1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Noblesse (Webtoon/Manwha)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by thyrfa, Mar 8, 2016.

1. thyrfa

thyrfa Squib

High Score:
    Just got into/read through this story in the last week and damn it's good. Feels sort of similar to Tower of God in that the main character is a completely overpowered badass, but it makes itself unique by constantly interjecting humor into otherwise serious situations. The author is absurdly skilled at that and it just gives it a flair no other manwha or manga I've read has had.

On top of that, Frankenstein is one of my all time favorite characters, the perfect mix of powerful, insane, loyal, reasonable, and responsible. Even though his character is all over the place, the writer manages to make sure that he's consistent. When given a certain stimuli, he will respond a certain way, not just randomly.

Check it out if you haven't, worth a read especially if you are a fan of Tower of God or similar stories.

2. Armani

Armani Second Year

You are right, Noblesse is a good manga. I got addicted to it, and read it all in like a week. But, there are so much manga out there. I would say that it is good. But Naruto, have you ever read it? It's insanely good. Or Fairytail, a good way to fill up your time. Though the only thing about Noblesse that I don't like is that it begins with just pictures, and it sort of confused me to a bit. Though yes, it is good.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There are many things wrong with Noblesse. But there are also many things that are impressive.

Noblesse is a textbook example of a hit-or-miss. It uses characters and tropes that can very easily fall into 'pet peeve' category or 'preference' category. For me personally, most of the things Noblesse does hit the right spots. I've enjoyed it immensely, mostly because the two main characters (Rai and Frankenstein) are strong, but exactly because they are strong they are kept from constant center stage. The supporting cast is really well developed too.

Some of my few issues with Noblesse are power creep, surviving of some villains where they really, really shouldn't, as well as the fact that many (if not most) of the villains are cookie-cutter.

I can't stress enough how much I like the development of the side characters. Noblesse has the achievement of introducing many characters and keeping them relevant throughout the series rather than casting them away after their one chapter/arc in the limelight (human kids excluded). Character development is very strong in this.

I fucking cried at Lazark's death, which approached Whitebeard levels of epicness. T_T

I have more thoughts on Noblesse posted on the manga rec thread. I am currently up to date on the manga and I have to say:
    I don't particularly like the idea that Raizel had a brother who he had to kill (and apparently looked exactly like him)
    though I do hope that we see him get serious (as the last panel implied) and beat the old noble into the ground.

The thing I mentioned earlier about villains surviving is present here. All the werewolves and the attacking nobles have lost their fights, but none have died, because they obviously will be needed further down the plot, as opposed to the clan leaders Raizel killed some time ago.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So Noblesse wrapped up. Though I had gotten used to disappointment by Noblesse, the ending did manage to disappoint me, which I suppose kept it true to form.

My previous review is an interesting contrast, because since then I've changed my mind on pretty everything (aside from Lazark's death, that still gets me).

Noblesse way overdid it, didn't even try create details or coherence so left everything blank, and generally failed in pretty much every conceivable way aside from, maybe, the art style. At least it's over now.