1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Cliches

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by tragicmat1, May 13, 2011.

1. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

There was a similar thread of this back in 2006, but I don't see a point bringing that one back up as most cliches have changed since then. Anyways, this is a quick list I can think of from the top of my head.

-Hokage or any other kage screaming about the evilness of paperwork.
    (A follow up on this would be Naruto asking innocently why aren't you using clones to help)
    -Mass Kage Bunshin training at age 12 and beating Akasuki members after half a year of training.
    -Kunai in Seal comparison
    -Good Kyuubi, this includes repulsive dialogues of the fox calling Naruto "kit"
    - Seal Master Naruto (Although I must admit this is still something I sorta enjoy reading when done well)
    - Rasengen + Insert element here
    - Haku , noting more needs to be said about this
    - Hinata/Shino=Naruto best friend and the only one that understands him (Because Hinata is a stalker and Aburames knows hows it feels to have something trapped inside their body)

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.

2. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I wouldn't call this a cliche, as it's canon that the whole point of the Rasengan was to combine it with (Insert element here).

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    You forgot civilian council and mobs beating Naruto as a child

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't forget that not bringing Sasuke back is an imprisonable offence.

5. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Oh and bringing Sasuke back also means exile/death/prison

6. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

- Naruto has up to 4 elements and he can combine them, whatever he like although was it said that only this with bloodline limit can.
    - there is something like civilian council and they all hate Naruto and love Sasuke.
    - Naruto stand up to Sakura when she about to hit him of course for something like saying teme to Sasuke.
    - Naruto buying new clothes in Tenten's father shop where she is cashier.
    - Naruto have many summoning scrolls with phoenixes, dragons and hydras.
    - Naruto mom's was super mega swordwoman (swordman?) and she left her dragon (eventually insert some mythic creature name here) style and her sword for Naruto.
    - Naruto and/or Jiraiya fix Gaara seal and he now can sleep and he is so gratful that he share plans about invasion with Konoha, altough it's treason
    -Kumo ninja are all super nice and love Jinchuriki and they offer traning for all Jinchuriki about how control biju power.
    - Present raikage believes in individual strength not bloodlines and they are very sorry about attempted kidnapping.
    - In iwa, they kill all blonde children with blue eyes although Deidera somehow survived.
    - Danzo always manage to banish Naruto, only to attack him and try to kidnap after he left, but it's never successful, because Naruto win with root shinobi.
    - Kiri always asks Konoha for help with rebellion and Naruto always somehow manage to get involved.
    They are some, sorry if I repeated few.
    EDIT:
    On civilian council there is always pink-haired "banshee" who has some relations to Sakura.

7. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Uhh, most of those are not all that common, but if they do appear, it is time to exit story.

My most hated cliches are always character bashing.

So, Sakura can never use a normal tone of voice, its always 'screech' or 'yelled',
    Sasuke isn't actually good at fighting (even though he is a prodigy), and just 'cheats' with the sharingan.
    Kakashi only cares about Sasuke, and never teaches Naruto or Sakura anything at all, just leaves them there and trains Sasuke. Oh, and hes late to everything, hahaha!

And lots of others. Why does every character have to be exaggerated? Cheap humour is no humour at all.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe not so much a cliche, but the way that some authors insist on writing every single moment of Naruto's graduation failure/theft/success when writing a 'what if' fic.

Also, Naruto becoming friends with Ino/Sakura/Hinata/other female and changing his jumpsuit after an amazing brainwave from them about how whoever sold it to him must have wanted him to get himself killed.

Alternatively, Naruto giving an inspiring argument in order to keep his jumpsuit about how learning stealth while wearing bright orange will just make him so much better at it than if he'd worn camo.

Edit: Also, fucking Danzo.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Naruto beaten to near death as a child, especially at his birthday. Buying poisoned food, attempted assassinations etc. The Third not being able to do a thing to stop it.
    Every time I read a story like this, I rage.

Edit: Also, katanas at age 11.

10. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Doesn't seem that implausible considering it's a village of ninjas. Either way it's just the weapon that particular author chose to give to the character so it doesn't really bother me.

Obviously if the character goes on to master every single aspect of the weapon in a month, then finding out some incredible way to forge swords in a way no professional weapon smith has previously thought of, making his weapon 10 times better than the average sword. Usually the sword has some incredible special ability as well. That kind of annoys me.

11. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

- Kyuubi-sensei.

- Yondaime or Kushina leaving Naruto a scroll with everything he needs to know about the past, jutsu and stuff they couldn't possibly know. (Also a HP cliché)

- Naruto is strong in the academy. Sasuke demands a fight. Sasuke gets embarrassed.

- Danzou as the evil one. I think people misconstrue his intentions. He's so patriotic that his methods in making sure Konoha is safe come off as evil. You rarely see Danzou portrayed as a good guy with shady methods. It's always evil with evil methods.

