1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need recommendations for a new SSD.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Innomine, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, so SSDs aren't something I know a lot about, and I'm in the market for a new one.

I currently have an Intel one from 3 years ago, but I broke the connection and have to have it wedged in place for it to work right now.

About to move, so don't know if it will survive the trip.

Looking at around 250gb capacity. I have a 2tb storage disk.

Was pretty happy with my intel one, but I'd appreciate recommendations for what's the best going around right now. Price is important, but willing to pay a bit extra if it's worth it.

Reliability is more important than pure speed for me. I think any SSD will be fast enough for my needs. (occasional gaming)

2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I went with a Samsung EVO 250GB for my current build. I've heard people recommend Crucial SSD's as well.

3. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If you can still get the Crucial MX100 at a reasonable price, I'd recommend that one. Otherwise there's it's successor the Crucial BX100 that isn't too bad, and of course the new Samsung 850 Evo (though if you trust them after the problems with the 840 Evo is something you have to decide). You could also go for Intel again, but they tend to be on the expensive side.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

NAND gonna NAND. Pick an SSD, read reviews, if people aren't moaning that it died for no reason then it's probably kosher.

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ($249) got an 8 out of 10 in last month's issue of Maximum PC, and the OCZ ARC 100 240GB ($100) got a 9.

6. Innomine

High Score:
    Sacro Well, I can get both of these.

MX100

850 EVO

The Intel ones are the same price as the Samsung, but with 10gb less storage. :/

Why do you recommend the older model of the Crucial ones in particular?

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Because, for some reason, Crucial left out two things on the BX100 compared to the MX100 - drive encryption and the key for the free Acronis True Image software, and is thus mostly seen as inferior to the MX100. Also there's the fact that I can speak from personal experience for it, since I've got the 256GB one and it runs nicely.

Also those australian prices are as insane as always lol.

8. kaleironfist

kaleironfist Third Year

If reliability if your angle, I'd pick the 850 EVO/PRO or Intel 530/730. They've got five year warranties (ten for the 850 PRO) instead of the usual three years.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm using a Samsung 840 EVO in my current build (built it a year ago). No complaints at all, works perfectly.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Crucial MX100 is seen as a successor to the M4 in some ways yeah? At least that's what I wrote down in my file of things to buy. The M4 used to be the one to get, along with the Samsung 840 or Intel 530. Now it's MX100, 850, or 730?

Regardless I haven't read any reviews that talked about something outside of those three upgrade lines.

11. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

I actually just installed my new SSD which is an 850 EVO. I did a bit of research and the EVO seemed to be the most well recieved model, though I don't think you'd go wrong with companies like Sandisk or Crucial. I paid 180 for the 500gb model, though I think the 250 is like ~90$. Samsung made it really easy to clone my old disk over with their software as well, so that was a plus.

12. kaleironfist

kaleironfist Third Year

It's a bit confusing as Crucial used to only have one SSD lineup, then they had staggered releases of low and high end, without completely removing the immediate predecessor. If M4 is their highest end product (as compared to the awful V4 SSD), then it goes:

M4 -> M550 -> M600 (aka MX200)

Comparatively you have their lower cost, lower speed drives:

V4 -> M500 -> MX100 -> BX100

The BX100 is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade, but it performs a little better at the same or lower price, a little worse in terms of consistency and it throws encryption out the window.

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I bought a Crucial MX100 256GB to put in my new computer about 3 months ago for $105 through amazon, and it hasn't died on me yet, so I've been pretty satisfied.

Whatever you choose, so long as you're reading reviews for the SSD and not buying it used off craigslist, you'll probably be alright.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, picked up the MX100. Definitely seems like the right option.