1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Sixth Year

High Score:
    IndyCar introduced a shield system recently, which they tested at the Phoenix oval a couple of weeks ago. It‘s not perfect yet, but it should be ready by the end of the year for road courses, street courses and ovals. Scott Dixon (the driver who tested it) was also very positive about the work and progress rate. Looks loads better than the Halo as well.

The problem with said Halo is that it‘s not something the drivers, teams or fans wanted. Jean Todt (FIA president and former Ferrari team principal from the Schumacher days) shoved it down everyone‘s throat, and the Aeroscreen was shelved after one lap (!) of on-track testing at Silverstone.

The reasons for why the Halo was introduced now are not entirely clear, but rumour has it that Todt is deathly afraid of possible insurance claims and lawsuits should a driver get seriously hurt without a Halo system, even though it would have been available for use. This was not helped by the fact that the Bianchi family is already wielding a lawsuit against the FIA and race director Charlie Whiting (I think) for their perceived roles in Jules’‘ ultimately deadly accident. (Even though, while tragic, it was his own darn fault for not slowing down sufficiently under double yellows in heavy rain. Additionally, the Halo would have done nothing against the crane Bianchi‘s head smashed against…) Around Bianchi’s death in 2015, the FIA jumped the gun when they announced they were working on a head protection device and almost immediately showed it to the public, rather than keeping the development quiet. So now that they have it, it needs to be on the car to stave off possible consequences.

The looks will probably get better when the rules around the cockpit area are amended and/or teams figure out a way to integrate it better as the Halo itself develops –maybe something sort-of similar to the new Formula E car – but I don‘t think we‘ll see anything else until the new rules package is introduced in 2021.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, the Halo apparently doesn‘t hinder vision when you look straight ahead. Sort of like holding a finger in fromnt of your face. If you hold it right, you won‘t see it. Valtteri Bottas said it didn‘t bother him during a race distance in the simulator, and Jack Aitken (F2 driver and, as of today, Renault‘s official reserve driver) said something to the same effect after the F2 test in Magny-Cours.

2. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

So, apparently, some Dutch school had someone with mental health issues wielding a knife come onto the grounds today.

Unfortunately, said man might not have taken into account that book bags are very throwable and that teenagers have this feeling of immortality anyway. It resulted in this.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

How this is not the result every time some dickhead goes on a tear with knives I don't understand.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Sixth Year

High Score:
    Henry Hope-Frost is dead, and I can’t quite believe it as I’m typing it. One of the best motorsports journalists (and journalists in general) that I ever had the pleasure of watching and listening to. Man, I’m sad. RIP, HHF.

5. momo

momo Third Year

High Score:
    Hey, the video has been taken down for harassment and bullying. Was it really that bad? Or was youtube just overreacting?

What actually happened in the video?

6. Oxy

Oxy Fifth Year

Here is a link that has not been taken down.

Apparently the man with the knives has some mental and drinking issues. Combined with the fact that apparently the students have a history of causing trouble with the neighbourhood (harassing, bullying, vandalizing etc) it caused this particular man to snap.

In other words your typical "What goes around comes around".

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  7. Sataniel

Sataniel Groundskeeper

High Score:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dutch+knife+school+video

8. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Stephen Hawking has passed away. RIP.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I consider the death of Stephen Hawking as worthy of having its own thread.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All I have left is Neal Degrassi Tyson.

I don't have anyone to put the universe in a nutshell for me anymore.

12. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This^, the world is bereft for his loss :(. Minds like his are a truly unique and valuable thing.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

Uber has gained the dubious distinction of being the first to kill someone with a self driving car. Obviously tragic for the woman and her family, but this is also likely to have a pretty big impact on how this technology moves forward.

14. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Groundskeeper

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

The car might not be at fault but there's still a ways to go until they can reach a level that equals humans.

They'll avoid the causes of accidents that are common with humans, but until they can intelligently get around the wanker failing to yield...

16. Zombie

High Score:
    Was the car memeing while driving? That's the number one cause of Human vehicle accidents.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    If anyone's been following this, Count Dankula has been found guilty of being grossly offensive under the Communications Act of 2003. It appears that UK considers 1984 to be a how-to guide. I'm grossly offended by this farce.

This is the best argument I've ever heard for becoming an actual alt-right Nazi. Brb, gotta drop my SS uniform at the cleaner's...

edit: Confirmation from Dankula's Twitter.

18. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Anything, anything but my right to only semi-jokingly say "gas the jews."

19. Zombie

High Score:
    So I don't have to google, what was the joke?

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    He made his dog do the Nazi salute to piss off his girlfriend.