1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Number Games by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by wordhammer, May 22, 2010.

1. Vander

Vander First Year

Bungle was good, the sequel was absolute shit though (due to it having one of the most unlikeable Harrys ever).

I can't bring myself to read this story because I can't fucking stand Ron. He contributed absolutely NOTHING in canon and usually just held back Harry and Hermione because of his idiocy and selfishness. Ron's abandonment of them in Book 7 is unforgivable and I just can't fathom why JKR had everyone just go on like nothing happened when he came back. That was when I started wishing nothing but misery for Ron.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You're being harsh on canon Ron in Deathly Hallows. He left because with all his personal problems, he wasn't strong enough to cope with the aimless despair that Harry led them into and still resist the effects of the horcrux. In other words, he wasn't as tough as Hermione and Harry; only a short list of characters in canon were. After he left, he manned up and returned, doing the "save Harry's life and destroy the locket horcrux" thing that you seem to have missed. His actions following that were unquestionably heroic and evince real growth.

3. Vander

Vander First Year

No I'm not being overly harsh on him. The fate of the entire fucking world was a stake and Ron blew off his two best friends because he was a petty, selfish bastard. He went AWOL during a time of war, so yes it was pretty much unforgivable. For comparison, just think about how soldiers think of fellow soldiers who go AWOL during a deployment and abandon their company (I can tell you right now that the overwhelming majority of the soldiers think those people are scum of the Earth).

Also, I can tell you right now I would NEVER abandon my own friends in a time of need, especially during something as critical and important as something like the horcrux hunt. It's seriously like someone abandoning their friends while they while they all are trying to stop a nuclear war.

The fact that he returned lessens the abandonment somewhat, but it's still not something that should ever be forgiven. This situation fits the "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" perfectly when considering his other abandonments.

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I'm sure this is a wonderful place to rehash the flaws/traits of Canon:Ron.

Personally, I think the Ron in the fic is how he could have turned out, if his fighting with Hermione turned nasty. Granted she was demonized in the fic so we would be sympathetic to Ron, but it's not like his unlikable traits, boning anything with legs, were played down or anything. They were there, easy for us to read.

5. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I liked this story overall. Probably the only Ron centric story that I've read and liked. Ron was presented to be a flawed character but not overly so. The story maintained a balance that it did not turn out to be a bashing of either him or Hermione. The interaction between Ron and Hermione was quite funny.

The writing as always with Jbern was good. A few problems that I had was that when Ron had his flashbacks, I was pretty confused at first at what time period it was occurring.

I'd rate this as 4/5, it is good but not something that I'm likely to read again.

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I'm sorry, but did you not read the part where Ron was being possessed by a horcrux? Or were you to busy wiping the shipper tears from your eyes?

7. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really. Really? You're going to make the argument that YOU are a better person than the fictional best friend of Harry Potter, and that's how you judge him? And you want us to take you seriously? I mean, setting aside the fact that this is all fictional and therefore impossible to judge, you don't have to take it so personally. Ron didn't wrong YOU. And either way, as mentioned, Ron comes back as quite the badass in the end, and there was also the little thing about the horcrux... yeah. I actually like Ron's character, even in canon, and so I definitely appreciated this story. It was well written.

8. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked the story. It was fairly entertaining and worth the read.

9. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Got to agree with this here. I'm no Ron fan, but he redeemed himself pretty well in DH.

To the fic, 4/5. JBern's writing was excellent as usual, the characterization of Ron shows actual depth of character(something JKR decided to omit from many of her canon characters), the romance with Padma was interesting and fairly realistic, the spats with Hermione were funny, and Harry became a badass in the end.

Only thing I didn't like was the focus on Quidditch, though he managed to pull it off rather well. Now if only he could write a story detailing Harry's life.