1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Cliches

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by tragicmat1, May 13, 2011.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's fanon, not canon.

Canon explicitly says Ino was better than Sakura when they graduated from the Academy. The fact that Sakura managed to fight Ino to a tie actually surprised both Kakashi and Asuma, and was referred to as a sign that her abilities had massively improved.

As for the whole Inner Sakura thing, making it any more than a way to represent her inner thoughts and repressed assertive side is an annoying cliche.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eww, citing fanon as canon. I'm bad. :facepalm

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's the inevitable risk of reading too much fanfiction and/or spending too much time in a specific fandom; once you hear a fanon idea repeated often enough, or just run across one really good fanfic that pushes a fanon idea very effectively, you start to forget that it's technically not canon and accept it as fact.

4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

God, where do I start with this shit?

Yet Naruto impressed his examiners because he fucking broke the test.

It was a test of resolve, not of intelligence gathering.

Period.

Obviously Naruto's battle skills were over and above what most other genin could do, and tree walking is not only an advanced chakra control exercise but a very useful battle skill that high level ninja use all the fucking time.

Does everyone else forget that Naruto single-handedly curbstomped a whole Ame team in the Forest of Death in order to get Team 7 their 2nd scroll? And that he did it with his chakra significantly disrupted by Orochimaru's seal?

No?

Oh hi there Hinata, heir apparent of the Hyuuga clan.

But seriously, we don't have any evidence that the children get advanced training from early childhood.

We have very concrete evidence, however, that they get clan training from the second they become genin. How the hell can you refute this, when they all know relatively complex clan techniques and specialized abilities which couldn't have possibly been passed on from their jounin instructors?

Sasuke gives us a very clear, if unusual, picture of clan life and training. Why assume that the other clans operate under completely different conditions?

Ahahahahaha! Oh God, wait for it.

You mean Naruto, who almost lobotomized fucking Zabuza? You mean Naruto who hit Haku in the face with a shuriken?

Send me some of the crack you're smoking, sir.

You can't train someone to respond well under pressure. There's a reason that Kakashi signed them up for the exam and it wasn't because he thought they were all ready to make chuunin.

Read the manga.

Failure. I sense it.

5. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Anything Naruto/Sakura/Sasuke can do is all learned from the academy and self training unless specifically shown to be trained by Kakashi.

6. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

His curb-stomping of the Ame team, his ingenious planning in handling Zabuza? Naruto versus Kiba, where he improv'd goddamn taijutsu while being fundementally crippled?

Already noted as fanon.

How about every single other genin besides the main and secondary characters? Team Amegakure that tried to jump them? The people that Kiba and his team ambushed? The people Gaara straight up murdered?

I'm pretty sure he straight on punished a snake that Orochimaru was riding and it was the snake who jobbed.

... He fucking improv'd a move that did the same thing that Sasuke's did, except Sasuke improv'd + copied Lee's own move. He beat up the hell out of Team Amegakure, and he did a good job fighting Gaara.

No, I meant that Kakashi probably did teach her to handle the pressure in someway, considering she looks after her teammates, stands guard and set up complicated traps all around them to protect them.

And she didn't participate in any fights. That's my entire point. She was green, not a coward. Her first real fight was against genin of higher experience and skill, and she still tried to go down fighting after realizing that thus far, Naruto and Sasuke had done the bulk of the fighting on her behalf, even though they were a team.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    His training was off-screen and was talked about.

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Why would we need to hear about them getting training outside of plot-revelant techniques like the Rasengan and Chidori? They obviously spend most their time training, bonding, going on mission etc, but we don't need to be constantly reminded of it.

9. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    So it makes sense? Honestly all of Sasuke's fire attacks he used in the Chuunin exams were pretty awesome, so if Kakashi taught them to him we would know. We know for a fact Goukakyu was taught to him by his father. It's just confusing, I don't think Kakashi is a terrible teacher, just a tardy one.

10. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

^ Yeah. And just pointing out here, Team 7 is able to keep up with most of the kids in the Chunin Exam in straight speed/strength. Obviously this is a great improvement over their skills when they graduated the academy. For once I agree with fanon that Jounin-sensei probably don't teach their genin jutsu or advanced techniques until they get to chunin.

Also, I laughed a little at 'their families don't give them any training, apart from clan jutsu'. Clan jutsu which usually involve an intense use of speciallized maneuvers and a unique style of either taijutsu or combat. Yeah, no advantage there...

11. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Oh my goodness, the whole Top Rookie, Top Kunoichi, and Dobe thing was FANON? I think that tops everything o,o It's probably used in every single fanfiction that starts out in the graduating academy timeline.

But anyways, I do agree with the whole Kakashi not being the best teacher, but he's probably not a completely bad one as fanon often portrays him as most of the time.

I don't really want to spend the time looking for scan links so I'm just going to reference things I remember. If I mix fanon and canon, please kindly correct me.

While you may argue that Naruto is stronger than your average weak genin, I think we should focus on the characters that are actually shown. Sure their year are full of monsters, but so what? We are comparing Naruto to them, and not some filler character that nobody cares about.

Even in the beginning, I think Naruto has shown great plans/strategies during fights. Examples would be the Zabuza fight and part of Kiba's fight. I still like the fanon idea that Naruto's henge is a bit special when people are so often surprised by a supposedly "basic" technique.

However, putting his fighting ability on a scale, he doesn't really stand a chance. There was not a single major fight he won with his own abilities and always seemed to use the Kyuubi's. (I don't count his fart...)
    Mind you, most of these people were genin as well.

As for Kakashi's role in all this, if he actually did train Naruto, then Sasuke and Sakura wouldn't be spending so many scenes always wondering "When did he get this strong?" 0,0

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  12. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I agree with you.

Naruto had a lot of potential, with his limitless chakra and all. I think the whole kakashi never trained them thing comes from the fact that he didn't thought them not even one jutsu.

Sasukes katon jutsu is probably from his family or from sharingan, after he activated it. Sakura was pretty much useless till the shippuuden.

But Naruto? His only jutsu was rasengan and kage bunshin. I mean he kept screaming ''Rasengan! Rasengan!'' after the finding tsunade arch. He could've become so much more.

It also doesn't help that almost all of his techniques are self thought. As even rasengan was, a jutsu that had to be figured out by the user. So almost all of his technique's are self thought.

Anyway, another cliche is Naruto learns some super, uper, duper technique or finding some immensly powerful artifact. Be it a hollow mask, sword, etc...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  13. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I think I've never read a single one of those, mainly because I drop the fic if I see something hinting the story will be like that.

14. oakes

trust me. You're doing the right thing.

15. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

... So Sasuke didn't win his fights legitimately because he used the Sharingan? And if Kiba had won, it wouldn't have counted because he used soldier pills. Same goes for Neji and his Byakugan, I suppose? The Kyuubi's chakra is a tool, same as any other. That's why Minato sealed it into Naruto in the first place, right?

The only time I would agree with your statement is when Naruto's mind is overwhelmed by the Kyuubi's chakra. The fights with Orochimaru and Pein being two examples that immediately come to mind.

When that happens, it's not Naruto's abilities. But when he uses Kyuubi, he's just augmenting his own strengths, same as when Sasuke uses the Sharingan or the curse seal.

16. oakes

Yes it's a tool to be used. But, Naruto doesn't control that power. It just responds to his emotional state. And it shows as he loses control of it after a while.

17. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Yeah. Maybe I read it entirely wrong, but Naruto didn't seem all that emotionally unstable when he got his chakra sealed up by Neji in the exams.

He can access it when he wants to, but he doesn't like to use it. So most of the time we see it is when he's not consciously drawing on it.

18. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Sorry not going to lie when I say this but I hate how half of Naruto's fights are won by the Kyuubi. I am not saying he didn't win coz he did but it just feels lame. During the Chuunin exams training month Jirayia could of taught him something else. Same shit with his 3 year trip I dislike his reliance on it. I loved the Pein Fight because it was legit badass Naruto used his own abilities which was badass. I was scared when he flipped out over Hinata and went Kyuubi but he still won it like a champ.

19. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It has always bothered me that Naruto has a power-up that he never uses until enraged. Kishi started Naruto's development in the fight with Neji, then backtracked him for the chance to get Naruto beat up as a plot device. Every other Jinchuuriki he meets has incredible control of their beast.

20. Striped

Striped Muggle

A couple off the top of my head:

Naruto dies/loses everything, but Kyuubi, who is now his bff, sends them back in time so he can angst about what happened while Kyuubi tries to make him feel better.

Envious!Sasuke challenging an improved Naruto to fight only to get wtfpwned. I know this has some canon backing, but I swear I see it in every Naruto fic.