1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Notebooks and Letters by chem prof - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by darklordmike, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

A story is precluded from being among the Best of Fanfiction by virtue of featuring slash or Harry/Hermione romance. Simple as that.

Anyway, I dislike the story for the aggressiveness of the pairing and I despise this sort of revisionism. 2/5

2. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

I think this was one of the first stories in that whole 'fix canon' crew of stories that suddenly cropped up on FF.net. Almost all of them written by Herman fans in denial. As stated by many of the people above, I too dislike the 'fixing' part of it.

That being said, the story actually started out very well. Well written with few, if any spelling/Grammar mistakes. Even though it was a, I suppose I could say partially Harry-centric story, it didn't just rehash canon with minor changes. It had considerable deviations and 'logical' changes that kept me hooked. But as soon as it got near the middle of sixth year, it started to crash and crash badly.

I'll just point out a few things in that direction :

“Harry! Oh Harry, you’re back!” she nearly squealed. Harry’s eyes fluttered open and as soon as he’d managed to focus on her face, he smiled as her heart practically tore itself out of her ribcage. Then he remembered what he had to do and quickly glanced around. There, lying on the ground ten feet away, was the person he had to kill.

Harry sat up and Hermione jumped to her feet to help him stand, as he was rather woozy. Seeing the questioning look in his eyes, she quickly reversed the memory charm so he’d remember why she was there beside him. He blinked once and nodded to her and then turned his gaze back to Voldemort.Taking in the dark lord’s appearance more fully, he noticed the thoroughness with which his wife (wife!) had incapacitated their enemy. Next, looking into those glowing red eyes he saw nothing but hatred – no doubt, no second thoughts, no remorse. Turning back to Hermione, they shared a look and both knew what must be done.
    Hermione kept her wand trained on their fallen foe while Harry summoned the Sword of Gryffindor from his rucksack. Deciding that she really didn’t want to have to look into those hate-filled eyes any longer, she silently shot a stunning spell at Voldemort, and his body went limp. Harry walked up and paused, his mind filling with thoughts of all the pain that this detestable being had caused him during his life, but was now about to be avenged once and for all.

Hermione moved up beside him and took his hand in hers, sharing with him her strength for the deed he was about to perform. He glanced over at her and then shifted so that her right hand joined his on the hilt of the historic blade. Another idea came to him and he called for Ron to join them. Then, together, the three of them raised the sword, and together plunged it into the chest of the evil creature lying at their feet.
    A wave of magic nearly knocked them down, but they stood their ground, holding the gleaming blade in place while it completed its task. A red glow surrounded the magically constructed body that was but an ugly mimic of flesh and blood, and soon died out as the wave of magic subsided.
    It was finally over. Voldemort’s reign had come to an end, on the grounds of Hogwarts where had begun some fifty years before. Harry Potter, this time with the help of his best friends, had defeated the dark lord one last time.

“Mum?” she asked in a small voice. “Do you still have all three of the Deathly Hallows?” Hermione gazed back at her for a moment, then nodded with a grim, resigned expression. “So you’re the Master of Death? You must be the most powerful witch in the world!” Hermione looked anything but powerful as she lowered her head and shrugged. “But what good does it do me if I can’t be with the man I love?” She looked back up, her eyes now filled with tears. “For all the magical power I have, I still can’t bring him back. I feel so helpless. I’d give it all up in an instant if I could just hold him again.”

For me, this is what's exactly wrong with this fic. Hermione-sue is fail.

I'll give it 2/5 just for the sake of clean writing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. GirlUniverse

GirlUniverse Disappeared

High Score:
    THis deserves to be in the Library. I love chem prof.

4. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Nice necro anon.
    To the story itself, I like Hermione, in theory I even like Harry/Hermione. In theory.

But this "true version" nonsense is a good example of why I emphasize the "in theory" part of the above. Far too many H/Hr authors fall into the trap of caring more about proselytizing for their ship than the story itself.