1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. CleanRag

CleanRag Groundskeeper

I'm guessing that a lot of you who are triggered right now never really was a dedicated boy scout because @Arthellion has a very good point. 95% of activities wouldn't be affected by making them coed but the rest of them would be, and those ones also happen to be the fondest memories I made as a boy scout.

• The bog-jog where we duct taped our clothes and wade/swam through a swamp for an hour before comparing the leeches we got.
    • Full contact keep away, where everyone left bruised.
    • Sitting around a campfire talking about girls and sex.

The biggest problem here isn't even including girls, but all of the mothers that would show up with them. None of our mothers would have allowed any of that. The desire for a boys club doesn't imply sexism, just male bonding.

You also need to read the article before blowing up, because anyone who took the time to do so could have told him that his fear isn't well grounded:
    This just seems to be creating divisions/groups for girls, not actually making existing ones coed. I also doubt that this will change that as members get older, and I further doubt that the major camping trips would be coed. So, I don't see the harm here and support the change.

Again read the fucking article please:

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey man, I know that when I was 8 and 9 I was working on my young serial killer. I knew that inevitably I'd have to smash because I'd be around females all the time and my biology dictates that when I'm around a girl, I have to do crazy things like throw my dick around in a helicopter motion, random feats of strength, and trying to bench press their parents to prove I'm a worthy mate.

JFC. Rationalizing social engineering as biology is a very narrow scope. There is more than biology, and there is more than social engineering. I don't really agree, either way. There is too much media, imagery, and social expectation pressing down on both men and women to say the things we do is because of competition for a mate. Take a step back and take your Human Sexuality 101 course and keep that in your note book where it belongs.

Its weak to try and destabilize someone's argument because they understand human nature less than you do. Unless you got a Ph.D get the fuck out of here with that shit.

The only one that seems triggered here is you: Re:
    I read the article, I'm pretty sure Revan probably read the article. He could prove me wrong. The argument before is that because you have BOY and GIRL scouts, that just like a bathroom, you shouldn't allow another gender into them. Because Boys are special snowflakes that only segregated activities can allow them to flower. The counter argument was make everything all inclusive, that its about fucking time they started integrating, and even based on what I've seen since the article, they're going to have divisions that are still entirely female and male, they're not going to be co-ed. Its ignorant to try argue that its all biology, when you've yet to give a biological example other than children seeking mates.

I mean, with today's standards I guess if we didn't have 10 year olds out pussy slaying we wouldn't have shows like Teenage'd Pregnancy.

3. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Literally don't understand what the problem is. Scout organisations in other countries have been co-ed for years.

4. Zombie

High Score:
  5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This is the hack that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Anyway, speaking of money, there's an interesting location to find gold... In Swiss sewage.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @ScottPress

It might be a token gesture, but its a start. And whether you think hate speech should be legal or not, the reality is that it isn't and that should (where possible) be prosecuted online just as much as offline. You don't have the legal right to walk up and spew violent/abusive/threatening hatred in someone's face, whether in a public space or in your own home. At least, not in the UK. So yes, the police should be enforcing the law.

Obviously they can't do anything about an foreign trolls, but they can act where a UK citizen is acting in a threatening, abusive, inciting, alarming etc fashion online. If they can identify the individual, then that person should be charged.

Also, its worth noting that the 200k isn't the limit of the budget. Thats the initial budget for set up. And in the long run most of what they do will be strategy, investigation, working in the background, with a lot of interaction between them and local forces who'll be the ones devoting manpower resources for surveillance, searches, arrests etc.

7. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

As an Eagle Scout whose troop used to get whooped on a yearly basis at International Camporee by the girls in Mexico's troops, I for one, welcome the reinforcements.

A few points on the discussion:

First, all this does is lift the organizational ban. That means that individual packs will be able to decide if they want to open co-ed dens, all girl dens, or neither. It seems reasonable that this will be the case for troops with patrols as well. Therefore, packs/troops who don't want to open their ranks won't have to. I must admit though, the outrage that will soon follow from many communities is going to be quite enjoyable.

Second, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are completely different organizations. The key similarity is that they both aim to foster leadership, but they go about it in completely different ways. Changing Girl Scouts to have "more camping" as some of you suggested shows a complete lack of knowledge in how either organization works/is structured, and is really not gonna happen.

Personally, I see no reason why my little sister should be denied the opportunities I was presented with. Boy Scouts was a fantastic influence over me in my formative years, where I formed some of the most important friendships that helped shape me into a far better person than I would've been otherwise.

I'm just gonna straight up ignore all of the bull about biology vs social constructs, because let's be honest here, no one is going to change anyone's mind. I do feel the need to drop a link for the debunked 'alpha wolf' thing though.

8. Zombie

High Score:
    Mr Lahey dead (John Dunsworth). He's off to be one with the Liquor.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this is a thing here, an embarrassment we didn't need from the retard-Christian side of the house. (Yes, Scrubb will no doubt try to argue otherwise, but Christianity really does blunt the brain cells.) I didn't find out in time to participate, but I've a dozen friends who signed the petition to oppose this.

My son is being educated at one of the private schools in the area (Santa Fe Prep). For good reason.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
  12. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

I think the real shocking news there is that the robot is female.

This is Saudi Arabia we're talking about.

13. Seyllian

Seyllian High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When it's easier to become a citizen as a robot than a non-muslim.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    But why would you want to? It's Saudi Arabia.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

16. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

r/incel was banned a few days back.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    For people who care about this kind of thing, there is an absolute shitstorm going on over at r/StarWarsBattleFront after it came out that iconic heroes like Vader and Luke are locked and require either 40 hours of grind to unlock (per hero) or hundreds of dollars of lootbox purchases, because microtransactions don't even guarantee credits, they just give a chance at credits.

The official response to this bullshit by the EA community team is now the most downvoted comment in the history of reddit. 489k downvotes as of this post. Also gilded 45 times, for some reason (speculation is that it's to offset the negative karma, as with so many downvotes the account is effectively shadowbanned).

People involved with the game are claiming death threats in the thousands on Twitter, the subreddit is full of "fuck EA", someone even edited the Battlefront II wikipedia page to say "BF2 is an upcoming pay-to-win shooter" but it was edited again soon...

It's a total meltdown on all levels. If this doesn't grab the attention of EA's suits, then nothing will. Maybe Disney will freak out that EA is ruining the IP's image. I can only hope BF2 goes full Hindenburg. In any case, it's a wonderful spectacle.

Edit: Apparently the credit amount to unlock Vader was cut from 60k to 15k. I don't see that making much of a dent in how pissed people are.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  18. Seyllian

High Score:
    That's what I thought. I bet if you start tweeting this out to Disney and saying "I will never watch or buy anything Star Wars again," they might do something.

19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

At this point, people are probably botting to inflate the downvote number, but it is amusing nonetheless.

507k and 46 golds when I checked a few minutes back btw.

20. Seyllian

High Score:
    Their mods are said that it's been happening already. I mean, it's bad and all, but is this EA response really the worst thing in Reddit history? Absolutely not.