1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Master Potter by Draco664 - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Muttering Condolences, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KafkaExMachina

KafkaExMachina Second Year

Personally, I feel that Hermione's inclusion in the relationship was doomed from the start (Apprentice Potter), and was only added to the story for... actually, I never could figure out why she was added as an even tangential love interest.

Blaise is (forgive me) Slytherin-Sue. She has no faults except for a fire-cracker temper that makes her sexier in bed. She accepts and supports Harry, even when he wants to run off and 'do his thing.' Indeed, she waits patiently for him to return, understanding that some things he can only do on his own, while she supports him and his plans off-camera. She doesn't question him, judge him or throw irrational fits because he misinterpretted something she said.

Oh hell, she's Ginny, without the freckles.

Hermione is tragically close to canon, and therefore a relatively realistic portrayal of a teenage female with emotional baggage. She's supportive, but she has her own issues and sometimes she does stupid things because of them. She's got realistic flaws, as well as realistic strong points.

Given the difference between the two, Hermione never stood a chance. In my humble opinion the three-way relationship got fiated in because the author felt sorry for her/got flack from people who like Hermione. Given how much more realistic Hermione was compared to Blaise, I knew it was only a matter of time before Hermione became useless, or a form of antagonist. Lo and behold, I was right. We can't have our hero hook up with a girl with honest-to-gosh faults! Really, the author should have just killed her somewhere in the second story, or had them part on friendly terms in order to eliminate the unneccessary angst.

I'm not criticizing the story. It's one of the better 'Independant-but-not-Super Harry becomes Badass' crop, and definitely worth reading.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Merx

Merx Squib

Exactly! That's been bugging me for quite a while now, if Blaise didn't play such a relatively small role in the story, at least so far, she could have really brought down the quality. Luckily, we only see her fairly occasionally.

Otherwise, I absolutely love this series, and it is definitely one of my favorite stories featuring a powerful but not overpowered Harry.

Now, if only the author would update more often...

3. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Updated. Harry causes more property damage.

4. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I think I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm liking Master Potter rather more than the previous two parts of the trilogy. I see what some others have pointed out about the possible decline of Blaise as a character. But for me, that's more than compensated for by the improvement in Harry's character.

The Harry of Apprentice/Journeyman alternated between toddler-style temper tantrums, and paragraph-long rants that stank of author editorializing. I prefer independent!Harrys who can make their point in as few words as possible.

As a bonus, Master Potter hasn't had much Dumbledore action yet; this pleases me because the Dumbledore of this series is a painfully meek and dim-witted mouth breather.

So I'm tentatively considering this a 5/5 vote (4.5+ actual), vs. the previous stories' 4/5 actual.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Its good. It just takes so blame long between updates.

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've said it before, and this chapter is just further proof.

This story has just become far too convoluted, filled with political entanglements, and a far fetched scheme that has become a hassle to keep track of due to the long time between updates.

The first two of the three books, Apprentice and Journeyman, were exactly what this fandom was looking for at the time. Apprentice had a Harry breaking away from Dumbledore and the Order and taking charge of his life. By the time Journeyman came around we were looking for Harry to be able to handle himself in maturely, something lacking in so many fics of that time. But Master Potter somehow fell off shortly after it began.

But get beyond his machinations an we're left with an author who has simply run out of ideas (Termites? Really? That's your fucking backup plan?) , and who seems to be dragging the story out for no apparent reason. Harry could have killed Croaker in this chapter, it would have been far more satisfying to have Harry confront him, instead we're left with Harry and some unecessary Gringotts plot, thats SURE to work because Harry is suddenly Lex Luthor.

Just finish this fucking thing already.

7. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Updated. Off I go to read.

8. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Interesting chapter, can't wait to see the fallout of the Blaise thing. Hope the author doesn't do a cop out and give us the pussy version of what could happen

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

It's been forever since this was updated...I think I need to go reread from the beginning...=\

There goes a week of my life. :awesome

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every time this fucking updates, I feel the need to reread it all. Its usually worth it too, heh.

11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Maybe she didn't betray him but stupidly went to talk to Zab and he overpowered and kidnapped her (for her own good) and made it look like she left voluntarily.
    Or is that the pussy version of what could happen?

12. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Interesting. I think that it can be a good thing regarding what Blaise did. Harry is a bit of a maniac loose cannon with his whole plan to basically fuck up a society. Sure, he has a reason, but he is acting pretty crazy and is pretty much a terrorist. Hopefully this situation develops and makes him reassess just exactly what he's doing, and how he's going about it.

13. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Just finished the new chapter and loved it.

I really didn't see the Blaise thing coming. IIRC, there weren't any hints that she was disloyal to Harry and he didn't do anything that would change that so drastically. It's not like he killed or even injured Zab. So I could understand if she had been pissed off about it and had yelled at him or even attacked him but betrayal seems like an overreaction.

I feel like Draco664 either needs to give us some more justification or it's like wolf550e suggested.

Either way, I'm hooked again and can't wait for the next update. Even though it'll most likely be at least a month or two away, quite possibly a lot more.