1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Heleor, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they decide to make the entire Pokemon back catalogue available on the Switch V store then that's it. I'm a made man.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

3. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I thought this was a fairly nice mix and you people would find it entertaining.

Features several songs from various Nintendo games.

[yt]qDEgRn0JUxw[/yt]

5. Deiter

Deiter Squib

High Score:
    Pretty disappointed that it won't be backwards-compatible (especially with 3DS- I'd love to play some of my games on a bigger screen), but I'm still looking forward to this system. And the name is indeed much better than the Weeyou, so that's a plus. I always feel silly saying "wanna play wiiu?"

And oh my god the Splatoon previews in the trailer. So excited for Splat2.

6. MRouz

MRouz Squib

High Score:
    I'm not a big fan of the switch, then again I stopped being a fan of Nintendo since Mario party 6 (or was it 7, kind of lost track).

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

You willingly subjected yourself to Mario Party?

8. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've always loved Mario Party. The Wii ones were the worst in the series, but the N64 ones were quite good. Maybe I only liked them because I was good at all the mini-games, and they were more skill based but I've always had fun. Even losing wasn't so bad...

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You should go back and play them. If you still think they're fun, or if you actually still play them, I'm afraid we've already lost you.

Farewell, good gamer!

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

11. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Everything you need to know from the event:

$300 in NA
    Releases March 3
    2.5-6.5 hours of battery life, depending on game
    Zelda is a launch title
    Mario is not a launch title
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 announced, not a launch title

Kind of disappointed in the event, personally. Was hoping to hear at least a little on the hardware specs.

edit:

From the Switch features page:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

My opinion: Underwhelming.

The Zelda trailer looked amazing, as expected of 4 years of development, but I didn't anything else. Mario trailer looked really cool too but as a holiday game it makes me think - "You didn't have anything else to show? Really?"

That said, the casual games they showed off (1-2 Switch) means it might be pretty well positioned as an actual Wii successor that might pull the casual gamers back in.

13. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

While I agree, I'm wondering if that market was forever lost to the phone/tablet gaming explosion. The Switch would certainly be the casual gamer go to, but I wonder if that's enough to entice freemium players to buy a $300 piece of tech to play 20-$70 games.

What's going to be a bigger deal to me is the likely absolute domination of the 3DS/Vita player base. I know plenty of people who own a 3DS, PC and no console to speak of. All Nintendo has to do is release the rumored Pokemon Stars, Smash Bros 4 port, Monster Hunter XX HD and then they'll vacuum money out of this console (as if Breath of the Wild wasn't enough.)

I was actually pretty impressed by ARMS. Assuming it's not a full $70 price tag, it seemed like a fun bridge between core gamers and casuals. The stretch arm mechanic makes it very clear that this is a game, not a simulation. I remember playing Wii Boxing with my Dad, who is actually very technologically literate, and having him complain that it was nothing like real boxing. I can see games like this doing very well and hope to see more.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This is how I feel about it. Porting Skyrim might be a good step (if they do a good job) but Nintendo seems like they're locked into a corner. PC gaming revenues are increasing, consoles are doing worse, and their market is very niche and it's hard to port their IP in a good way considering controller & local multiplayer dependence.

15. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I'm surprised that some people were underwhelmed. Were we watching the same event?

You can simulate ice cubes in a glass now! It's absolutely amazing! What will they think of next?

16. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Not just that. The new SMT, which if it is an Nintendo exclusive, will be just as popular. Fire Emblem Warriors is on my wishlist as well and Project Octopath Traveler from the Bravely Default devs looks amazing.

I do think the $300 price tag is a mistake though, I'd have leaned more towards $250.

You missed that Nintendo is also doing paid online as well as being region free. Online play will be free as a trial until fall, which you'll need a sub for, just like PS+ and XBL Gold.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't watch the event, but those are the bits I got, I think it comprises the gist of the show: the new Mario isn't a launch title, they didn't give a hard launch line-up and no specs. Nintendo seems intent on staying twelve steps behind the industry and the gamers.

18. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

As someone who was on the fence between getting a 3DS or the Switch, this might have convinced me just to get the 3DS. Was really hoping for Pokemon and Monster Hunter announcements.

19. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Big Nintendo fan here.

What a letdown.

To resume:

-No information on the characteristics of the console but the battery life is worrying

-paid online : as a bonus you'll get NES ans SNES games ? Any casual gamer can play an emulation on his pc. Vocal chat only available through a mobile app. Online services at Nintendo have always been terrible but at least it was free.

-The empty line-up at launch. Once you're done with Zelda there is practicly nothing intresting until th arrival of Splatoon (summer) and Mario (end of the year). Games like 1/2 Switch or Arms should also have been offered with the console like Wiisport was for the Wii.

-The price. The Switch will cost 330 € here in France. Gosh. And even the accessories are ridiculously overpriced (one Joycon at 50 €, both 80 € and the pro controller will cost 70 € ?!).

Yeah, I'll be playing Zelda on the WiiU that's for sure.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I'll be getting it regardless because it's looking like the future of Nintendo's handheld systems. For me, this means Pokemon. If I had to spend a similar amount of money a new DS in a year or two anyway, I may as well get the console with it.