1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Pokemon Fanfiction published within the last year?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by sonny_yalin, Sep 27, 2015.

1. sonny_yalin

sonny_yalin Third Year

Forgive me if this doesn't require a thread, but has there been any good, new-ish (published within the last year) Pokemon fanfiction?

I'm familiar with some of the best fanfiction in this genre, like The Game of Champions, but aside from that I haven't found much that excites me. It seems like the genre is plagued with SIs, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Plagued by self inserts and shitty everyone betrays ash fics

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Please tell me there's a story out there where all of his friends realise that Ash is an immortal twelve year old, and form a demon-hunting group to bring him down. ;)

But in all seriousness, I too would love to see more new good pokemon fics. The only recent one I can think of is CareOtters' rather fantastic Ozone.

4. Download

High Score:
    Dammit. I'm trying to find the Pokemon parody video where ash ends a region by absorbing someone's lifeforce and regressing in age. I think it was Brock and Misty and I think Misty was voice by Nowacking.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wine Red is going through a revival. The author is rewriting, and then updating, one chapter a week. They're currently on the fourth.

I don't want to read ahead, because I haven't ever re-read it, but I must have put it on alert for a reason. I don't have the best taste here, but it's not too bad.

Having said that, I had a quick look at the top of Chapter 18.

This is one that gets dark because edge, if I remember rightly. Torture, regional team UVUL!, and so on.

But it's better than a lot of the utter dreck that infests pokemon fanfiction.

6. fire

fire Order Member

I suggest the following process:

1) Bring Game of Champions up on your computer.
    2) Smash head on table.
    3) Do you still remember what happens in GoC? If yes, then go back to Step (2). If not, proceed to Step (4).
    4) Read Game of Champions.
    5) Go back to Step (1) whenever you feel the need to read a new pokemon story.

(Disclaimer: You may or may not suffer irreversible brain damage through the abovementioned process.)

7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

As a plus if you place your keyboard on the desk step 2 will result in better fanfiction then pretty much anything else pokemon has to offer. So feel free to read that to pass the time.

8. sonny_yalin

sonny_yalin Third Year

Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed this one. I'll definitely read it.

I'll give this one a go as well, thanks.

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A little outside of your due date but A Heart of Gold was fairly good. HG/SS setting, roughly a T on warning. Here are the the posts for relevant story segments: #18, #39, #41, #48. Currently incomplete.

Nihilstic Ideals devouring the Truth may or may not be up your alley. Takes place toward the end of B/W, definitive MA warning. One-shot.

10. Unresolved

Unresolved Squib

11. frantic

frantic Boosted

There was the one set post-canon B/W1 that I really enjoyed. It was about the MC and Cynthia just listlessly coasting around a town, and it had a pretty fantastic ending. Can't remember the name though; I know it was by an author on DLP.

12. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think that would be Zeitgeist's fic, Under the Same Sky.

13. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Might be more appropriate for the plotbunny thread, but what kinda fics would you guys like to see in this genre? Then maybe if we run across it, we can post it here. :)

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    ^ 1. Exploration of Alder's youth, building up a rapport with Cedric and his daughter during their backpacking days. As well the formation of Team Plasma, and Alder clashing with Ghetsis as the two grow up - but with a more vicious rivalry, leading to the death of Alder's fully evolved starter maybe a decade before the events of B/W.

2. Red ekking out life after becoming the Indigo League Champion. His reason for abandoning his post to dwell in Mount Silver for three years, his struggles.

3. Blue coping with his dethronement and Red's abdication, allowing Lance to eventually ascend to fill the empty position. Eventually Blue transitions to Viridian City and decides to vent his fury against the empty Gym, and by the end realizing that he can still make a name for himself revitalizing the domain. Conclude after the match against Ethan.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A novelization of the pokemon adventures manga.

16. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    So... Game of Champions? I mean it really is the closest thing to the adventures manga that I think I've ever read in terms of depth, realism, grit, while still having some lighthearted moments and compelling battling and plot that seems to loosely follow both games and manga.

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'd say GoC Red is more serious than Adventures Red. The manga is a bit more lighthearted.

I think that you can call them two sides of the same coin.

18. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Fair enough.

19. Download

High Score:
    I'd like more stories on Cynthia or Anabel.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think I would like a good OC story, with an interesting team (I admit, this part is heavily subjective), having their pokemon adventure without much Team Rocket/Magma/Whatever intrusion and no legendaries or world ending threats, with that character just having their journey. Having good worldbuilding, grounding Pokemon and its conventions in a "realistic" manner.

Oh yeah, have the character be older than fucking 12.

I love Game of Champions and I don't expect something in that scope, however, I would like the world be a bit more than just the anime world without rhyme or reason. Traveller was just bizarre in a way that GoC was not, what with no explanations that psychic people were just running around, that teleportation was not a big thing and similar things.