1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Naruto: Myoushuu no Fuuin by May Wren - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by CrimsonEmperor, May 4, 2011.

1. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Updated. I share some of the concerns mentioned above regarding some of the cliches present in the earlier part of this story. Though, I do think this is getting a lot better as it goes along, judging by the latest chapter.

I would have given this story a 3/5 near the beginning, but as of the latest update I'm leaning more towards 4/5 or 4.5/5

2. artenry

artenry Guest

The dynamic between the characters is amazingly well done.The 'touchy-feeley' business is something I can actually appreciate, because a little humanity is always nice when the characters go through the shit they've gone through.

Sakura's parents get brutally killed, just after they have a family fight in which the father just about disavows her as his own daughter? Naturally, she gets upset, and gets touchy-feeley with her surrogate family. Humanity.

Naruto, believing he's the son of a prostitute, and having grown up in the seediest, worst part of Konoha where's he done acts of questionable morality every day just to survive, suffers from believing anyone could possibly like him for who he is. And when he's shown definitive proof, he breaks down, and gets touchy-feeley with his surrogate family. Humanity.

3. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

This shouldn't be in the recycling bin on the basis of a few cliches, because frankly, I've never seen cliches pulled off so well. They are actually enjoyable to read here. The progression of each character and the team in general is really good. Characterisation and interaction is pretty much perfect.

Naruto excels in fuuinjutsu but otherwise isn't special, so he's no Gary Stu. And fuuinjutsu is really nicely portrayed in this fic. I also like how all the older characters know full well he's the Fourth's son but don't say anything. Their impressions of Naruto are heavily coloured by it, but the author thankfully keeps Naruto in ignorance.

Naruto's background isn't really canon, but so what? The author gave her (?) own interpretation of an orphaned childhood, which happens to be a lot rougher and darker than what was shown in the shounen canon. Also it seems to be based off earlier Japanese society, somewhat like that portrayed in the film Memoirs of a Geisha. I thought it was an interesting approach, far superior to the usual routine of Naruto getting beaten up on by random villagers on his birthday every year (*exasperated sigh*).

Jiraiya is cool in this fic. Kakashi progresses from a lazy and apathetic sensei to a good mentor in a believable fashion.

5/5 from me.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I don't mind cliche's, as long as the writing is decent. I'd assumed this to be utter trash, but it seems it may not be, so I'll give it a read. Variety from canon always helps.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It had rather weak start that made almost drop this fic, but later chapters started to be very enjoyable. I can almost see author improving his skills from one chapter to another.

I also like how it follows the canon and still adds many new elements to keep it fresh. The first part of the Chuunin Exam was interesting and I hope that the next one will be even better.

All in all 4/5 from me. If the beginning was better, not around very weak 3/5 as it is now, the whole story could even get 5 from me.

6. The Black

The Black First Year

update

Update, didn't read tough...here

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think I read this ages ago based on a few comments I saw in the thread. It was 3/5 at best imo, but I won't rate the actual thread because it's been so long since I read it. If I re-read I'll rate it officially then.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Read the update, but meh I just can't get ramped up for reading the Chuunin Exams for the seven hundred quadrillion and eighth time. People like to whine about Wave Country, but if there is one arc that I wish more authors would axe out of their canon rehashes it would be the fucking exams.

Not that I'm calling this story or the execution of the exams a rehash of canon, since it obviously isn't.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was pleased to see an update here, as the interaction between Kakashi and the other jounin is something I've not seen before. Team 7 has been done well too. I'd give this a 3.5 leaning to 4/5.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've had this vibe that Naruto's been raped in the ass, ever since he revealed his questionable Red Light past in that touchy feely context.

3/5.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At least the author seems to be trying to get it over with as fast as possible. As detailed and interesting as the chapters normally are, she's basically blasting through the chuunin exam arc.

4/5, with room for growth.

Obi