1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Related to the above last post on the previous page: Two months ago, the internet tried to banish Nazis. No one knows if it worked.

An interesting read.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

Gender studies majors needs to find jobs somewhere, right?

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can completely see their point though. Whats illegal offline should, where possible, be treated the same online. You're welcome to express your disagreement with someone online or off, but why is it different to go on someone twitter feed and fill it up with racist/homophobic etc abuse than it is to get in their face on the street shouting the exact same material?

They're not trying to take on the internet, they'll be following on specific reports to try and identify individuals behind offending social media accounts. Only a small number of the accounts they'll be going after are run in an anonymous fashion, they should be able to put together actionable cases with a fair amount of ease if they get any level of assistance from the social media companies.

They're blatantly not going to be going after 4chan or any particularly hard target. As you point out 200k isn't a lot of money, so they must just be wanting to start to get their processes in place, build up an action plan and a skill base. But a few newspaper headlines about twitter trolls being sentenced for hate speech, and people will start to think twice about spewing their venom in public.

4. momo

momo Second Year

High Score:
  5. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

HMM
  6. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Ah but then the new polemic would end up with Actual Scouts being altered to include Glorified Cookie Sellers.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who cares? Girls like camping too, I hear.

8. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your reaction to this makes me want to say something super negative about your personal composure, your hair, and something about your mother.

It's bullshit like that which causes gender segregated classrooms in schools a thing. Why there is a pay gap based on gender, and why fucktard neck beards want to argue how a man can do something better than a woman. Tell that to the woman fucking you in the ass with a strap on.

If a girl wants to camp let them. They want to play sports? Inform them of the shit that could happen but let them. Get past that 1920s mentality of the woman's role in the home, Gomer.

@Seyllian maybe so, but at its core you can't help but think some stodgy old rich cunt man thought it alright to pay his male employees more and his female employees less. Whether it be based on bias of their role in the company or whatever. My point isn't to argue pay issues, it's to point out that fuccbois mentality above is one of the causes of some of that shit. Not the only reason.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  9. Seyllian

Seyllian High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a tad (well, actually a lot more than a tad) more complicated than that.

10. momo

momo Second Year

High Score:
    I definitely do not believe in sexism. The reason I am against this decision is because of the same gender comradeship that boy scouts provided. Especially for teens, boy scouts was a learning environment where they could be with friends, be themselves, and not have to worry about awkward interactions or the social drama that exists in their school. If girls want to camp, go ahead. Just petition Girl Scouts to allow it. Do not change what Boy Scouts at its core was meant to be.

Your reaction just makes me think that you are one of those people who takes a movement way too seriously. Gender inequality is a big problem but I believe that you are overreacting and being overly sensitive on a topic that is already over hyped. Please understand that in some situations, separation in between the genders is a good thing and does not imply that one is better than the other.

11. Zombie

High Score:
    I don't subscribe to any kind of movement. In particular I think of boy scouts in the same way I think of the catholic church. Fuck tradition. Telling your kids they only need to hang out and be themselves with people of the same gender is what creates social drama to begin with (among other things).

Should just be called Scouts and anyone can join. It's sad when Boy Scouts are known for camping, adventuring and other such fun shit and girl scouts is only good for stuffing your face with cookies and fundraising. Sure you could petition the girl scouts but as long as the boy scouts exist you're always going to get some one wanting to join.

I didn't think the subject over hyped. By the topic it deals with, the very nature of the subject is polarizing. So you're going to have people for, against, or neutral no matter where you go.

I think it's good to break tradition. You don't like something? Don't be a part of it. But don't sit here and say that the only reason I'm reacting to something is because it's over hyped and I'm sensetive. Gender inequality is a big problem and the first step to solving it among other things is breaking down walls in institutions that continue to support it.

Please understand, while separation of gender is good in some cases, when you can't see the benefits of integration and your only argument is that time you got to touch dicks with your buddy's in the Scouts and you bonded over it doesn't mean I'm being overly sensitive at all.

You have your stance I have mine. Done here.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Your stance is wrong.

There are benefits to integration, but also negatives. Cannot tell your gender since your profile doesn't share it, but men act differently around other men. Men act differently around women. Women act differently around men. Women act differently around women.

Why? It's not tradition. It's biology. It is ingrained into us as a species to seek a mate. You put a bunch of hormonal teenage guys around girls and they will compete against one another. It's alpha male/competition for the best mate.

