1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Master Potter by Draco664 - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Muttering Condolences, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

Sorry if someone else has already asked this but, if this is the third installment, where are the other two?

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the same site.

3. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

I cant find them. What are the names?

Edit- Nevermind. Found them. Thanks

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I personally thought the parts with the Twins trying to crack the safe to be funny as hell.

5. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

I was a fan of the hat tip or two that appeared in this chapter- off the top of my head, LXM is a hat tip (or at least I think it is) to Years of Rebellion, and I remember thinking that there were a couple of other references in there as well (the whole exploding vase thing seems a bit like GreenGecko's work, but it may also be coincidence).

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This story has become too convoluted for my tastes.

The first two, (apprentice and journeyman) were excellent. Harry kicked ass, got the womens, and generally just fucked with people.

All of a sudden he's friends with Neville who's not really Neville but is instead Riddle, and he's pretending to be a Dark Lord in order to change people's minds, bribing people, he's blowing up buildings and hiding other ones under Fidelius.

How the hell does this add to the story?

The will reading? Draco664 literally HAD to put the battle in, otherwise it would have been the most futile scene in the entire story. As usual, Harry stickin' it to the people who he doesn't like.

Oh and the Harry we know from Apprentice and Journeyman would have just gone on a rampage if his kid had been taken from him unjustly.

This has become crap.

7. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

Yes, it seems as if the author has grown tired of the characters. While I might be vilified for this, Harry needed to be with both Blaise and Hermione for this story to work.

Without Hermione being emotionally invested with him in this, we've seen him grow very very calloused to everything. Rightfully, Harry should be calloused to some extent, but Blaise doesn't really inspire him to have any compassion for anything, while she strangely remains rather tied to the pureblood political establishment he is waging war against.

Most people have commented on his lack of reaction to Hermione's miscarriage aside from a desire for revenge, that is merely a symptom of the problem with the direction of this story, but it still outclasses the vast majority of other fanfiction out there.

Perhaps due to the high caliber of the first two stories, we've been spoiled into expecting more of the same.

Master Potter rating 3.5/5...rounded down to 3/5 in this case.

8. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

Uhhh, Dr Strange Lulz- where are you getting the Neville/Riddle thing? That's a nonjon thing in A Black Comedy, and I don't remember it in Master Potter.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the fuck?

Seriously, where the hell are you getting this crap from? That isn't in the fic.

10. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I have to disagree. Harry reacted alright, it's just that he was relieved because he realized that he didn't have a future with Hermione and didn't want a baby with her (and he felt the requisite guilt from that reaction) and that cause a lot of heartburn for the people following the story just for the 'ship.

It was... refreshing. Hermione (at least in the context of Master Potter, no ship wars plz) was/is a terrible match for Harry and he was just smart enough to realize it at the time.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I'm liking it, though it took me a while to get back up to speed. Way too confusing at first.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Its good just have to read the last couple chapters to get caught back up. But its a good enough fic that I dont mind.

13. mathiasgranger

I could definitely see why you would make that interpretation of Harry in the story. But, even if he doesn't want to be with Hermione, having his first child killed before it could even live should rattle even Harry more than it did in the story. His reaction was completely self-centered to the 'forced abortion' and his rationalization of the situation left a bitter taste in people's mouths.

Sort of like pissing on the grave of his dead unborn child, and feeling only the barest hint of emotion.

All things considered equal I would assume his reaction to Blaise's unwillingness to challenge the pureblood status quo would be equally self centered. Instead, Harry completely ignores that little quibble when it seems that it would be more of an issue than it has been to date.

I think that was the reason, that it personally seemed to me, that he is tiring of his characters. He set up a trio type relationship, and then tired of trying to juggle the emotional baggage it would eventually create.

But, now that Harry only has one woman to be with, he seemingly doesn't sweat those same emotional details that tripped him up earlier. Like I said, I could see the interpretation as you stated it, but it would be such a superficial and weak emotional response, that it seems like it is a mailed in performance.

