1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Not Slytherin Enough by fruit17 - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by carvell, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

(Sigh) See, I knew someone would think that I was review-whoring. Not the point I was trying to make at all. I should have left off the part about the reviews entirely, but my dander was up.

Fact is, I've gotten great feedback for my story, and some of the best of it was here. The fact that I've hardly gotten a nibble at FFN is annoying, but beside the point. What I was ranting about was the fact that the Harry in this story isn't much of a Slytherin at all... he's some kind of romanticized Draco-with-black-hair that wouldn't know clever or cunning if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=5954

There's mine. Just give it a shot and tell me who the real Slytherin is.

Big D

2. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I agree with Big D - this Harry is not a true Slytherin - he lacks cunning, he reveals his skills, etcetera, etcetera..

In other words a difference between Big D' Slytherin!Harry and fruit17 "Slytherin"!Harry is like a difference between Tom Riddle and Draco Malfoy - they are in totally different leagues.

3. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

On that argument, the whole idea of Slytherin is sort of self-refuting... you can't just label yourself as sneaky and ambitious. Surely a truly Slytherin Harry would be in Hufflepuff...

I thought this story was all right and that it showed, not a super sneaky Harry, but what canon Harry might have turned out like if he were in Slytherin. The idea of out-pureblooding the purebloods in order to prevent them from developing a prejudiced mindset was clever, and I haven't seen it done before. Solid 4/5 for me.

4. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I admit to having had doubts, but the ability to humanize the slytherins and mock everyone else in the same breath is a rare tallent indeed.
    4.5/5

5. BartucTheBloody

BartucTheBloody Third Year

There were parts of this that I liked and others that I didn't. I guess I agree, for the most part, with what Big D said. This Harry is "Not Slytherin Enough," if you will:) It was fairly enjoyable so I guess I'll give it a 3.7/5.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  6. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I thought the first half was sort of lame. The SB/RL slash BS was unneeded and there wasn't much to it at all but filler until they got to Grimmauld Place. Second half was pretty good as a few parts made me laugh and the emoness actually kept my attention. If you exclude the first half 4/5. If you don't then a 3/5.

7. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

I love it.

The writing itself is excellent, but it's the characterization itself that stands out. The author had a very good reason as to why a Slytherin!Harry would be kind to Gryffindors and it makes perfect sense. 5/5 for me

8. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I liked the rant at the end. And it IS rather amusing. 5/5

9. Amon Amarth

Amon Amarth Squib

This was a very good fic, but I agree when you say that the characterization needs more of a Slytherin tune up. I was put off a little about the R/S slash and more over when Harry said:

Besides those details, this fic was really funny and I liked the rant, but I have seen ones similar to it. I give this fic a 4/5 since it is supposed to be a Humor/Parody.

10. Bug-Eyed Earl

Bug-Eyed Earl First Year

Two years after we found out Blaise Zabini is a boy(and it shouldn't have even been two years, it's not that fucking hard to Google the name and come up with nothing but male results) we still have femBlaise fics. For fuck's sake, you have Daphne Greengrass, Sally-Anne Perks, adn Tracey Davis to fill the female Slytherin role if you need it.

11. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think it is so much the fact that there are more Slytherin females, but the idea the Blaise was once female in the minds of others before JKR let it blow with Blaise being male.

Plus the name has always had some form of sensuality in my mind, it rolls off the lips and sounds like some deliciously attractive woman.

Blaise Zabini

IDK just blurting out shit here, but I'm guessing people still write fem!Blaise since they like her more than the other Slytherin chicks.

After all the author writes what they prefer, not what you tell them.

12. Bug-Eyed Earl

Bug-Eyed Earl First Year

I'd met one or two guys named Blaise before reading the books, so there's that as well.

13. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Gave this one a try. And I gotta say... meh. Just read like mini-rant overly emotional typical Draco-loving stuff to me. And there's no comparison to Big D's Slytherin ficlets. Big D's is about a far more Slytherin sort of interpretation of Harry. This one-shot is more about a Harry who's best bud chums with the Death Eater juniors. He doesn't have very many more "Slytherin" like characteristics, he's just more of a smarmy asshole. Two very different purposes to the fics and while I'd say Big D's succeeds at its goal far better (writing Harry as a Slytherin), this one's built to appeal to the Draco-loving masses (writing Harry as a character who was *sorted* into Slytherin and turned into essentially a black-haired Malfoy).

Maybe it was from reading all the comments and praise others heaped onto this one-shot, but it didn't do anything for me. I liked the hints towards a larger story (the Gryffindor-ish things he did to help Neville, Herman, etc...) but I've not much interest in reading more so I don't see it as a start to something more. 3/5 primarily for some of the interesting ideas at the end. The Weasley-bashing was boring, the paragraphs the author wasted justifying why his little Slytherin whores weren't really whores I had to skim, and when Harry doesn't like any of the other people, it's hard for me to like them either. So when I don't like this Harry half the time, it just fails to be a fun read for me. Yeah, 3/5 is about right.

14. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

It's still not what I would refer to as BAD... per se. The author has a nice style, and the repartee between the Weasleys and Harry was definitely amusing. It got a bit sappy toward the end... but it was still readible, and it gave the story a bit more purpose than just to show off how badass Slytherin!Harry is. I liked a few of the concepts, such as Harry still harboring empathetic ideals while in Slytherin, and it made for an interesting read when Harry when off on his tangent about creating paths and paving your own way, and not stereotyping people and condemning them to a single route. I like how the author mixes badass with human in this fic, and it sticks to canon in the sense that Harry is NOT a merciless bastard, as far a J.K. is concerned. This seems like the most realistic representation, because, as you know, canon Harry was slanted toward Griffindor anyways, so some traits should still show through. It's just how he would be under a different upbringing. Though I agree that the author did go a bit over the top with revelations... I'm sure that anyone worthy of Slytherin would have the tact not to mention they have a secret defense measure. Either way, it was a good read, and definitely worth the few minutes it took to finish. Gets a 4/5 from me. It's library material, but kind of borderline. Truthfully, I think a little lower than Ip's rating is what this deserves, and I would round it off. Thus...

4/5

As for your fic, BigD... It's probably the best Slytherin!Harry fic in existence. Your Harry shows a level of depth and planning that not exactly regular, and you've definitely capitalized on Harry's regularly underutilized intelligence with his current contemplative confidence. You can't really compare to fic, period. I doubt there's a way to imitate or best your Harry- I'm easily willing to say he's one of a kind, and the best of his breed. So chill. Moths may flit around the fire, but never touch it- I think you need a better measuring stick than your fic.

15. Eristaz

Eristaz Squib

Amazing potential to go further.

5/5

16. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I liked it. Not overly so, but I think that it has potential. We can't judge it having only one chapter anyway. Interesting, amusing and witty, although a bit EMO at the end. At least the writing is good.

4 out of 5 im my humble opinion

17. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

It has good potential as an opening to a longer fic, but standing alone it just doesn't bring that good one-shot closure.

4 out of 5 for a story opening
    3.5 out of 5 as a one-shot

18. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Fucking hilarious! I loved it. Harry's reasoning, his analysis, his underhanded nature, all perfect. I don't know why this appealed to me so much, but this fic really hit the spot. Cleared up all the crappy Slytherin!Harry fics I've read out of my system.

4.9/5 because I don't give 5's to one-shots on principal.

19. [KS18]Raziel44

[KS18]Raziel44 Card Captored and buttsecksed

i agree with Richardc269 5/5 vbmenu_register("postmenu_120910", true);

20. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

It does what it's supposed to do, portray a solid Slytherin!Harry while making the readers laugh. I liked this rendition of the opening of OoTP, but the flaws pointed out by Big D and others are still valid. This gets 5/5 from me as just a humour fic.