1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Naruto: Iron Soul by PlaceholderName - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Republic, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Title: Naruto: Iron Soul
    Author: PlaceholderName
    Rating: T
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairing: None so far
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 101,540
    Updated: Jul 13, 2012
    Published: May 28, 2012

Summary: Not many people can manage to turn getting blown up and impaled into an advantage. Most people aren't Uzumaki Naruto! Follow Naruto's path as he becomes one with his Iron Soul.

Linkage

A gem amongst Naruto fanfics, this baby boasts many things. A divergence and subsequent ability that are, at least somewhat, original, very impressive characterisation of Naruto and those around him, boss!Third, the author isn't afraid to diverge from canon, and shows it. There will be no canon rehash shit.
    Very good writing in general, which only amplifies the quality of this story by not providing annoying distraction and breaking immersion.

Easily a 4.5/5, with the rating possibly going up t 5/5 if the author continues like this.

Thoughts?

EDIT by Minion, March 29, 2015
    Rep officially requested this to be marked as abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

It's been a while since I've enjoyed a naruto fanfic to this extent. As said, the author isn't afraid to deviate from canon, but what stikes me the most is the fact that everything seems incredebly well thought-out, especially in terms of Naruto's "bloodline" and strenght. One of my few gripes is that I wished the author offered more scenes involving team nine and how they interact.

Edit: Oh and I found Sasuke's treatment a bit disproportionnal but it's outweighted somewhat by the new approaches it can bring.

Between a 4 and 4.5/5 can become a 5 in the long-run.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

More interactions would be nice, except most authors get bogged down in character interactions and forget they're writing a story with a plot.

I really want to give this story five big-ones, but with where the story is right now things could either get really good or really really bad. The author's done a wonderful job of breaking away from canon (both with character and plot development) and there have been a lot of changes, but I don't want this fic to end up as 'different for the sake of being different' and not actually worth anything in the end.

Tentative 4/5 with the potential for a bump up to 5.

4. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Yeah I get what you mean. The author found a good balance, it's me nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Just skimming the earlier chapters, but I would have much preferred if the author had stuck with a straight apprenticeship rather than shifting gears to put him on a team.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've been following this. I rate it at a 4/5 easily with potential to go up higher.

7. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

definite 4/5, with the recent chapters making me hopeful it'll go to 5/5. It has it's odd quirks that annoyed me at first (teacher/student rather than the Japanese counterpart), But it's grown on me.

Overall a rather enjoyable read.

8. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I'm up to chapter 7 so far and I've been dissappointed. Have I just not gotten to the good parts yet or do you see something I don't?

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

IMO, you haven't gotten to the good parts yet. I found the first part of the story to be fairly tedious to get through. Keep going.

I'll get around to posting an actual review at some point.

10. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

I got up to chapter 25, and it was only the glowing reviews it had received here that kept me that long. It's not bad exactly but it's just very boring. I don't care about any of the characters, there is no excitement, no suspense. I found myself completely uncaring about the health of the main characters during any of the fight scenes. It's good writing from a mechanical sense, but I was never really immersed.

3/5

11. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

There were some parts I thought were stupid or childish and I was kind of annoyed by how easy everything seems to be for Naruto's team. I do understand they're skilled and have a rather large advantage with their weapons, Buyakugan and Naruto's iron thingy. Not to mention the Kyuubi, although I don't remember Naruto using it that much (at all?), other than the passive uses. I'd just like to see them take some real damage once in a while. I did like the fight scenes otherwise.

Regardless of the flaws I found myself clicking next chapter until there were no more chapters to read. For some reason this is really entertaining. I'll give it a 4/5.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I skimmed it and I must admit that the last chapter is a game changer, but the story as a whole didn't manage to win me over. It's about 3.5/5 rounded to 3/5 for me - not bad, but not good enough to keep me reading either.

13. Ched

I am seeing a lot of the points made here. I didn't give an in-depth review myself earlier, but it'd be something along the lines of...

I liked some of the differences made; I was especially surprised at how much I liked Ebisu in this fic. He's not the powerhouse that Kakashi is, but he specializes in teaching, and he's still a good portion stronger than his charges are (for now). Though it does mean that I keep expecting him to get killed off at some point.

The Iron thing is... weird. I sort of wish it was toned down a bit, actually, but given that it's Naruto and the Kyuubi is involved and crazy shit *does* happen in the Narutoverse... well, it could be worse.