Allowing young men to develop friendships and brotherhood with other men without the stress of having to look good to a potential girlfriend is vital in developing as a human being. It is vital to developing non-sexual friendships and learning who you are as a person apart from a potential mate.

Gender is intrinsically tied to who we are as human beings. I'm not referring to traditions and "Boys shouldn't play with barbies" type mentality. I'm referring to science and biology.

Men and women are fundamentally different due to the physiological make up of our bodies. The chemicals and hormones in a male are different than those in a woman.

This does not make any gender less than another. It does not make any individual of a gender less capable at certain tasks than another. But men and women are wired differently.

I'm not keen on the BOY scouts integrating when they are so many other Coed programs out there.

13. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Order Member DLP Supporter

Japanese people act differently in public than Turkish people. Surprise, shit like that is cultural. Nothing in biology says you can't make sex jokes in front of women, or talk about your period in front of a guy.

The concept of alpha males in wolves has been disproven, and there has never been any proof that such behavior is ingrained in people either. Competition is largely a, you guessed it, social thing. There are broader trends that hold in aggregate, but saying that every time a woman walks in front of a group of guys that it'll turn into a dick measuring contest is dumb.

You've been attributing social constructs to biology nonstop. There are biological differences, and yet you've failed to mention a single one somehow. Congrats.

What, scared that Jessica's dick is bigger than yours?

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God damn. Just let the kids go camping. Son of a bitch, it's not hard.

They're opening up the cub scouts for fucks sake. They're little kids. They aren't old enough to 'compete over mates.'

@Arthellion: And Zombie's a guy, by the way, because duh.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Firstly, social constructs such as gender roles only occur because of a difference in biology. Those constructs might be different from nation to nation, but, at the end of the day, they find their origin in the same place. One person has a different biology/nature environment than another. Just because the gender roles take a different style from one culture to another, the fact that every culture has such gender roles proves my point even if those roles are different. And I did share biological differences. Different estrogen/testosterone levels etc.

And you're making my argument all or nothing when obviously there are nuances. That said, guys feel pressure to act differently around girls than when they are just alone. While I'd argue that this has its origins in biology, it doesn't really matter. Guys should have the freedom to interact with other guys without girls being there. And vice versa.

Because, news flash, if a girl is uncomfortable about sharing she's on her period in front of dudes, she should be provided an environment where she has that freedom to talk about her issues without guys being there. If a guy feels uncomfortable sharing something to females, he should be able to be in a place where he can hang out with just guys.

And gotta love the verbal insult. Insults are a result of a person incapable of making a reasonable argument.

Gender matters. There are traits that are intrinsic to males. There are traits that are intrinsic to females.

In order to cultivate those traits and develop them, some separation is needed.

It's about relationships with members of your same gender. Those are vital to psychological development and being a healthy human being.

16. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But why does that separation have to be institutionalised? People have guy friends and girl friends. No need to enforce segregation. Plenty of other countries that don’t have the Boy Scouts do just fine.

17. Seyllian

Seyllian High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That analogy is a bit blown out of proportion, no?

I don't think in his argument @Arthellion stated anywhere that Boy Scouts are necessary for a country to do fine. In the grand schemes of things, they have a neigh negligible effect on society and everyone here is really taking it way too seriously.

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Order Member DLP Supporter

If those traits were truly so innate, we wouldn't have to cultivate them.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Mordecai

Re: the UK police thing, if you say the Internet shouldn't be considered separate somehow from the rest of the public sphere (which I agree with to an extent), then the same or similar rules must be applied. Of course, the reality of the situation is that it's much easier to insult someone online than it is to walk up to them irl and say what you posted on their Twitter feed. But if the Twitters and other Facebooks are public spaces, then you don't have the right to be sheltered from insults. It's incredibly rude to call someone a faggot/cunt/nigger/insert_insult, but it shouldn't be illegal. And for fuck sake, you can block those idiots. I am not responsible for another person's feelings. It sure makes me an asshole if I insult them, knowing that it'll hurt them, but the punishment for that, if any, should be at the discretion of the owners and staff of the social media platform, not law enforcement.

And if anyone honestly thinks this unit will actually accomplish something meaningful in the area of enforcing politeness on Twitter or wherever, I mean come on. This is £200k that could buy some spare lightbulbs for 10 Downing Street. Instead it's going to some Don Quixote initiative.

I just don't understand why some people want to change the Internet. People whose feelings are hurt by Twitter trolls are free to host and moderate their own social media platform where calling someone a cunt will be strictly forbidden.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  20. Zombie

High Score:
    How fucking dare you assume my gender. :3