1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Law

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Chengar Qordath, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Quoted for truth. I propose we rename this thread to " Variable Invariabilities in Naruto Fandom."

Yes, Crappy name.

Still, This thread got me back into Naruto Fanfics, so all I need is to find some worthwhile ones to read. (by the way, I accept private messages with all those guilty pleasures fics you've read and never had the guts to post here.)

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I found a time-line someone had made on the Naruto forums a long time ago; looks like you're right - sixty years.

--

This should definitely be a rule, all by itself.

--

Canon is rather screwed up when it comes to logic, in many areas, and we ought to remember that when defining any rules; it makes no sense in canon - it makes no sense in fiction. But there's a problem with thinking like that: there's a difference between what makes a flashy animation good to watch and what makes a story good to read.

Ever find that authors who like to blow things up with large, flashy explosions seem to be aiming the whole thing at having it in a film, and having it in a book doesn't work too well? (Here's looking at you, Dan Brown) Well, my point is that regardless of what's awesome to look at, if you're writing a story then stick to what works well in stories - complex scenarios, dilemmas, solutions, emotions and reactions.

I don't care what canon is like, when you write you god-damned make sure that it's not dull as anything while trying to be flashy.

--

One thing that always irks me with Naruto stories is how everyone seems to get the impression that once a ninja has gone up in rank they are suddenly invulnerable to all those beneath them in rank.

They're still human, guys. Humans make mistakes - humans still die when pointy things are pushed into their throats.

A jounin, by all rights, is more skilled than a chuunin and a genin. Better suited for a leadership role, more experienced, stronger in many senses. But that doesn't mean they're invincible to their less-skilled peers.

--

Oh, and what is with everyone forgetting about chuunin? It seems like in every story that chuunin aren't taken seriously (no matter what canon thinks); 'chuunin' is an actual rank to be achieved, not just a mid-stage in between genin and jounin. Only the elite make it to jounin - most ninjas remain chuunin their lives, and that's perfectly fine. There need to be chuunin to make the village work, and not all of them do menial tasks or work as an academy instructor.

...Alright, so the last two were mostly just my rants at canon.

So, my two laws:

1) There's a difference between what makes a flashy animation good to watch and what makes a story good to read.

2) Canon should not always be god's law presiding over every little detail: if you can do it better, do so.

/long post

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No worse than the current one really; whatever this thread is, it isn't the Naruto version of Potter Law. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd rather have named it something like "Things to Avoid in Naruto Fanfiction."

That probably is the source of many issues with fanfiction from just about any non-literature medium; lots of writers can't translate from one media to another. There's a lot of potential for fanfiction that focuses on the sort things that tend to be neglected in Naruto because Anime/Manga just doesn't suit those kinds of stories.

Anime also tends to add complications for a lot writers since it includes lots of Japanese cultural input that fanfic writers don't always grasp; when the Naruto cast suddenly all start acting like Americans the results are rather jarring to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Chuunin Level - adj.
    1. Possessing skills, power, knowledge, and experience equal to that of a chuunin.
    2. Characterized as a nameless, faceless, throw-away character - often killed off-panel or as a means to express the formidable power of "real characters."
    3. Cannon fodder.
    ex. 1: "The chuunin level character Mizuki was defeated by a not-yet graduated academy student."
    ex. 2: "By defeating a horde of fodder ninja without sustaining a single blow, Sasuke demonstrated that they possessed only chuunin level skills."
    ex. 3: "Were he above mere chuunin level, the ANBU agent would never have attempted to jump through the Sound Four's defensive barrier."
    ex. 4: "Relying on only their chuunin level abilities, the guards outside of Konoha's walls were helpless to prevent their off-panel deaths when faced with a single Path of Pain."

The only characters that possess the rank of chuunin but do not fall under the "chuunin level" category are the Rookies. All other chuunin are not worthy of mention (unless of course you're mentioning their uninspired deaths), or they exist in the story outside of fighter roles.

Does this address your concern?

5. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Also dont forget the verb form.
    Chuunined
    Example in a sentenced.
    "Where did shiro go?"
    "Oh he was chuunined by an actual character."

6. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

That makes it sound kind of dirty.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Shikimaru actually fails, because despite his planning ahead any opponent with more chakra than he does is able to power out of the shadow jutsu.

8. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Hidan disagrees with you.

9. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Not sure if this was added yet but:

No one except Naruto's love interest (iffy even at that) should describe the colour of his eyes using the word "cerulean".

I just read a fanfic where either Anko sees him for the first time when he's around 6 years old for a couple minutes. She then proceeds to describe him to Yuugao as having "deep cerulean blue eyes". Normal people would say his eyes are blue.

"deep cerulean blue eyes" are reserved for pedophiles with eye fetishes.

I guess a more general rule would be:

Girls writing Naruto fanfiction (and indeed all fanfiction) must stop masturbating when writing a physical description of male characters.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Hashasheen

Hidan didn't have him beat in chakra, did he? It's shown in one of the two fights he's ever in (Tayuya) that superior chakra reserves can hold off the shadow chakra and push it back. Hidan was just a dumbass who got lucky with an immortality jutsu.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

If you take the stat levels given in the databooks for anything, Hidan had a shitload of chakra. Regardless, I would imagine that pretty much ANY S-Class ninja would seriously outclass Shikamaru in that capacity.

12. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    An S-Class ninja would probably beat Shikamaru easily in just about every category except intelligence; Shikamaru's ninja skills are pretty mediocre for his level. It's his brain that makes him dangerous.

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

If I wanted to, I could probably argue this point from a databook perspective to some extent, but that would mean defending Shikamaru and I can't stand him so LOL.

14. Hashasheen

Then that doesn't make sense. Anybody with a serious amount of chakra reserves should have overwhelmed the shadow jutsu like Tayuya did. I call plothole then.

15. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

... I can't even remember what happened in the Tayuya fight; but if she could overwhelm it based on chakra then Hidan shoulda been able to do so easily.

Though if you said "will based"; then I suppose that's believable. Hidan's a homicidal freak who got given his power. Tayuya clawed her way there. So therefore; I'd assume pretty much all the S classed nins other then Hidan would have no trouble so Shikamaru got a break there. Even so though; it would still be a weak explanation. So yeah; I'd go with plot hole.

16. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I expect better than this, LT.

Kill yourself.

Or not. Otherwise, don't try to build up Hidan of all people - the joke Akatsuki - to anything more than a sideshow act.

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Oh, I fully agree that Hidan was garbage. Databooks still gave him a high chakra score, LOL. You can fault Kishimoto on that point.

...Even so, I still think Hidan is superior to Shikamaru and the outcome of that battle was complete BS (though I think I would probably say the same about the death of every other Akatsuki member too). And I also think it's reasonable to say that most/all S-Class ninja would almost certainly have more chakra than Shikamaru, since he's pretty mediocre in every physical aspect of ninja-ing. The only ones I'm not certain about on that point are Hiruzen right there at the end (he didn't really even have enough to properly use Kage Bunshin) and Itachi (who for whatever strange reason - I suppose his phantom 'illness' - didn't look to really have too high of a chakra capacity).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  18. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I would say as a rule the Akatsuki are far superior to all of the 11 with the exception of Naruto. And while Sasuke was capable of killing Deidara, he was way out of his league against Itachi.

19. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Sasuke wasn't able to kill Deidara, Deidara killed himself planning to take Sasuke with him. At that point, it was very much a stalemate.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  20. Jeopardizer

Jeopardizer First Year

Btw, does Hidan use chakra anyway?
    For what we know, all his jutsus/power could be religion related and thus, he give no shit about chakra, so Shikamaru overpowering him isn't THAT har dto imagine.

Imo, the kagemane depends on the quantities of chakra used versus active time, plus the physical force of the launcher versus the defender.
    Whatever.

Rule n : Naruto does not have the necessary dentary complex to inject special demonic chakra enchanced venom to mark his harem of soulmates.

n.a : Naruto can't have a soulmate. period.

n.b : Kyubbi can't give a bloodline who make hears or tails grow to Naruto.