooks up with Hermione, and Ron just shrugs and generally doesn't give a shit.

4. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I like H/Hr, I really do. In fact, it is the pairing I ship most heavily at this moment, but the sad thing is that there are usually two major flaws in H/Hr fics. One is that most authors tend to write Hermione's character poorly- either they do not keep her in character enough, or they overdo things and unintentionally make her out to be an annoying bint.

The other prevalent flaw is the believability of the romance. I've only read a few fics where the author takes the time and patience to flesh out their developing romance. "Eighth" is one of them, and "Eye of the Storm" is another. "Avenged Sevenfold" is another good one, though I fear it has been abandoned.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

If you Enjoyed them so much, why haven't they been posted here?

6. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Because I felt they don't really fit into the Library? Harry is not much different from canon (still the same wuss) in "Eye of the Storm". "Avenged Sevenfold" has not been updated for half a year and features the same Harry, except one who is slightly more "independent" because Ron has been kidnapped and Harry goes off along with Hermione to save him. Is this the kind of Harry that DLP likes? The writing and romance is good, but it just doesn't seem like it would fit.

It's probably because I see them as serious reads instead of the casual romance fics that I read when there is nothing else available, and hence my expectations are much higher.

As for "Eighth", it's actually mentioned by someone here in DLP. That's how I was introduced to it. I don't know why it was never put up for review though.

I can give you the links if you want to read them anyway.

Eighth

Eye of the Storm

Avenged Sevenfold (MNFF lulz)

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn't Avenged Sevenfold an Aussie emo band?

8. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Never heard of it. I did like the fic specifically for the H/Hr romance though. A pity it seems to be abandoned.

9. skooly

skooly First Year

Avenged Sevenfold is in fact a band but I wouldn't call them emo.

10. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

Extremely well-written story that effectively holds a Rowling vibe to it, and could have possibly been the better version of the Deathly Hallows. But it isn't and wasn't.

Good grammar, plot, romance, and action equal win.

5/5

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Woah. This has been bookmarked in my favourites for half a year. It's gone as of now.

Got a link?:D