1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My catch-all suggestion thread (For now LF specific H/Hr fic)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by phazer11, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Bonds.

'Nuff said. :facepalm

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Don't go into any of Robst's stuff with high expectations. It's cliche-ridden H/Hr at its 'best'. I enjoy each one (sort of) the first read through. And sometimes a second flick. But they just aren't that good. Merely better than the majority of the crap that floats around on ff.net.

3. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I have half a mind to write a story since reading this thread (and in particular post 16), where Harry is bonded to X by accident but dislike X and fall in love with Y instead. Just to fuck with the bond-sters.
    No offence, Phazer.

4. Thaumologist

High Score:
    NO!

MOAR HEALING HANDS!

Please.

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Only if it was very unusual and fucked up, with characters acting a bit OOC for crack value.

Especially if it breaks any cliches assigned to that character.

A sociopathic Susan, who uses her Aunt to cover up her crimes, for example.

Oh, and a fucked up Tonks. Gotta have a fucked up Tonks. Or Fleur. (Or Hermione, though I suspect that has been done before!)

--
    Deviant Tonks FTW.

"Tonks...gah...pain...good...uh..." Tonks simply gave her unwilling lover a feral smile. "Don't worry, Darling - apparently, extreme pressure gives extreme pleasure!"

Harry could only whimper as the Metamorphmagus' end of their conjoined crotches began to tighten to an impossible degree.

6. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Your sig made me think of Harry Soul-Bonded to Ginny but cheating on her with Drunk!Katie after a Quidditch win.

7. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Isn't there that fic where Harry comes back in time for some weird reason, meaning to soul bond to Ginny, but ends up a (I think) four way bond with Molly, Riddle, Ginny, and himself? And someone becomes a doll, and they all switch bodies or something?

EDIT

Found it - here is A Mother In Law's Love. Pretty sure I enjoyed it the first time I read it. But was a while ago, so even being by Pers may not save it.

8. Portus

Portus Heir

I tried. I really did. I saw that link this morning and knew - knew! - where it lead. So I marshaled my willpower and did *not* click it.

Until about two hours ago.

Guess where I've been ever since...

Warlocke, you fucking... fucker. I hate you for putting those goddamn links here, and anybody else who does it too.

I'm like those monkeys who end up with their hand caught in a jar 'cause they won't let go of the shiny object. They know it's not smart after seeing a succession of other monkeys do it and get caught, but they just can't help themselves.

I dunno how it would fare on a re-read, but if nothing else, the way Pers used a passage from a then-unposted chapter - for like six months, no less - only to reveal in the actual posting that it wasn't at all what we assumed, was and is an example of masterful trolling.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

It was a pretty good piss-take on the Soul Bond shite - personally, not my cup of tea though.

10. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

:facepalm I really like romance fics and everyone here on DLP who has seen my recs knows that I'm very open for unusual ships and concepts. But I draw a very clear line at "soul bonds". Why? Because they are an awful plot device invented by authors who are too lazy and/or too untalented to write decently about romantic relationships.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Pretty much. Especially with that 'mind linking' bullshit that's quite often seen in them.

And wouldn't it be awkward for a teenaged boy to be soul-bound to someone?

Hell, hormones are all over the place at the age.

"Man, Lavender has a cracking rack - I wouldn't mind putting my d-"

"HARRY!"

"Oh, sorry Ginny. *slight pause* Your rack ain't as big as Lavenders."

"What!?"

"Nothing, nothing...dear."

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, I would feel all offended except nobody's bitched at me yet about my fic. :nyan:

In general, though, I agree.

13. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

Nah no robst.

Oh that'd be funny but I agree with Thau Healing Hands.

Yeah I'll agree it's better than most of the H/Hr crap on ff.net

Yes I remember starting this a couple months ago. Just finished it, cured me of my current bond kick. Thanks Perse.

Back on track, I'm also looking for fics where Harry's schooling is different through Hogwarts or pre-hogwarts is different in some way such as him learning of the magical world earlier. AU and Indy fics, if it has a pairing/relationship on the side that's fine too so long as it's mostly story based and the relationship is secondary.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Mine is an evil laugh.

If it's any consolation, if I post a link to that site, it probably means I've been or will be stuck there for hours.

Not this time :p... but usually.

Soul Bonds? Robst?

I'll take it over abandoned stories, angsty garbage, and stories that never, ever, end.

Any day.

Call it 'easy listening' for the fanfic set, if you wish.

Say what you will about authors like Robst and/or Darth Marrs, but there is something to be said for a reliable release rate, and knowing the job is gonna get done.

There is a lot of (potentially) superb stuff out there that never got finished. It forces me to ask the question, 'Is an unfinished story really a story?' Does it fucking count?

Fuck you, Queens Of Darkness, Ladies Of Light.

Ruskbyte, why have you forsaken me? :(

Et cetera.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Darth Marrs stands head and shoulders above Robst, who's barely better than most of the FFN rabble. And DM is an average writer at best.

Lomonaaeren writes like a force of nature, but that doesn't mean that you'd actually read her stuff (at least most of it. World in Pieces is decent, but then it's not slash).

16. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

I don't consider incomplete/dead/abandoned stories stories either I'll just skip over it while I'm searching I don't want to start something that might or might not be good only to have it end with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. That said I will consider an incomplete stories 'stories' if they are still being updated of course and regularly.

Otherwise well said. There are too many incomplete stories in the library in my opinion. I mean I know they'll be good but if they're never finished why waste the time.
    I don't care if their writing is average, it's the content that matters. So long as it is an enjoyable read and doesn't make me want to rip my eyes out from grammar issues.

Back on track, I'm also looking for fics where Harry's schooling is different through Hogwarts or pre-hogwarts is different in some way such as him learning of the magical world earlier. AU and Indy fics, if it has a pairing/relationship on the side that's fine too so long as it's mostly story based and the relationship is secondary.

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Ruskbyte's stories are good, because they're pretty unusual.

His Hellraiser crossover (Evil Thou Be My Good?) was pretty awesome - though certain elements in his other fic's (like the more serious Billy and Mandy crossover) are a bit...worrying.

Also, his H/Hr stories are pretty good, characterization wise.

18. Thaumologist

High Score:
    I actually much preferred the more serious one. The drastically underage sex was a bit iffy, and I'm surprised that Jeconais allows it on his site, considering the stuff that Kinsfire had to (or was recommended to) take down (not sure on the legality, Wikipedia seems to say that it depends on the literary merit of the piece. Which I assume means "Don't write Non-Con/Beast/Homo/Pedo works and publish them unless they're decent"). But it wasn't THAT graphic, was it?

19. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

I'll look into ruskbyte's other stories then I've read a few of the others already but I'll check the rest out. I found another pairing I like Harry and OFC like in Behind Blue Eyes and the beginning of one of Abraxan's stories.

20. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Behind Blue Eyes is terrible.

If you want an good Harry Potter/OFC story.

Read this.

Yes Harry Potter is an elemental in this. Yes there are some cliches. Yes some chapters makes you go wtf. But I still like this story very much and he has improved his writting skills a lot and you can see that in the later chapters.
    \