1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Xantam, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

So I'm looking to get a new laptop for school this fall. Gaming isn't a huge issue, but I would like it to be at least capable. I'd like to spend somewhere around $1000 on the laptop. Any ideas DLP?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

You're going to have to be more specific. What games would you want to play on it? Is mobility an issue? What amount of battery life would you prefer? Screen size? Resolution?

3. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If mobility wasn't an issue then he'd get a desktop.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Not necessarily.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, Sree has a point, a 17" monster isn't exactly mobile even if you can move it around, but some people prefer those if they're only going to have a single computer since they almost have the power of a desktop.

I'm looking at buying one soon myself, since my current computer has crapped out on me, so I have a few ideas. I might make my own thread later though if I don't find something.

Sony CW deal from Best Buy: This runs you $800, has a 14" screen, a new Intel iCore 3 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, a discrete Nvidia 310m graphics card (256MB), and Windows Home 64-bit.

I'm fairly sure that this processor and graphics combo will let you do some gaming on low-med resolution. It's a good size for being portable without sacrificing too much power, and it's cheap for what you get. If you have a Best Buy near you you can always go and take a look at one.

I don't know if it runs hot. I have heard that some Sony's have battery issues. The Battery life might not be as good as other, similar laptops.

If you can wait a bit, there are a lot of new laptops with some new thing called Optimus coming out soon(tm). Apparently this technology by NVidia is going to revolutionize laptops by having an automatic switch between integrated graphics and discrete to save battery and stuff. Dunno if that matters to you or not.

If you give us some more info on what you're looking for we can probably help you find better options.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I have this one and like it pretty well. I've got a bad graphics card though, so I need to send it in. (Was Shitty on Arrival...didn't break while using it, lol.)

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well... I use a mac. Guess what I'd suggest?

8. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Something which plays games. ^_^

I like Dell laptops.

Great warranty.

9. Ched

The Inspiron 1564 looks pretty good for the price. Also significantly under $1000 for a new processor and dedicated graphics, and it's a size bigger than the Sony I linked before and more customizable.

10. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Let's see specifics... Umm... screen size isn't a huge issue. Anything around 15" is probably okay. I'd like it to be fairly portable if just to take to class and such. Battery life around 4 hours seems to be pretty standard and I'm fine with that. As for games, I probably won't be playing anything too high end as I'm more into the Age of Empires type of deal than anything like Crysis, most of my gaming will be on my 360. And I'm not sure about resolution, whatever you guys would suggest I suppose.

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm also looking to buy a laptop, for Uni, replacing my desktop. How much of a power loss should I expect going a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 on the Inspiron from a GeForce 9500 GS on my desktop. The levels of RAM are equal but my desktop's a quad core, while the Inspiron looks to be a Dual.

12. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Heres some benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4330.13973.0.html

Not much difference except a couple of frames i would assume. You won't really notice a difference between quad-core and dual-core simply because most applications barely utilize dual-core. Of course, its always good for multi-tasking and such.

In terms of brand, i would definitely go for anything Asus-made, great build quality.

www.tigerdirect.com has some decent refurbished ones for cheap if you are on a budget, though not as good for gaming.

13. Ched

Speaking of Asus -- is there anywhere that makes it easier to sort through their laptops? Their website sucks, as does Acer's. I'd probably have bought one from them if I could navigate the site decently, but you can't look for, say, just 13.3" laptops with discrete graphics. You have to look at every damn laptop link without knowing what's gonna be on the other side.

Unless I'm missing something. <3 Lenovo.

14. ForsakenOne

I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?CatId=17&sel=Mfr;Mfr_107&srkey=Asus Laptops

You can filter it even more on the left, generally i would go for the EEE series for a great netbook (10+ hour battery life), and G series for anything gaming.

15. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Speaking of new laptops, I was wondering if anyone could let me know about the quality of this one that I am about to buy for $450.

the laptop is a Toshiba satellite L500D/015 model
    the specs are:
    cpu is amd athlon dual core
    15.6 inch screen
    4gig of RAM
    320 gig hard drive
    Graphics - ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics (256MB - 1471MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory)
    only 3 usb ports
    webcam
    sd slot
    2.72kg

The screen size is good for me and I don't plan on playing too many games on it, if anything the original Halo, audiosurf and a couple others. Mainly I'll be using it for storing music and fiddling around on Reason and Fruity Loops. Is this a good deal (I'm computer retarded ps)

16. ForsakenOne

It seems okay for your uses (Halo 1 lolwut) that graphics card is an integrated one so i wouldn't expect much from it.