1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mattitude's Challenge #1 - Harry/Fleur

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Caput, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Y'know, fleeing to France from Britain isn't exactly a huge barrier, especially considering various methods of magical travel. As Warren Ellis once said, you can piss on Calais from Dover.

2. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Pretty sure that if you're running from an invasion, France is the last country that you'd want to hide in.

3. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

I think, that your idea is based on this fic.

4. Caput

Caput First Year

That does look familiar, so probably part of it is also.

5. DarkAizen

And if you want to make a story just for the paring...It`s gonna fail.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Huh?

As Tehan pointed out, it's the magical travel that changes things. You can make a bag of Portkeys to Nepal just as well, so it doesn't really matter if you hide there or in France. However, France has a (to you) friendly government and lots of trained aurors. Nepal has not.

So, you hide in France.

7. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I like these ideas, there is potential for a decent Beauxbâtons!Harry here.

On the other hand, Dark Aizen has a point: a story built primarily on the ship is bound to fail (if it's not intended to be a pure romance piece anyway). EDIT: Oedipus Flower is an exception.
    And considering the original challenge, I'd say the OP has meagre chances to pull it off, at best.

Also, Sesc: that was a surrender joke, I believe.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

OEDIPUS FLOWER BEGS TO DIFFER!

9. DarkAizen

<_< well... that`s the exception that proves the rule:awesome

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking gold Pers. You win the thread.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Thanks. I'm actually tempted to write something like this as a crackfic. I think it'd run about 30k words, a little shorter than MILL, which will run finish around 40k. It'd take a good three weeks to do it right.

I'm a little distracted, though, with planning a Harry Potter/Battle Royale crossover. I have about half the essential plot laid out, with rough equivalencies for the various characters. (Harry = Shuya Nanahara, Hermione = Noriko Nakagawa, badass survivor!Neville = Shogo Kawada, Theodore Nott = Kazuo Kiriyama). It's going to be pretty bloody, about as much so as the Harry Potter/Eternal Champion (Elric of Melniboné) novel I wrote for NaNo this year that nobody's seen yet. (Whole thing needs a massive edit--I wrote the 70k word novel in "balls to the wall" pace in like 2.5 weeks; for shits and grins, I might excerpt part of it in WbA).

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

This thread gets 5 stars because of Perspicacity's off-the-cuff embryonic crackfic.

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The French reluctantly harbor fugitives from the crumbling British empire (those that are muggleborn, those that have defected because of the new regime that has come into power, many squibs, as well as the Order of the Phoenix with select members of the now defunct Wizengamot), and with the passing years and the constant threat of invasion by Great Britain, many natural French citizens have a deep resentment of the foreigners.

The biggest twist is that Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, as well as Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange, were given (as his most loyal followers) the location of one of his horcruxes (the diary). As an alternative, the Lestranges torture the Longbottoms for information regarding the Dark Lord's death, and just before their minds have broken they give up their secret: They, along with Dumbledore and the Potters, know about and have been searching to destroy the horcruxes. They realize that's what the diary is, spend a few years tracking down information regarding them and how to bring Voldemort back, and then do a rebirthing ritual resembling the one in the Goblet of Fire.

This way, Voldemort comes back to his followers (which have not had ten years to forget about him and settle into their lives) and regains hold of the nation ala Deathly Hallows. Dumbledore is forced to flee Hogwarts, and over a span of years, so are every surviving muggleborn, squib and sympathizer.

Harry Potter was raised at the Dursleys, punished for something he couldn't understand and had feared, until the age of eight when Dumbledore is forced to remove him because Voldemort has found his location. He takes him, his resistance against Voldemort, to France. (Mattitude's idea of a school system that starts earlier could come into effect here quite nicely) Dumbledore plays a direct role in Harry's life, and the Order of the Phoenix flourishes in France, collecting a number of French wizards and witches who are either sympathetic to their cause, or, critical of Voldemort's. Two of the new recruits are the Delacours: the male, a hungry half-blood politician who wants to further his muggleborn by standing against the Pureblood elite and creating a safe haven for muggleborns and squibs; and the female, a half-Veela who was born in Germany but sent to France to escape a genocide against German Veelas in the years after the second World War.

Their quarter-Veela daughter Fleur is three years ahead of Harry in school and is assigned to teach Harry English and help him integrate into his new school. It's important to note that Voldemort's mark has left Harry's accidental magic extremely potent and often quite dangerous to students that cross him. Over the (Co-Ed) years, and through the guidance of Dumbledore, he learns control over his magic and the great amount of power at his hands, and as two of Dumbledore's most trusted associates, Harry knows Fleur and her parents very well.

The relationship proceeds as one of friendship, and Harry begins to rely on Fleur like an older sister, where she thinks of him as a younger brother. But as they both get older, the threat of war looms on the horizon and the Boy Who Lived draws closer to being forced to fight, they are brought into the expanded Order as members.

Points of note: Beauxbatons starts three years younger but only really delves into theory of magic and encourages students to learn outside of the curriculum.

Both Dumbledore and the Delacours have taken an interest in Harry, (who struggles with the French language even for a few years after learning it and relys heavily on Fleur without developing many other relationships as a youth) and he has genuine affection for the both of them.

Voldemort is the English dictator but he has not crushed muggle society yet, preferring to work towards immortality (crushing Dumbledore and all knowledge of the Horcruxes). Dumbledore has been marginally effective in limiting deaths of muggles, all though numbers of murders have begun to rise dramatically.

That's about it. I think it sounds hella interesting, and it adheres to many of Mattitude's original plans.

...Now it's 3.06 AM and I'm Sleeeeeeeeepy! so...

14. Caput

Caput First Year

:awesome

I'm intrigued, that sounds like something I'd love to read :D

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm pretty sure there is already a Battle Royale crossover somewhere on the tubes, also featuring Neville as the survivor. I'll have to check my bookmarks at home...

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Japanese Jew steered me to one written in 2004, but my story idea is somewhat different.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have a minor change to what I posted: Voldemort gives the Malfoys and Lestranges the diary and (correct me if I'm wrong) Hufflepuff's cup? and explains to them what they are. As his most loyal followers, he means for them to bring him back if he is ever killed.

Baby Harry expels him, then he is brought back to life, but Snape informs Dumbledore of the existence of horcruxes. So Dumbledore leaves the country under of the guise of giving up, but he's looking for the horcruxes and trying to find a way to kill them. Slughorn needs to be found and Harry must be protected at all costs.

18. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Well you could always have HP dress up as a girl. Pretend he is a girl in an all girl school. Make it a humor and it should work out.

19. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Umm...Hai...Magic? Why would you dress up as a girl, when you can turn into one...

Oh wait, this is about male!Harry going to a female only school (implied fanon) pretending he's a girl ruins the point.

20. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

This is like a chick flick, with the added lameness of it being written down.