1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Not Slytherin Enough by fruit17 - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by carvell, Jun 10, 2007.

1. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Title: Not Slytherin Enough
    Author: fruit17
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/Drama
    DLP cat: General
    Pairing: Harry/Blaze (hint's of h/g at the end)
    Words: 6,918
    Published: June 3, 2007

Summary: Harry was sorted into Slytherin. Five years later, members of the Order of the Phoenix come to collect him from Privet Drive. The Boy Who Lived isn't quite who they expected. Warning: female Blaise.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3573787/1/

Found this nice one-shot a few day's ago it has a bit of Ron bashing and towards the end a bit of flirting with Ginny

This get's a rating of 4/5 from me

Checked by Minion, February 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

HAhahahaha, very very funny, that is. I couldn't stop laughing. 5/5 for me...I would'a made it 4/5, but wanting to use Ginny for only sex gave it an extra point.

Richard.

3. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Hm. It was amusing, yet it lacked the "oomph" that I wanted it to have. It felt as if it was leading up to something in the end, and nothing. All the same, it was a good read. I'll go ahead with a 4/5.

Edit: Have you happened to look at the author's profile? Specifically the other stories written?

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Would have been better as a start to an AU story instead of just an AU One Shot. 4/5 as a one shot 5/5 as a start to a longer work.

5. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree, this was a good read. It would make a much better novel length fic however.

5/5

6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I second Giovanni.

7. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Only a couple of typos, nothing serious. And a refreshing take on the Slytherin!Harry perspective.

8. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

It was an amusing read, and managed to kill some time. I agree with Mindless about needing that extra "oomph".

I'll go ahead and give it a 4/5.

9. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

Quite possibly one of the best Harry characterizations I have read in a long while. Damn this was good.

Still I was rather annoyed by the silence of the adults. Whether impressed by Harry or not, I doubt Lupin and Sirius (certainly not Mrs. Weasley) would allow Harry to get away with saying half that stuff to Ginny.

I also doubt that Fred and George (who, in my humble opinion, are a great deal more clever than Ron has ever been or ever will be) would have stood there silent as Harry demeaned their little sister.

However, those small annoyances aside, this thing was brilliant. I REALLY, REALLY wish that the writer would continue it. I haven't found a fic like this that I was actually whole-heartedly enthused about in a hot minute, let me tell you.
    A one-shot simply isn't enough! More! More I say! Excellent! 4.5/5

On a side note: I looke in the writer's profile and found...Harry/Draco fics...but they may be very well-written so I won't make too big a deal about them.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, this is a solid one-shot, but I really don't see what's so special about it. Pretty standard Slytherin!Harry going on a rant about poor mistreated Slytherins. Nothing we haven't seen before.
    3.8/5

11. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

It's nothing I've seen before, though. So I loved it. If I read more HP fanfiction, mayhaps my reaction would be similar to yours...

12. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I looked in the writer's profile and read the Harry/Draco fics. One of them is, despite it's horrible pairing and disgusting disreguard for cannon, not terribly written.

The other is written well enough I suppose, but the auther must have been smoking crack to come up with the plot.

13. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

...yeah....glanced at one of the other fics and couldn't stomach Draco crooning lovingly to Harry in baby talk (I shit you not), so...no. But still, this was a good read at any rate. = /

14. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I liked this one. It's somewhat standard fare for Slytherin!Harry stories, but it is extremely well-written, and one of my new bookmarked one-shots. Coming from an H/D slash author, it's even more impressive.

4/5

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Damned shame it's a one-shot.

5/5

16. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

A very good read, and like everyone else, I wish it were more than just a one-shot

4/5

17. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

I didn't really see the appeal myself. Some of the dialogue was funny, but that's about it. Like k writer said, I can't see everyone just standing around as an audience to Harry's little diatribe. It has the potential to be good if it was continued into something more, but at the moment most of it just seemed to be about turning Harry into a sarcastic 'witty' but-still-so-moral Slytherin. This line was pretty much the nail in the coffin of a potentially decent characterisation:

If s/he were going to carry on with it then it might make sense as a basis for character development, but as a one-shot it seems like it's buying into the Slytherin!Harry everyone and their dog uses rather than working to do an original take on him.

So, 3/5 for me.

18. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm gonna rant for just a second, so you can all feel free to ignore me.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing horrible about this. It's solid enough. A little rough around the edges, but not bad, and Harry did pull off a few nice one-liners, which I always enjoy. But I can tell you this... my Slytherin Harry would kick this Slytherin Harry's ass. And he'd never see it coming.

For example:

Why would a Slytherin Harry admit to being able to disillusion himself?

Why would he show the Order that he knew how to get around the restrictions on underaged magic?

Why wouldn’t he just duck out the window and fly somewhere safe when he heard people breaking into the house, rather than going out into the hall like a Gryffindor, thinking about how he has “home field advantage” against multiple opponents?

Why would he hate the Weasleys? Just because he’s in Slytherin?

Why would he like Malfoy? Same reason?

Why are Moony and Padfoot gay for each other? Nothing wrong with it, it just seemed like it was thrown in there for no reason.

Why would he tell the Order that his earring is charmed? Wouldn’t that be the kind of ace-in-the-hole that you’d want to keep to yourself?

Why would he tell them that he doesn’t trust anyone? That’s not something you go around bragging about if you’re trying to be subtle.

Why would he resent people seeing him as a hero? That’s a dammed useful reputation to have for getting what you want.

Why would he resent being labeled as a Slytherin, then refer to himself as one on multiple occasions?

(end rant)

Where's the subtlety? Where's the sneakiness? Where's the charm? Nowhere in sight. Just a bunch of cliches done for the hundredth time, plus a bunch of whining at the end. This one gets a 3/5 from me, only because it's readable.

Big D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  19. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

lThat's quite a rant there champ...feel better now?
    :p

Well I liked this story, cliche filled and everything.
    (That is the reason a cliche is a cliche right?)
    Because they are well liked and eventually get over-used?

Since I have not read much Slytherin!Harry I found this one likeable.

3/5 I was expecting something resembling a plot, rants are always fun yet I saw nothing, still liked it though. Maybe something other than getting to The Black House.

Oh and his review count might have something to do with people liking some of his stories and just following what he writes, we all know how much the FFN crowd loves those Harry/Draco stories...wait saw the profile...his H/D only has 13 reviews, I am sure that for what it is, that spells out complete fail.
    Maybe that is why he changed to Hetero!Harry?

Bah, I am looking into this too much

20. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

Lol....Big D...do you have a thread in this library for your fic? If not, post one, and do your complaining about not getting enough reviews there. As for your points on this writer's Slytherin!Harry...noted.