Hell, I preferred Blaise for Harry in Apprentice Potter, but she kept getting more and more bland as we moved into Journeyman, and now Master has her being somewhat annoying. She has a purportedly dead fiance trying to overturn society, and she is concerned about her job at St. Mungo's...lame.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Haha, I know. I threw it in there for effect. I hated that part of A Black Comedy and decided I could use it here to prove my point. This story has become so full of useless bullshit that only 2 people caught my reference to a completely different story and knew where it came from.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I noticed. Just thought you were having a moment of temporary insanity and since someone else mentioned it I didnt bother.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two comments.

First: I don't know, it hasn't happened to me, but a pregnant ex girlfriend miscarrying my unwanted baby would make me feel extremely relieved, not angry or depressed or hurt or whatever.

Second: I agree. Blaise's characterization is starting to suffer a lot. I read Apprentice Potter because of the ship at first, and I loved her in the first one, but now...? Its just bland, seriously.

17. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Eh, I think that it would be the height of hypocrisy for Harry to go all "Harry SMASH!" over a baby that he didn't even want.

He might do it for what Hermione went through, but the kid shouldn't really be a factor considering the way Harry feels about the situation.

18. mathiasgranger

I suppose I don't see Harry being with Hermione, and him having a child as being mutually dependent things.

One can be married to a different woman, have a child from a previous relationship, and still love the child.

Relief at the prospect of a child being aborted, that he wasn't even aware existed does not seem to be a normal reaction. He would feel something, aside from the obligatory empathy for Hermione. Hell, the male brain wants to create babies in the abstract, if nothing else than to pass on their genes to the next generation. Harry didn't even really pause, aside from relief that he won't be tethered to Hermione due to a baby. Yeah in retrospect that is a rather heartless reaction.

It's rather obvious in light of what happened to Hermione, Harry feels no obligation to her, so why would he feel a great obligation to be with Hermione, even if she carries his child and gives birth to it?

I think this is proof that Harry is becoming calloused, too calloused to really have any moral justification for his actions that will hold up well to the light of day. If I really believed that was the authors intention, I wouldn't have issue with it. But, I don't see that being the case here, simply because of the direction the plot continues to take.

As I stated before, the author is mailing in his characterizations in favor of pushing plot. It happens, hell some of my earlier works are marred by that very thing. If an author isn't invested in characters, then it shows in little things like this.

19. Portus

Portus Heir

True. In Apprentice Potter, Blaise was interesting and a little dangerous, having been somewhat trained by Zab since she was little. Now, she's the obligatory Healer, a role most often accompanied by the character being boring and dull, and generally only involved when - surprise! - someone needs medical attention.

You're right about the hypocrisy, but I do expect Harry to absolutely flay Croaker when he gets hold of him, if for no other reason than the emotional toll the whole thing had on Hermione. Even if Harry and/or Blaise don't get back together with Hermione, Harry cares for Hermione, as a loyal friend if nothing else.

I admit I was disappointed when the three-way broke up, but looking back, it was fairly obvious that Harry and Hermione were attracted to each other for the wrong reasons, and yet I still hold out hope that things will work out such that Hermione and Blaise actually "care for each other", which was the stipulation either Harry or Blaise made, that had to happen before anyone thought of getting back together.

And another thing - WTF is up with the Horcruxes? Am I mistaken in thinking that they haven't all been taken care of yet? I know that Harry spent time in Azkaban after returning from Italy (I think?), and that's when he started this crusade against purebloods, but I'm almost positive that all of Riddle's Horcruxes haven't been destroyed yet, and that was the plot behind Journeyman Potter, so what's the deal? Maybe I should re-read the second installment, eh??

Well, even if the author is mailing it in now (which I don't really think is happening, but things do seem to have gone off the rails a bit), I'll read whatever story he posts, because I like the writing style and the characters, and the action is good as well. It could be that he's lost some of his interest in writing this, but feels obligated to finish the story? Just a thought.

20. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The whole bribery and St Mungo's plot line is probably the best political and believable coup done in fanfiction.

On the other hand Zabini's character is starting to border on the whole typical Ginny!Anger!SelfRighteousness BS you read. Hopefully he sorts it out.

4/5!