1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. 99redbloons

99redbloons Squib

High Score:
    The Culprit must remain unnamed...

But even though I have no idea who it is my ginger mate got a bit of stick as you'd expect in the days after.

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

The main library at my school is famous for having people hook up in it as finals approach. The only surprising thing about this is that the guy took and posted pictures.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All I know is that it happened to my grandmother. She was a dual US-UK national until World War II. She was living in London at the time and joined the Wrens. As part of that, she swore a loyalty oath, and after that, she was told by the US Government that her citizenship had been revoked because she'd sworn loyalty to a foreign power.

4. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

That would've been the case at the time. Afroyim v. Rusk (1967) struck down automatic loss of citizenship for voting in foreign elections, and Vance v. Terrazas (1980) struck down automatic loss of citizenship for most other actions relating to dual citizenship. There are some other court cases and policy changes in between those, and federal policy actually has softened a bit further since the 1980s even. Net result is that it's a lot harder to lose citizenship now than it was in the 40s.

5. deyas

deyas DA Member

Mass shooting at Aztec High School, Aztec, NM. 3 dead including shooter and 15 injured (edit: apparently no other students were injured). About 12 miles away from where I live. So far it looks like everyone I know there is fine. Not sure if this belongs in politics, sorry if it does. Following the Las Vegas tragedy, which is my hometown, these are starting to hit far too close to home.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

First things first. You are fine and that is the most important thing, same with your friends. That's the best one can hope for with this.

The second thing is the part I bolded. I am so disappointed that this is something you feel like you should say. That's what these shootings have been for a while now and I don't see it changing over time.