1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Law fics with the law causing a revolution

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Download, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looking for a marriage-law fic where it starts a revolution and topples the Ministry or they tell the Ministry to get stuffed and leave the country.

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

3. Download

High Score:
    Looks good.

Is this the sort of question that deserves a thread?

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

It started off as a cute Deconstruction of the Marriage Law, but quickly degenerated into cliched "Wizarding World Bad, Muggle World Good" nonsense, complete with relentless Dumbledore Bashing.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5802874/1/The-Obligatory-Marriage-Law-Fic

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

7. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

"Relentless Dumbledore bashing" is not true. First, the bashing is told from the POV of people who hate him. If Malfoy is ranting about mudbloods and their faults, that's not bashing muggleborns, that's the character's POV. Second, Dumbledore's portrait gets ripped into in one chapter, and mentioned in a few more. Beyond that he's a non-entity.

And it's not "Wizards bad, muggles good". It's a lot of different factions and nations making and breaking alliances during the course of a war that encompasses most of Magical Europe, with the relations between muggle nations and magical nations something everyone involved has a different view of. The Marriage Law Revolution was just the spark that set it off, like the French Revolution.

Yeah, racist pureblood aristocrats are "bashed", like they were in canon. In this AU there are simply a lot more of them around, and in power in other countries, than the Death Eaters in canon. Though the idea that one can simply take muggle laws and apply them to the magical world doesn't work there. Nor does anyone think that muggles can beat wizards. Muggles and wizards working together, on the other hand...

This Britain is not a racist, primitive and backwards pimple in the face of an enlightened Europe/World. It's a normal nation, even rather progressive compared to many others - that is until the attempted genocide and follow-up revolution.

8. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I just know I'm gonna hate this.

9. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Why is it that every shitty Wizards-Are-The-Worst! fic has to make a huge deal about Hogwarts using quills instead of pens? If that story wasn't already awful enough - I could only make it a few chapters in, because every scene was just Hermione proving how superior she is while everyone else just sputtered in shock - it's just impossible to take a story seriously when they start on that shit.

10. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Because it's a symbol for traditions that harm education in the eyes of a disillusioned but anal-retentive muggleborn witch who thinks it's payback time for every real or imagined slight and damage she suffered during her school years. That, and using quills and an inkwell instead of better alternatives (fountain pens or enchanted quills) is, well - dumb. There's a reason we do not use quills anymore, and a school that tried to force us using them instead of pens would rightly be scorned by most sane people.

Note: I am not saying using enchanted quills is bad. I am saying using plain, mundane quills instead of fountain pens is bad. And I do think that after years of having to use them, anyone who knows about fountain pens would have a lot of pent anger ready to be vented. I certainly would be angry if I had to use a typewriter instead of a computer at school for 7 years.

Also, it's not a "Wizards are the worst" fic. It's a "pureblood bigots are the worst" fic. It's got a (after a rough start) heroic Ron, later a heroic Ginny and Neville, a Viktor Krum shining outside Quidditch, a Percy rising up the ranks and playing the long game (waiting for the inevitable point when Hermione messes up). It has muggle governments scheming and plotting against muggleborns.

Yes, it starts with Hermione running roughshod over half of Britain - which is usually the outcome after a successful coup or revolution. Reality sets in later, when it turns out you cannot simply copy paste muggle laws and mores into the Magical World. And that just because the ICW ignored Voldemort's actions doesn't mean one can safely ignore the ICW.

11. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You've convinced me to give this story a go Starfox.

12. frantic

frantic Boosted

Hi Starfox-san.

I don't want to talk to you about how shitty your fanfic is, because I've already done so!

Please stop trying to defend it here. Instead of being polite, I will instead just call you an enormous cockgobbling faglord who doesn't understand good writing, characterization, plot, narrative structure, sentence structure, prose, reading comprehension, ideology, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and general competency!

Starfox couldn't figure his way out of a goddamn revolving door. He would stay there, dazed and confused, unable to comprehend the idea that you can continue moving forward in order to escape. He may not be the worst writer of HP fanfic of all time, but he is quite possibly the worst one on SB. His fanfic is written by a twelve year old or some shit, because I've never seen prose so fucking dull. He could be talking about the most intense battle of Harry's life, and it would read like a shitty children's story.

Fuck Starfox.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ, are you thinking Wizards don't use enchanted quills? Are you a gibbering ignormaus, or a mindless tool who just can't comprehend the idea of something as simple as magic? This isn't fucking Introduction to Algebra, Starfox. This is basic logic.

"Why do they use quills?"

"Because quills are fucking magic."

Done. God. I hate you so much.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ok - lets stop talking about Starfox' fic here.

Either you continue providing the OP with stories matching his request, or I will close this thread (and ban everyone posting after this post).

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So you don't like marriage law fics. We get it.

Let's move on.

The selling point for this fic for me is that that nothing in this fic is a simple solution that fixes everything forever. It's not preachy in that way. The very thing Frantic ranted about in the previous post is used as a plot point. Wizarding world works the way it does for a reason and the only way Hermione and gang can suppress it and impose muggle based solutions is physical/magical force.

Also the supporting cast aren't a bunch of sycophants that do things out of loyalty to Harry, or just because. Instead they are driven by personal goals and agendas that can and will come in conflict with Hermione's goals in the long run.

The larger plot is perhaps a bit unwieldy and overambitious for a first time author, but it did keep my interest for most of the story.

There were some problems from a technical perspective, but I'm really not the person to comment on that. I haven't caught up with the last 9 or so chapters, but from what I remember the writing was getting better over time.

Overall this is the most interesting story with the premise of Marriage law. There are certain conceits to canonical accuracy you need to make to enjoy it, but it should be given a chance on the uniqueness alone.

P.S. This is derailing the thread. Please post more fics that match the search criteria.

P.P.S. I started this post before you commented DM.

15. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

I'm a little unclear on the NSFW rules for links but MistofRainbows Buffy megacrosses have a few chapters (20-30K words) where the Marriage Laws (Taken to the extreme - sex slave all the muggleborns/killing muggle parents) that has them then fight the ministry etc of that dimension.

16. Download

High Score:
    That sounds completely awful.

Also, this is a grownup forum for grownups. Nobody cares what you link here as long as it's not illegal.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... that's not exactly entirely correct. If you feel the need to ask, it might be better off here: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=24848

18. Download

High Score:
    I assumed that thread was for awful fics that at the same time made your curious.

19. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper