1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Headset + Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jas, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

First off I am after these things from a more gaming perspective than a music one. However, I am looking for a headset and speakers that give a balanced sound if possible.

I am looking to replace my current headset simply because it is not that good. Just a simple headset with swivel type mic. Delivers average sound and mic is pretty good but it is not comfortable for long periods of time and I am looking for better quality.

Now from what has been posted in a related thread, I favour the Gamecom 777 or the Triton AX720 however no-one has mentioned the Logitech G35.

(Also if anyone knows where I can pick up the AX720 in-store in Western Aus that would be handy as it is a planned Christmas present and person buying for me is uncomfortable with online purchases of electronics)

I'm also interested if anyone knows a set that is not so bulky or like the Gamecom has an analog connection as well for more varied use.

I am also looking at new speakers as well. Either the Bose Companion 5 or the Musicmonitor. However I am open to toher suggestions. Mainly looking for a 2 or 2.1 set because I do not have room for a 5.1 set and if it can be connected to a computer and TV then it gets bonus points.

Cheers

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I personally prefer Tritons. I've got a set at home, but can't remember the model atm. Works with PS3/Xbox Optical audio. Quality is epic without the Amp it comes with, but with is even better.

Also has standard jacks for mic/headphones. Removable Mic boom, comfortable. A bit heavy, but not so much that its uncomfortable.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm interested in people's thoughts on Headsets as well. As for speakers? I can help you out there.

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/7321

I recently bought a pair of these, and they really are excellent in my opinion. The ones you linked seem to cost far more, and you definitely want a proper subwoofer. However, I would advise you looking around for a better price, I bought them off ascent.co.nz and they cost me $200NZD. $300AUD seems to be way more than I got them for.

4. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

For Headsets you could take a look at Sennheiser. Those are known for good quality and a long life.

5. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Thanks guys. I want the Tritons but lack of a local seller really brings that option down. Likewise for the headsets I am interested in for Sennheiser - specifically the new 320 as the others are above the allocated budget for a headset.

In regards to speakers I will have a look at that set. One of the reasons the Companion 5 2.1 set is so expensive is in part due to the Bose brand name but also the fact that is can code for 5.1 sound and reproduce a similar effect using only 2.1 speaker set via a USB connection. I will try and look around for that Logitech one especially if I can have a listen to it as I am planning to listen to the Companion 5. I think I'll not be getting the 2.0 set as many people I've talked to say you really need a subwoofer.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I went from a pair of $200 Bose 2.0 speakers to a $200 pair of 2.1 logitech speakers. It's impossible to describe the difference without hearing it. There's just so much more... depth to the sound.

7. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

I think I am still swayed by the name Bose carries as well. They are known for bringing premium sound products and while Logitech is good as well, I personally do not feel they are at the same level as Bose in terms of sound quality. In other gaming products, I feel they are quite good. And like I said, I am looking at the G35 for a gaming headset.

8. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

All highs and all lows? Must be Bose.

Don't be charmed by the name Bose has, it's (mostly) unwarranted. They have very good marketing, but other brands are just as good. Logitech actually makes really good quality shit.

9. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting as I just bought Logitch's G930 Wireless Headset.

I'm a bit of a geek in that regards, having owned a Steelseries 5h, 7h two different versions of the Icemat Siberias, a couple of logitech headsets and Sennheiser PC350's. (The important factor for me is the microphone/treble quality)

Of all of them the 7H were best for my particular requirements but awful for listening to music. The Sennheisers were the most balanced. These G930's are awesome, but expensive— the wireless is actually really amazing and the sound quality is almost as good as the PC350's. I'd need a little more time fiddling with them, but they're certainly going to be my go-to pair for a while.

10. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

How are the wireless range, battery capacity and loading times of the G930?

I'm on my third PC350 right now, that's within 5 years mind you, and I'm really tired of the wear and tear rendering them nonfunctional. It's unbelievable how often I manage to tangle the cable with the wheels of my chair despite trying to avoid that. That's why I'm looking into the G930 in advance, it's only a matter of time before this Sennheiser suffers the same fate, but so far I've read mixed opinions of it.

It's somehow suspicious how my headsets give out shortly after the 2 year warranty period is over. :sherlock:

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I managed to go down two floors listening to them, but my house is made of something akin to paper, so take from that what you will. I imagine they don't go miles, but certainly far enough for me to take them from this room to the next without much concern. The battery I actually haven't pushed much yet. The cable is so well managed that I quite often simply forget to unplug it for general use. According to the software a fully charged battery will last 10 hours, but I don't know how reliable that figure is.

I don't know what you mean by loading times, though.

12. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

How long it takes to recharge, but as you haven't really pushed it yet those times probably wouldn't be accurate. Anyway, thanks for the info. :)

13. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Headset I'm leaning towards a G35 for value for money. Being wireless does not bother me much and I am predominantly using it for gaming. Maybe a little music but the music would probably be via my speakers than headset. I'd like to grab the G930 but I think it is far too expensive at the moment.

Yet to have a real look into the Bose vs Logitech speaker department but hopefully will have a chance next week. Looking to get it for Christmas so I got time until then.

EDIT:
    Found the Logitech speakers in store for $159 so I will probably grab those. Saving so much money compared to the Bose and in-store buy is so convenient.

Cannot get the Triton AX720 in my country and buying via eBay is far too expensive unfortunately. So will probably grab the G35 unless anyone else has some more suggestions. Open to ideas until 20/12.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

Budgets would be nice.

The Audioengine A5s are probably the best 2.0 computer speaker system, and are expandable to 2.1 with the S8. I would go so far as to say they're the best computer speakers you can buy. The next step up would be full Klipsch or Onkyo speakers and subwoofer for another $200-300. If you like a lot of bass get something by Logitech, they go overboard, especially with their Z-5500 and Z-2300 series.

You can also make the Audioengines work with just about anything.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is a good supra-aural headset for ~$160. The Creative Labs Aurvana Lives are a decent pair for about $70.

The Fall 2011 Holiday Gift Guide at head-fi is actually a good read for headsets in general, and is worth a look if you're planning on buying commonly recommended headsets. You may need to sign up or sign in to view and download it, I'm not sure.

edit: and anything from Bose is almost assuredly overpriced, and their advertisements have as much basis as Rosetta Stone (read: none). The guy behind them has a Ph.D in psycho-acoustics too, if I recall, making it unexcusable. It's rare you'll find anything in a price point comparable to Bose that won't be better.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  15. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Ok thanks. Well I ended up going for the Logitech Z623 because the price was too good to pass up - AUD149. They look good and are manageable in size though the subwoofer is a bit large. Ended grabbing it earlier than expected because it was on sale.

With the headsets I got more time. Budget of about AUD130.

16. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

17. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Do you have these or tried them before Kai? Any reason for recc?

18. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

They're recommended by Marcus and I think he generally has good opinions wrt headphones/related tech.

edit: Marcus being the owner of headphonic

19. Centrin

Centrin Squib DLP Supporter

I recently just purchased the Audio Techinca ATH-700 to replace my failing Steelseries Sibera V2 (which were also quite good, but not quite as good as the ATH700) .

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323843658&sr=1-1n

A video review I found useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBn9NjZfNs

Definitely a great buy, works great for both music and gaming and comes highly recommended from yours truly. They usually sell for ~120$.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

For the record. I have a G35. I will never use another headset. It's sound quality is awesome, the wireless works even on my laptop. (The only difference plug and play wise is that the surround toggle won't work without the firmware, but that is hardly an issue most of the time since I use it on my laptop for music.)

The battery life is amazing as well. I can put the headset on at night, go to sleep and it'll still have at least 3 hours left to spare.