I thought characterizations were alright. They aren't the best that I've ever encountered but they are interesting. Naruto and the Hokage are close. Ebisu is as much a father figure as he is a mentor, at least at first. Tenten and Naruto are friends and Neji seems at least accepting of Naruto. They work well together, etc.

In hindsight I still think this is a solid 4/5, if only because I did want to keep reading and didn't finish til I got through the entirety of the posted chapters. But I'm no longer sure that it can edge into 5/5 territory later -- it's good, but it's not quite that good.

14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

^^

I agree with most everything said here.

When I first started reading, I thought to myself, "how cool is it gonna be when Naruto can channel really strong wind chakra to any part of his body?" Then they author went with this whole iron element thing, which frankly I can't really figure out in my head. On top of that, the author is a little ninjutsu-happy. I remember reading how strong kid Naruto became after his change, and yet I can't really recall him doing any sort of taijutsu in his fights. It's all just metal this, metal that. Even the other members of his team seem incapable of doing anything but flashy ninjutsu, aside from maybe Ebisu.

Ebisu seems completely unrecognizable in this story, and every time I try to visualize him in a scene, I have to stop and think "who is this guy again?" His personality was completely lost in the first chapter he appears in. He's also a bit stronger than I'd expect the canon Ebisu to be. Very knowledgeable and a fount of wisdom for a young ninja he may be, but I could never imagine him doing anything more than getting tossed around like a rag doll in a fight (which we all recall he was).

I did enjoy that the author was brave enough to kill off Orochimaru so quickly, even though I sort of rolled my eyes at the method. On top of that I never really saw Hiruzen and Danzou's relationship to be quite so antagonistic, though the manga makes it very, very hard to tell.

Killing Gaara was a good move, I think, though again the ease with which it happened surprised me. If Naruto is already this powerful how can he realistically be challenged by anyone but the very strongest characters in the manga, even at this early stage? His abilities just seem a little too strong, and the author I think is tempering this by holding back Naruto's opponents.

I'm genuinely wondering if Naruto could just tank an opponent like Kiba all day long. Can a bladed weapon even hurt him now? Can any sort of physical attack?

15. Ched

Ebisu's strength bothered me at first but it got better when he made his report and said that his enemy on the ship was... high-B rank? Or something like that. I can see Ebisu being at *that* level at least. Zabuza, who was S-rank, would have been a completely different story.

I do find myself wondering where the story is going though. I caught the foreshadowing where Naruto gives the Hokage some kind of metal location device he designed -- I guess that'll be used to teleport Naruto into some kind of situation where he can keep the Hokage from dying. Though granted Orochimaru is dead so perhaps not.

But I guess I'm not sure where the story is going. Are we just going to rehash canon with metal and a lot more dead antagonists? Or what?

16. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Oh, I was also raging a little at reading the "Teacher" and "Student" crap. People in Naruto don't talk like that. Nobody talks like that.

What with the the author's apparent hate for all things Japanese, I found it incredibly pathetic when he had Naruto claiming that he was going to be the Rokudaime Hokage on multiple occasions. Why the hell would Naruto want to be the Sixth Hokage? He can't count?

17. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Frankly, the story doesn't draw me in nearly as much as some others. The characters are dry and their growth, while admittedly present, is minimal. Naruto is overpowered like crazy, and this is basically just one crazy adventure where the metal wtfpwns after another. It's a decent enough story, with a novel powerup, but hardly groundbreaking. Comparing it to other stories I am currently following, like Dreaming With Sunshine, Life in Konoha's ANBU and Worth Dying For, this one just doesn't measure up in terms of characterization, making me care about the outcome or the next adventure, or anything really. It's a 3.5, bumped up to 4 for the new idea in the premise and the fact that it is kept relatively fresh.

4/5

18. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I already gave my review on the quality Naruto fics. 3/5

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Yeah, I really should have reviewed earlier.

It's interesting, features a unique power and shows definite deviations from canon. At the same time it's not very immersive, the anti-Jap tendencies are fucking annoying, and it would be improved with a greater focus on the characters rather than the powers and events.

I'd give it a 3.5/5 and it just manages a 4/5 when rounded. I'll keep following it but I won't be eager for an update.

20. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yea, character development is subpar. But, a good read nonetheless. 3.5/5, maybe a 4/5 depending on how author handles current arc.