1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The latest in a long line of "X that doesn't deserve its own thread" threads.

This thread is for news stories that catch your attention and you think are interesting enough to share, but aren't likely to generate a large amount of discussion.

With that in mind, best to avoid:

- Political content like elections
    - Controversial issues which DLP's membership is likely to disagree upon
    - Big stories that will generate a lot of continuing discussion (e.g. Syria, Ukraine)

I'll start us off:

Story. The big headline grabber here is that the police ignored what was happening so deliberately.

While reading the story I recalled the numerous times HP fans have talked about how unrealistic it is that the Dursley's negligence of Harry was ignored by authorities. There are so many fics where wizards (normally Dumbledore) were ultimately responsible for making this happen, and even more fics where Muggle social services "come to the rescue" and you have endless bashing of the wizarding world's child care.

Well, this news story really debunks all of that. It's completely realistic.

2. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's a bit understandable. being labeled a racist in the U.S. is...not a good thing. If you're unfortunate to get it slapped on you then you're never going to get rid of it. People will look down on you for the rest of your life, at least those who know anyway.

3. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Yeah, it's a good sign political correctness has gone too far when something disgusting like this is allowed to go on for years and years because men in authority are shit-scared to do their job. Some generalisations need to be made or shit will simply never get done.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This was a long time in coming. The U.S. public, as a whole, is stupid and have somehow got it into their head that if we be extra careful about everything then we won't offend anybody.

Naturally this has started to back fire horribly.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Cruentus, what the tit are you on?

On topic, I imagine this incident will stir up quite a bit of anti-immigrant sentiment nation wide; the English are passively racist enough as it is. In this situation though, I'm with them. Child abuse should get you a one way ticket out of the country.

6. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

It's not like they'll stop abusing children there. You're just shunting off the problem to someplace else... Probably a place less equiped to deal with it. Firing squad ftw.

7. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This. Pedophiles are human trash. Tolerating them in any fashion is unacceptable.

8. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Related to this is the fact that one of the very few Asian men who was found guilty of repeatedly drugging and raping an underage girl only got four years, and is already out. So even if they do catch them, there isn't a proper punishment.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Four years? That is low. You'd expect repeated drugging + rape would net you something in (or close to) the double digits, even before adding the underage part, or is that my lack of UK law knowledge or my opinion that any rape should net, at the very least, a few years (3-5) in prison shining through? I'm all for using prison as a primarily corrective (i.e. aimed towards avoiding repetition) as opposed to punitive (you did the crime, you do the time) thing, but there's a point where the corrective part probably isn't going to work any longer.

Not that I should be saying anything, since Dutch (statutory) rape laws are hilariously all over the place.

In the linked case, I'm a pretty big fan of locking them up and tossing the key. The sheer scale just boggles the mind, to be honest, and I don't think they'd stay away from abusing if they ever got out, so yeah.

10. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

UK sentencing is a joke when it comes to any crime.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't find any news articles relating to the specific sentencing Troy has mentioned. However, if he only got 4 years, then I'd doubt that he was found guilty of rape. More likely rape couldn't be proven, so he was found guilty of lesser charges, and thus only got 4 years.

12. Invictus

Invictus Heir

In Brazil is extremey common to let the pedophiles being beated and abused by other criminals. The guards will do it themselves sometimes too. There was famous case last month where a jiu jitsu fighter raped his 6 montfh old nephew, and tried to intimidate the otther 20 prisioners. All of them raped him repeatedly, he was sent to the hospita for surgery. Then sent to tthe same where he was raped again.

13. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

It's done in every country.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So for those of you who don't yet know.

The Fappening has occurred, 4chan strikes again.

BBC - 'Cloud' concerns after celebrity picture leaks

CNN - Jennifer Lawrence, other female celebs targeted in online nude photo scandal

Inquistr - The Fappening — Are Naked Jennifer Lawrence Photos Worse For Apple or Feminism?

Betanews - The Fappening is more than just nude celebrity pics

15. Luckylee

Luckylee Top 1 Percent Prestige

High Score:
    I think that probably deserves it's own thread, Xandrel.

16. A Lightning

A Lightning Slug Club Member

The Fappening sound like a name pun middle schoolers would giggle over.

Still, the only reason this should be serious news is if the leaks were caused by a security flaw in iCloud, as some people are claiming.

Is there any evidence actually supporting that claim? I haven't done really any research, so I have no idea, but I know of at least one tweet from someone that said her pics were only ever on an Android device. (No iCloud)

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Here's a Mashable article on the subject of the leak.

Considering this blog post by the HackApp people about iBrute, it sounds like there actually was a severe security flaw in iCloud's design.

18. A Lightning

A Lightning Slug Club Member

Yup, that's pretty damning. Thanks.

19. Invictus

Invictus Heir

I keep giggling everytime I see The Fappening. But wow, so many names and conspiracy theories. The best one is that it was caused by Joan Rivers as a last trolling.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    This is not really news (it's a few days old), but I think it fits the thread.

BBC article link.

Donald Tusk, Polish Prime Minister was appointed to become the president of the European Council on December 1st 2014.

A lot of people in Poland feel disappointed by his time in office. Personally, I think he did an okay job in a very antagonistic environment. Also, he helped keep the economy steady during the global crisis. His party's main opponent sees him leaving domestic politics for a while as an opportunity to get back in power.

On one hand, the 'Fuck yeah Poland' guy in me is proud. On the other, I'm worried what this will mean for Poland. With Tusk gone Law and Justice has a good chance at winning the elections next year, which doesn't really sit well with me. It seems like their boss has spent the last four years doing nothing but being a pain in the ass. Not to mention their stance on some major issues, like gay rights (they're against them).