1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Wait a second, sarcasm?! Obviously the coast is clear, you've joked about bringin about the ethnostate so therefore... Wait hold on, this is getting tough... I think that means you dont actually want an ethnostate?

Except wait a minute, what was it you said here:
    Oh my god my head hurts this is such a puzzle. Joking about wanting the ethnostate... But also sincerely endorsing the ethnostate with a dash of obfuscation and denial of personal racism. Not to mention defending and expressing solidarity with Tommy Robinson. Yall boys are just two peas in a non-islamophobic arent ya? Ahh, yall are so cute being not racists together.

Oh you're quite the tricky bitch aint ya Scott. I thought you and your boy Tommy were just two defenders of western values? Suddenly you're not on the same side anymore, and you know you've probably hurt Tommy something deep. For shame, throwing him to the wolves as soon as it was established that he was in fact quite the racist. But you know what man, right on, keep defending that free speech you don't or do agree with. Because that's what this is about.

2. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

It actually is, and you pretending (be glad I'm not assuming you're actually dense) it isn't doesn't make your argument valid.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cool it, or take it outside.

4. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

So grateful my man, you've really done me a solid. Unfortunately, I cant give you the same benefit of the doubt because it really isn't about free speech. Tommy Robinson got got because he violated the rules of the court after already doing it once. It's only noteworthy because he is far-right, and those boys have quite the persecution complex so obviously this is about that. And honestly, I'd be glad if it was him getting locked up for his bullshit views but this isn't that.

Anyway, I've been a massive troll and gotten on plenty of nerves but @ScottPress has conceded, and the point still stands that he is a snake, racist, and dipshit. Thank you for your time gents and God save the Queen

5. Sataniel

Sataniel Groundskeeper

High Score:
    You can't really blame PiS success on old people's votes. They wouldn't have got the supermajority they got if that was the case. They tapped into various kinds of disgruntlement with previous government and got a lot of votes all across the age spectrum.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Oh, I wasn't implying otherwise. I just meant that the senior citizens who largely vote PiS are the core of their base and it's a large part of what keeps PiS among the major parties. That would be true even without supermajority. But yeah, by 2015 I was tired of PO fucking up like so many others. I voted for Nowoczesna, but well, you see how that turned out.

7. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Regarding Tommy Robinson, the full details have now been released. He has been imprisoned not for breaching the peace, nor for breaking the terms of his suspended sentence, but rather for breaking the terms of a postponement order.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/25/what-has-happened-to-poor-tommy-robinson/

As usual when "has Britain gone mad?" legal stories circulate, we find that there's a reasonable, proportionate and sensible rule being exercised.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    I disagree that there has been a "reasonable, proportionate and sensible rule" in all of those recent cases I mentioned, but I concede the Robinson thing.

9. Imariel

My point still stands, though it is a question of necessity, validity and reasonableness of legislation rather than a question of it has been properly applied in this or in any recent case.

Swedish law tradition is inherently feverously accessible, the times courts may exclude the public to view its proceedings are rare and firmly stated - what I questioned was whether the publics view inherently disrupts or influences court proceedings. And if it is found to be so, does it in this case outweigh the public interest of having insight to the proceedings?

I do make the distinction between coverage and insight into a trial and prematurely judging them in "the court of public opinion". While a causal link may be postulated, it's both speculative and dismissive of the agency of the judiciary. Frankly, if one advocates the legitimacy of such a causal link between press coverage and verdict - I fail to see why this would not apply to all cases, be it in either direction.

Edit: Might also be relevant that these particular proceedings would've been held inside closed doors in Sweden, due to having to do with the sexual personal information of children - the reason thus would be to protect the privacy of these victims, not that the insight would influence the outcome. Thought I'd pre-emptively clarify that.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The systems aren't really directly comparable: so far as I'm aware, Sweden does not use juries.

11. Imariel

The lower courts in the court hierarchy uses what is internationally often misconstrued as political judges, "Nämndemän". They're essentially fulfilling the part of the jury insofar as they're laymen which serve the function of being the peers of the accused, giving expression to the legal consciousness of society, and pass judgement. Some differentiation of the typical jury is made however, they're partially portrayed as judges, except all they do is listen and vote on a verdict.

As laymen they're criticised from legal professionals of being, well, laymen. Our internal criticism is mostly based on them having the possibility to override the "legal judge", which almost always gets overturned in the Court of Appeals, thus we question whether they are at all necessary. Internationally they're sometimes vilified as political judges since they're picked from the political parties (the reasoning for that is that they're subsequently expected to be representative of society as a whole regarding their views and beliefs).

Directly comparable, perhaps not. But the comparison may be drawn. At least our lower courts would, if the logic of the assumption holds, frequently and systematically be subject to outside influence in a way that diminishes the validity of the judiciary. Either way, the point isn't predicated on the swedish example. It was merely an illustration of that it isn't inherently necessary to assume that public insight risks influencing the outcomes in any meaningful way.

As I understand your objection, it'd be that jurors as laymen would be less inclined to base the verdict on the merits of the case, and more likely to be influenced by a call of guilty/not guilty/drawing and quartering from the public. Last paragraph before the edit in the previous post stands remains my query.

The answer may well be that this is how you want it and you think it works, I merely believe it is an unnecessary infringement on the public interest of open trials.

12. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

An FBI agent in a nightclub did a backflip then shot a bystander.

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    Could the safety have flipped off when the gun fell to the ground? In any case, what a dumbass. Don't holsters have a strap over the grip specifically to keep the fun from falling out?

14. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

It's a Glock which doesn't have an active safety. Doesn't look like he's using a holster either. He put it back way too quickly.

15. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Aw, I liked his shows a lot. A shame.