1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Heleor, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The logical follow-up to the Wii U with a better name. Modular consoles ahoy!

[yt]f5uik5fgIaI[/yt]

Looks like a new Zelda, new Mario, Splatoon port (?), Mario Kart port(?), some sports games, and a Skyrim port.

No price point announced - slightly worrying.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's some 3rd party support lists floating around reddit. Looks like the consoles getting a lot of love.

3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Looks less like they've made the 3DS (nintendos successful system) a full console, and more like they made a Wii U (their failure) portable.

Its too big to be a good portable. I think this will bomb like the Wii U did.

4. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

It doesn't seem that big tbh. About the same size as the PSP Vita and it did fairly well. Part of the reason the Wii U bombed was lack of third party support. If they manage not to piss off third party developers and release some decent games, I can see this doing pretty well.

5. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

This looks like it might be cool. My one concern is that I don't see how a mobile system will be powerful.

That said, I'm excited about the new 3d mario game shown.

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    "the PS(p) Vita [...] did fairly well"

I have one and I love it, but no, no it didn't. It's pretty much a console purely for weebs, because God knows no other games are coming out for it anymore.

7. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I agree that it's pretty much a dead console, but it sold around 14 million total units which is better than the Wii U (though that isn't saying much). It's biggest problem was that it lacked a decent game library, but like I said, if Nintendo avoids making the same mistakes I think the Switch could become a success.

8. irrelevance

irrelevance First Year

Very excited for this. Everything I've seen so far is what I had hoped for (and thanks to Eurogamer/WSJ, expected). Don't care too much about power so it being primarily a handheld doesn't concern me at all. I prefer to play games with the console in my hands, but not necessarily outside of my home and this is by far the best implementation of this idea on the market. Additionally many Nintendo games (especially Pokemon) are among my favourites so I know I'll get enough games to play even if third parties drop it again, especially now that the whole of Nintendo is working on one system and there are rumblings about Nintendo trying to make development much more efficient. Given Eurogamer was right about basically everything, I'm expecting it to be region-free but I'm awaiting an official announcement. 3DS/Wii U being region locked was by far the worst thing about them for me.

Only real concern is the price, hope that gets announced soon. If I can find it for £250 I'll get it day one, otherwise I'll wait until I can. Oh, and I do hope Virtual console purchases will be fully transferable without paying an upgrade fee. If not, I simply won't be using the VC again.

I agree that it probably won't sell well though. Probably better than Wii U and worse than 3DS. Estimate 30m worldwide lifetime sales.

While the Vita was a Wii U level trainwreck, the PSP actually did very well (82m), it was only a failure in comparison to the DS (the second best selling console of all time). Obviously in today's smartphone dominated world that success can't be replicated though and that was proven by Vita.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fucking hate it when ppl talk shit about the Vita game library. That's not, nor has it ever been its problem.

It was the bullshit, overpriced proprietary memory cards that killed it.

And psp only sold what it did because ppl hacked it.

We've got two slightly misleading key facts for two consoles here.

The vita being a train wreck because it only sold 14m units. In reality, it was reported that it has over a 10 games per unit on average attach rate. Given majority of vita games are sold digitally, that's huge.

The other fact being they psp was hugely successful. Not completely true. Nobody bought games for it because they hacked the fuck out of it - ironically, most likely the reason for the bs proprietary memory cards that hurt the Vita.

As for the Switch? Whatever. Nintendo still aren't speaking to me as a gamer.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The ability to lie in bed or on a train, play Pokemon and on a whim switch to Skyrim?

I'm down. This is literally all I've ever wanted from a system. I've never been huge into MP or cared massively about graphics. If this has the game library then it's a console that seems like it's built completely for me.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow - this actually looks really cool. I completely agree with seratin on everything there: this is the sort of thing I've been wanting. Hopefully.

Calling it now: it's going to be stupidly expensive yet will do fairly well.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Skyrim.

Does Nintendo have plans to ever develop new IPs?

I was never into Nintendo, but I'll be interested in seeing how it impacts the industry. Battery power will be a major issue here.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I was considering getting a Wii U next year for the new Zelda because that game looks awesome, but I was dreading having to get a Wii U to play it because I doubt I would use it for anything else but Zelda.

Thankfully what looks like a great alternative has popped up that might potentially have other games in the future I'll enjoy. Good times.

Now to download BF1.

14. Demon4SL

Demon4SL First Year

Very happy to see that they've resumed branding under Nintendo instead of Wii. Huge part of Wii U failing was just bad marketing, with the casual non-gamer consumer taking one look and being confused on why they'd want to buy something that seems like a Wii add-on.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Splatoon is a new IP, tbf. You'd want to put it on the shiny new thing so ppl actually play it.

Also, regarding marketing: Nintendo SWiitch.

You can have that for free Nintendo.

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I haven't had a Nintendo since Super NES, but I will probably buy this. It looks simple enough but has a lot of versatility and I could see even, say, my girlfriend and her younger nieces, wanting to play -- something that the Playstation and Xbox can't pull off.

17. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

Hi,
    3 things about Switch, that I am not sure.

1. There seem to be a big drop in FPS in Zelda when going from home to mobile version. They need to fix this
    2. Will it allow to play Wii U (and older) games
    3. Build quality

At the moment I think this console can fight with new PS4 and Xbone but only if it get more titles from others devs then Nintendo.

18. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Rather than play Wii U games, I'd prefer to see it play 3DS and maybe even DS games. I mean it seemed to use cartridges instead of discs. They'd just have the screen split into two for the DS games on the tablet.

19. irrelevance

irrelevance First Year

Nintendo have confirmed that it will not be Backwards Comparabile with 3DS or Wii U. (Processor Architecture is too different.) It isn't powerful enough to emulate Wii U (hence all those ports) but it may be able to emulate 3DS in the future.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Read: wait for them to pop up on v shop.