1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

News on Changes.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

This is about as true as it gets. We have seen nothing of what Uriel and his fellows can really do. Uriel said himself that during Small Favor Lucifer provided immediate aid and power to his underlings and that Uriel acted in a less obvious but equal and more longterm way. Uriel is like Heaven's verison of Nicodemus. Nicodemus and Uriel plan not for today, tomorrow, next week, next month, or even next year; but for what will happen in 10 years, 50 years, or even a century or 2.

I doubt we will see even a fraction of what Heaven can do until the shit really starts hitting the fan in the last 2 or 3 books; if then.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. Heaven either can't or won't direct;y intervene, a rule I think Butcher will keep to no matter how much shit hits the fan.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I thought I had already said this but I couldn't find it, so...

I didn't think that Lasciel, Harry's Alter Ego, or Divine Intervention was implied in the mysterious fixing of Little Chicago. If I recall correctly he got run off the road by someone driving an 'older' car (I therefore assumed a Wizard was driving it) in order for someone to have time to fix it before he got home.

I took this to be the Gatekeeper at first, though I have amended to that to any Wizard of respectable power who time travelled somehow to manage all of this. Barring that it could have been someone super powerful acting on orders from the Gatekeeper and who rushed to Harry's place after the 'meeting' to do it without Time Travel.

Now I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but I read it that way automatically without Divine Intervention or Lasciel even entering into my thoughts as a possibility, so I'm not really sure where those came from.

I think we'll find out eventually what was going on there though so I can wait.

4. Koalas

High Score:
    The only problem with the Time Travel Intervention theory is that for it to work, they'd have to know about the flaw in order to send the message back, but fixing it in the past means they couldn't have known about it resulting in paradox. Time Travel business has to be subtle, the important events still happening but a more favorable outcome.

Good point about the Hit-and-Run though, I completely forgot about that.

5. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

I was rather disappointed when I read the "teaser" for Changes. I've never liked Susan, and I dislike her even more now.

Looking forward to how being on the 'Grey Council' will change Dresden though. And hopefully seeing McCoy and possible Dresden employing more darker magics.

Gah, the more I think about it the more this 'Susan having Harry's Kid' thing pisses me off.

6. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I know right? He shouldn't have kids at all. Maybe in the last novel, with Karrin or Molly, or both, or something.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd hardly take what is said there at face value.

I'd probably put money on things not being as they seem.

8. uriel

Yah. I think one of three thing will happen.

1. The kid's not his, it was all some ploy

2. The kid is his, the kid dies, forever changing Dresden

3. The kid is his, goes vamp, Shezza plot to make the kid new ruler of Red Court

Personally I'm leaning towards 2.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've just read the teaser and haven't caught any of the rest of the rumors.

I would hope it's not 2. It's pretty cold and not great writing to introduce something like a child out of the blue, let Dresden get attached to it, and then kill the kid in the same book.

An alternative: 4. Kid is his. Dresden gets drawn into some kind of conflict, he screws up, and ultimately has to make a Sophie's Choice between Susan and his kid. He chooses the kid (as much as Dresden is old fashioned regarding women, his protective streak for kids is stronger--witness becoming a Denarian Host just to protect Michael's kid).

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You don't get my point. I don't think there is any point in speculating, because we only have one simple statement. It could mean ANYTHING.

Now, if we had more than one solid fact, we could go for some speculation, but at the moment, its pointless. Not to mention, your choices are inherently simplistic, im pretty sure there will be a lot more attached to one of the main plot devices of the story. Pers is getting there, I like his idea, while it remains that.

On that note however, when are the preview chapters of Changes coming out? Im so excited for this book.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Most likely early March. It's typically 1 chapter per week with 5 total preview chapters, which means 5 weeks before release.

12. uriel

Was that really your point? If it was, it was a bit hard to gather from:

And yeah. It was simplistic, I thought it'd be a bit hard to come up with complex theory on what could possibly happen, based on one statement from amazon. Hence why the three points covered the extremes.. you know.. for discussion.. in this discussion thread :rolleyes:

edit: Apparently the first draft was only completed today? Can they go from draft to release in 3 months?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  13. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

It says so on Jim Butcher's twitter and hopefuly they will (I don't want another Starcraft2 premiere).

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If you really want to read up on all the possible theorized meanings behind the teaser Persp, you can go check out the first few pages of the Spoilers Section on Jim Butcher's forums.

I couldn't find the exact thread I was looking for -- it's probably long been locked/moved and is on a later page -- but I glanced briefly through the first 3 pages and I see some more really long threads on the subject of what is going to happen with the kid.

I tend to agree that it's not going to be something simple/obvious, not if it's going to be part of the primary plot. I also tend to think that, yeah, speculating isn't going to do us that much good -- it would be pure luck to guess all the specifics surrounding this stuff. It is likely it will fit into one of the general categories people are talking about though, so that's fun.

Speaking of... am I missing any major "generalized" possibilities here?

(1) Kid isn't Harry's, Susan is lying.
    (2) Kid isn't Harry's, Susan thinks it is.
    (3) Kid is Harry's, Susan kept it quiet by choice.
    (4) Kid is Harry's, Susan was forced to keep it quiet (by the Brotherhood or someone else).
    (5) Kid is Harry's, Harry has had his memories altered and forgot (I.e. the headaches in a prior book could indicate this).

As for what happens with the kid... I know a lot of people don't want Dresden to have a kid. I get that, really I do. But at the same time Jim Butcher has yet to disappoint me with his writing in Dresden Files -- even when he writes things that I don't always think will be that awesome, they are. Now I don't really think Harry is going to end up raising a kid for the next ten books, but if Butcher does choose to do it that way I trust he'll do it well and it will end up being awesomer than people expect. Somehow. So I'm not gonna knock it til I try it -- not with this author.

But then... I was really disappointed with First Lord's Fury... so maybe I should play it safe and hope for non-permanent child rearing on Dresden's behalf.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  15. uriel

Yeah I recall that thread. I couldn't find it again today when I checked, but yeah in it it's mentioned thatJB stated while Dresden may think it's his child, it might not be. I can't remember how JB worded it but something like 'he certainly thinks it's his child', when someone asked him if the kid was Harry's. Which put's us back at square one, since he didn't deny it either.

Also one thing I read, but forgot to bring up previously, was the theory that it was the Order that she works for that took the kid for some .. purpose (I don't know about everyone else, but from the summary on his website but I assumed it was the vampires who took the kid). Interesting no?

16. Koalas

High Score:
    Makes a lot of sense when you think about it Dresden was the one who initially kick started the war. With the Council now suing for peace the Fellowship would want hostilities to continue at any cost. Steal the guy's kid and force him to do something drastic.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A thought hit me as I was reading this thread. We know that the last few books are going to be post-apocalyptic, and from what we've seen regarding the Fae/Denarians and other creatures, the only species likely to be able to to create that kind of world are humans, but that the vampires also have access to a strange form of magic that seems to be either related to death or (and this is my own pet theory) the Outside. If we assume that the child is indeed Harry's, it was conceived between a vampire and a wizard, thus as a half-breed it could have access to both the wizards' magic and the vampires'.

People of DLP, I give you the Antichrist.

18. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

While a very cool idea, I'm positive that it is stated that only human magic can affect/touch the Outside. Still the rest of that is pure win...

19. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

... except that, in White Night, Harry very clearly told Murph that magic passed down on the mother's side. If that holds true, the kid should have no (human) magic at all.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, crap. Completely forgot about that, so I guess that idea has gone out the window >_>.