- Speaking of Danzou and being portrayed as evil. What is with the fandom's hard on with having Danzou be the one to banish Naruto from the village? Given who he is and the type of guy he is the LAST thing he would do is banish the villages only jinchuuriki. OOC.

- Super council/weak Hokage. Nothing more annoying than Konoha being the equivalent to a constitutional monarchy (England).

That's all for now.

12. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Used to be true, but evidently you can be trained to do combination. I suspect that Kishi will retcon it that it was some of things they could do with the combination elements, teleport between mirrors, control bijuu etc., that is limited to a bloodline.

13. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

- Weapons from Bleach: Giving Naruto Benihime or Zangetsu or whatever = BAD IDEA. This extends a little less forcefully to the rest of anime, but I'm less annoyed with the rest of the fandoms Naruto is crossed with. Bleach is far and away the worst offender.

- Sealing as the ultimate weapon, that is really better in every way to every other technique, but isn't used because it takes too much chakra? I call bullshit. As far as I can tell, sealing masters are basically glorified combat lawyers, not reality hackers like they are all too often portrayed.

- Naruto ninjas as "real ninjas", dressed in black, with ninja-to, that go around killing people and angsting about it. Just about the only thing that the Naruto world does right is portray them as soldiers, rather than assassins.

14. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It's not bloodline limit, its bloodline selection - two different things. About second we know practically nothing.
    http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kekkei_tōta
    Says that it maybe is not genetic, but we know too little, about it.
    I also meant something else sitaution like this:
    Kakashi "Push chakra into this special paper, and we will know what's is your chakra's nature"
    Naturo after doing it see paper cuts in halves and next left half soak and right half ignite and turn to ash.
    "Wow Naruto you have affinity for wind, water and fire*"

*I am not sure but, I think that, there were said somewhere that itachi nature transformation are rather rare, because its the hardest for person having affinity for fire jutsu learn opposite nature transformation that's being water.

15. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yeah, I guess I have to rephrase it a little. I have no problem with Rasenshuriken, but I do hate it when Naruto magically learns various elements and can combine them into Rasengan shortly after. Yondaime had problem doing so, so I would imagine it would be harder for Naruto to do so with an element not his primary affinity (But than again, Shadow clones are like cheat codes for Naruto). I've lost count how many times a Fire Rasengan that "looks as brilliant as a sun" has appeared. Also a lot of Darkness Rasengan whenever it's a Kyuubi sensei fic.

Oh, and here are a couple I just thought of.

-Pakkun's stupid soft paws.
    - The Konohamaru trio's special attack, " Puppy eyes no jutsu"
    - Orochimaru's " kukukuku"
    - Anko's curse seal. This usually leads to Seal Master Naruto either sealing it or getting rid of it, and subsequent fucking comes afterwards
    - Little Sasuke as a manifestation of his curse seal in his mind
    - Naruto's lucky gambling. Although, this is one I still get a laugh out of when done well.

16. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Hokage being powerless against the village in general. You can always tell a nice session of angsterbation is coming up after this...He's the God of Shinobi and stood against the First and Second Hokages with Orochimaru in the background as an old man. No bitch ass civilian is gonna tell him what to do.

Kakashi favouring Sasuke because he reminds him of himself at that age. Yeah, let's go with that, cause he's totally going to favour a behaviour that he has grown to despise over his mentor's son who resembles the team mate who gave his life for him.

...A recent slew of shitty Naruto fics have inspired raaaage within me.

17. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Why do you think I made this thread? ;)

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot this.

Rinnegan Naruto. While I have read that were done well, especially as canon Naruto in the manga almost seems to foreshadow he will recieve this, I really don't want to read more stupid fics that has Naruto spamming Shinra Tenseis and everybody else in the back going OMG! He's unbeatable.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  18. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Speaking of powerups....

Naruto receiving bloodlimit/kyuubisensei/otherbullshitpowerup while in the academy and then proceeding to pwn everyone save Orochimaru in the forest of death...

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've never once met any of these, and I've read a lot of Naruto fics. This is about cliches, not stuff that you read and don't like.

Also, misunderstood/Kyuubi or fem/Kyuubi. Just :fire

20. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Really? I can sort of see why you haven't read much of the Rasengan ones, as that has died down a bit since Rasenshuriken was first created in the manga. So I guess it could come off of a cliche list by now.

But Pakkun's soft paws comes up every single time he's freaking summoned.The "Puppy eyes no jutsu" was something I didn't even think would need to be discussed.

Also, what I meant by the little Sasuke manifestation was that the curse seal always contains a piece of Orochimaru's soul. He then starts to warp Sasuke's mind, usually by showing him his past again in the form of his younger self.