1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Midknight's Gauntlet of challenges, are YOU good enough?

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Midknight, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm becoming disgusted everytime lately when I see a new story. I read the first 4-5 chapters, and delete the bookmark, b/c it is nothing more then a carbon copy of an existing one, with very, very slightly changed situations. (We all know Harry will pick out Griphook anytime he goes to Gringotts dont we!)

I have one huge challenge, covering the major types of stories that seem to be on top right now.

Read the summary below of the story types so you know what NOT to do!

Independent Harry!

-gets a note from Gringotts, where Dumbles has been hiding his vaults from him. Sirius makes him emancipated in his will somehow. Becomes Lord Potter (despite the fact noone addresses Fudge/Malfoy/etc/ANYONE other then Voldemort as Lord, everyone just calls Harry Lord Potter for the contrast to Voldie)

He then somehow has a magical peak overnight, becomes a utter badass, and proceeds to somehow still feel the need to return to class and struggle though his school year, and gets damned near killed constantly, but somehow pulls off the win in the end, due to his love for Ginny/Hermione/Cho.

Dark!Harry

-Note from Gringotts, somehow gets emancipated, finds out he's the heir of Voldemort (overused) some random dark lord, or Grindelwald (used moderatly, still hasn't been done really well) He buys tons of dark arts books intending to use them to fight everybody, turns his back on all his friends b/c of Dumbles manipulating them, and proceeds to be a utter badass... Oh and lets not forget he has to go back to school b/c we need filler for half the story

Azkaban!Harry/prison

-Gets tossed into Azkaban for pretty much no reason, everyone sells him out in a heartbeat with no real reason why, becomes a animagus in 1 week-2 years without his wand, escapes, reallllllly angry, yet either forgives everyone fast as hell for what they did, or wants to kill them all, yet doesn't do crap. Studies dark magic on his own, turns a few death eaters, spends a majority of the story doing nothing.

Lord Azkaban

-Starts the same as Azkaban Harry, but discovers somehow he's Lord Azkaban. Tons of money, power, and resources yet sits there like a little wimp for the most part not doing anything (Cough*Earl of the North*cough) or goes back to school b/c the author can't think of a good way to write Harry without having him surrounded by his betrayers (Lord of Caer Azkaban)

All of the above include sick amounts of crying over Sirius, and somehow bringing him back, or using him as the catalyst for the sudden change in Harry.

My challenge to you is, write stories using these themes, Independent, Dark, Azkaban prison/escape, and Lord of Azkaban. OR existing stories that totally break the cliched chains it seems the whole community has strapped on. You don't have to use all of them, just simply one or more.

WITHOUT using as many of the normal cliched CRAP everyone uses as a starter template. Lets try to get some originality going in here! I know, I know, most everythings been done before in one way or another, but lets try to get some stories out there that don't all follow the same. exact. damned. outline.

You may submit new stories, written by you, in the Work by Authors category, or you may submit links to stories you feel qualify for this challenge here. Only conditions for existing stories is that the story be Post- GOF, and that they be over 40K words in length, OR, updated at a decent pace.

I'm praying this will bring some good stories to light =)

2. Nytmare

Nytmare Fourth Year

Hear,Hear, I completely concure and I second that motion!!!

I mean lets face it if you are an untrained wizard then how the hell do you get out of azkaban? simple, you Dont, You have to be released or somebody has to break you out! there is a reason why Sirus was the first and only wizard to break out!

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

no.... my harry sorta broke out ....i mean there was a battle going on and he took advantage of the sistuation and escaped.....its called Shadows of Azkaban...but yea midknights right

4. Nytmare

Nytmare Fourth Year

Ok well, we will let your's pass cause you did it decently.
    But only this once mind you.
    I have a good mind to start some sort of society against underage wizard's being able to break out of prison for some reason, so if you wish to try it again run it by me and i'll see if I can give you authorisation to do so!

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree. Harry is VERY rich already. No need for him to get secret accounts. I think the only thing he needs to succeed is his money he already has. Empty the bank on his ass. Remember, Voldemort had no money coming out of HOgwarts.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

As for your "Lord Potter" dislike, in my fics I tend to have the goblins refer to Harry (and anybody else who has one) by aristocratic title. Mainly because said people control what amount to by far the bank's largest accounts and I don't find it unrealistic for them to be treated with extreme respect at Gringotts as a result. I don't have other wizards and witches address them as lords, though.

And not to blow my own horn too much, but I happen to think I'm doing at least a bit better than "not very well" with the Heir of Grindelwald arc. :p

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Agreed.

Your story is the best i've read that's using the 'Heir of Grinnie' idea. The rest are really poorly done. It's a shame, really. It's a fairly good idea that could go in all sorts of directions.

8. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Your story is GREAT for any story, heir of Grindelwald or not.

9. Midknight

Yes you are, read how old that thread is thou, lol it was before I found yours i think.

10. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Beg thy pardon, how is Serap's story called.
    and my stories' called salazar potter, i intend to try and do it diffrently than the cliche's

11. Midknight

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I think I will write one of them in the Azkaban variety... Probably when I get bored during my not so copius freetime after school starts. Expect 100k words to be dropped by Christmas or so.

I hope no one minds me chucking him in for "killing" Cedric. It is only logical though... Fudge see's him as a threat, and he did come back with a dead body. I wont have everyone stab him in the back... Though I will have Dumbledore do it :) After all, he will want to stay in power and he wont mind temporarily sacrificing a pawn for his greater good.

13. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

i like the story, no doubt points for originality,however i didn't quite get it, if he's a dakaath which is a dark creature, how could he have lived under dumby's nose for 5 years unnoticed.

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Dumbledore doesn't even know what a dakaath is. Neither did Harry until his transformation, and he didn't have so much as a clue until he started exhibiting symptoms after fifth year.

15. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

There's a scary thought. I can just imagine the Office orgy Harry dropping the soap repeatedly on purpose. And now I must go :puke:

16. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

The best reason to chuck harry in azkaban is for his frequent use of the cruciatus curse...

Has anyone taken it upon themsleves to fulfil this challenge?

17. OnyxThestral

OnyxThestral First Year

Midknight. I am here to proclaim acceptance of your challenge! I am working on a Lord Azkaban type of story and accept your conditions to that subject. I don't know when the first chapter will be up, but I will let you know.

I hope you will enjoy it.

18. Midknight

19. OnyxThestral

OnyxThestral First Year

20. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Eh...my story isn't 40k words yet, but I do like to think it's fairly cliche-free besides the Voldemort Mindrape idea.

Thats Temptations of a Dark Soul (link below).