1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Heleor, Oct 20, 2016.

1. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Wait wait wait... The joycon are not included in the package with the NSwitch? I thought you already get 2 of them for $299.99?

That being said, I am severely underwhelmed by the games available. Zelda is the only real game they have and Mario, well it's been a while since I've had to play Mario.

I am excited about the motion sensor on how well it works and its compatibility with VR tech. I'd be interested to play VR ARMS.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

They are. The Pro controller is not included.

3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Looks DOA.

A real shame they are killing their successful *DS line for this garbage. After this there will be nothing in portable gaming but mobile shit.

4. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I doubt it'll be Wii like success but it'll be pretty good compared to the U. I'm getting it for Zelda alone, and Mario, and Xenoblades...

The game list at launch obviously can't compare to what the PS and Xbox have now, but comparing the three at the same stage at launch there's nothing wrong with what Switch has got lined up, the PS4 and Xbox were both lackluster at launch as well.

At least the Switch gets Zelda which will sell many a console by itself for people who don't have the Wii U. So yeah as far as the game line up for the Switch is concerned I'm not bothered, it's a on par start. Tbh I can't remember any console that had a great launch line up beyond one or two blockbuster games.

For me the question is what sort of IPs will the Switch get in the future. The Wii was a successful gimmick that grew old, the 3DS was awesome that drew in the casuals and people on the go, the Switch is trying to be a bridge between portable and console. They might draw across some of the 3DS people who want a more powerful portable, but if the Switch wants to be a success they really need to start getting some new IPs to try and draw in the PS/Xbox customers. Unless they get some really good IPs they're only going to get fanboys and people brought in by the portable gimmick.

So yeah, nothing spectacular with the Switch at launch but honestly it's better then I was expecting, wasn't even expecting Zelda for a few months after. The only real let down is it's lack of battery life, which can be countered by powerpacks etc. You know, make your portable less portable and carry more shit around.

Will it be a success? I don't think it'll break any sales records but I can definitely see it becoming increasingly popular as the years go on and it gets a decent library. I don't think it'll compete with the two bigger consoles in the long run but it'll salvage some pride after the Wii U.

P.S. No region lock?

Hell, it's about time.

5. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

So the new Zelda and the new Pokemon won't be on 3DS anymore? Just on Switch and WiiU?
    That sucks... will probably have to buy this just for those games.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As I said above, it'd be much the same deal with buying the next gen DS. At least this way you get the console.

7. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I doubt they will release a Pokemon game for the Switch in the first year. They haven't announced anything about Pokemon on the switch yet so tbh I can wait and see about buying one until then.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Those and very likely the new Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem main game, and potentially Monster Hunter as well, if they decide to make that exclusive. Kirby and Metroid are always ignored as well but I love both of the franchises.

It was always a given that Nintendo's 1st party and Japanese dev games would be great. The question is if they can draw in Western devs to make games for the Switch and attract more than the Nintendo fans.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'll probably get this thing, so I really hope they don't release a better version just as soon as I buy mine... Fucking 3DSXL.

10. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Best Buy currently has a deal where you'll get $25 off $100 if you use Visa Checkout, which stacks with GCU.

Preorders are included in what the promo applies to. Grabbed Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for ~$38 each including tax.

11. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I was going to buy it, but then I learned that I'm expected to pay for being able to play online. Now, I'm on the fence...

12. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

$5's a month... Have you ever played the Wii online before instead of LAN?

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

After thinking about it, I preordered mine fully expecting it to be a Zelda box for the first 6 months.

14. KrzaQ

As a very much casual gamer, I refuse to pay for something I may not touch for months on end. And I don't see the appeal of splatoon without online gameplay.

15. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Well, the first few months of online are free, so if you're picking up a Switch, you can try it out and see how much you use the online and whether or not you like it.

Unfortunately, ever since Microsoft and Sony made online subscriptions a thing, it's not going to go away. Nintendo is just following the trend. The better question will be how much they charge as well as how good it is.

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the next core pokemon games are announced for this thing, then yeah, I'll probably sink my cash into it at that point. As it stands I'd just be purchasing it for Zelda and the price point is a bit much to swallow for that alone.

17. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Well, skipped the Wii U generation so this will be a good thing. From Wii to Switch!

18. KrzaQ

I don't see Steam following this trend, so I might as well stay with them.

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll probably get this regardless, simply for portable Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey. Mario in particular looks amazing.

20. TheKidd

TheKidd Squib

Payed online might be the only thing keeping me from buying this, considering previous online installments.