1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nvidia's Pascal cards

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Gengar, May 9, 2016.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone else excited about this?

From what I understand, the 1070 is insane value for performance, supposedly outperforming 980s in SLI?

This is the first time I've ever thought the flagship would be overkill if I only intend to use a 1080 monitor for the foreseeable future.

Basically made this thread so smarter people can discuss the cards and inform my decision. I've already posted that I'm still running a 690.

What's everyone else's thoughts? Digital Foundry seemed impressed...

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've been following speculation about it on HardOCP & HardForum for a while, especially since I'm planning on building a desktop later this year. Even if these are out of my price range I might be able to find a solid 980 on sale once they're out. Here's some of the recent links:

Info & Announcement
    Forum Thread

Rumor has it that the 1070 card will be <$400 and might, just might, out perform the Titan X. Not sure what the 1080 flagship is going to go for. At the moment I'm still running my Radeon 6850. Though to be fair it still runs everything I want it to run, it's just over-heating.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I built my computer back in 2012, but I can't really see myself upgrading until I want to genuinely pursue VR. I expect that will be Gen 2, as Gen 1 isn't quite what I'm hoping for yet.

The more time goes on, the less games I play so yeah.

4. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm very excited for pascal- I know I really should wait for next gen to upgrade but, I will be saying goodbye to my EVGA 970 and picking up an EVGA 1080 when they are released. I should still get a good price selling my 970 to somebody. Hopefully over 150 euro.

I have an entire new build planned, once the i6930 chip is released I'll pick up one of those also. I have two SSD's right now and 1 TB of 3.5 of HDD, the new build will have 1TB of SSD and the two old SSDs I have already(120GB + 480GB). With 120GB(windows) and 480(games) I regularly run out of space and have to uninstall a big game just to install a different one.

5. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I'm excited for Pascal as well, though I expect I'll remain on my 970 for awhile yet unless I win Nvidia's Fallout 4 mod competition.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm still on a 690, lol. I might just go for the 1080...

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Since my 760 just went poof on me I might just try this. With the outrageous price VGAs are here though, I expect to wait until someone I know can bring it back from the US.

The sole exception to this is the 970 which is very reasonably priced here. Should I pay the 400 dollars they are asking here or wait and buy the 1070-80 when opportunity arises?

Btw, I'm full of doubts about SLI. Is it worth it?

8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Wait or buy used, there are already 980tis on eBay for $310 with transferable warranties.

Also SLI is awful and absolutely not worth it, especially since more and more games are shipping without SLI support. It's an increasingly bad investment.

9. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    I'm very impressed with the performance of both the 1070 and the 1080. They look like incredibly good cards, both for the power draw they use and their price.

That being said, neither of them is worth upgrading my 980Ti over just yet. I'm probably going to end up waiting for either the 1080Ti, or the 11xx series, since nothing I throw at my card currently gives it any problems at 1080p 144hz.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Looks like aussies are getting dicked hard for the new cards..

11. Skykes

I know you guys make more money there, but 1300$ BEFORE shipping. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Hopefully it's not real or gets changed.

I'm hoping it will be under €750 after shipping for my new build which will also have a i7-6800/6850/6900 (Fuck the 6950 though, it will probably be €1500). I saw 16GB of 3200 ram for €65 online which I will also include.

Planning on building in August/September.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  12. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

It'll be cheaper to buy from newegg or amazon, by far.

Assuming it sits at 599 usd, it'd be ~830 AUD, then plus whatever shipping they want to charge you (~30-50 depending on speed / insurance, etc).

So 900 tops and I know EVGA have global 3 year warranty and probably some other big players do as well.

13. Skykes

I'll be going with EVGA again- Unless one of the other aftermarket cards blows them out of the water somehow.

I wish their tradeup program included Europe also >_>

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just think. From July 2017 that $900 would be $990. Yay. A brighter future for Harvey Norman!

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I was a couple days away from ordering a new system while waiting for my pay, now I might aswell wait a couple months. Not because I'm going to get one of the new cards but because hopefully the 980ti will drop in price in the coming months.

Excited to save money, disappointed that I'm putting off a new system... again.

The life of a tight-arse.

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's like you've read my diary. I'm very interested in the new cards and the pressure they'll put on prices of existing cards.

17. KaiDASH

980 TI is already dropping like a rock for 2nd hand, esp the marketplaces on tech / overclocking websites.

It's gone from selling at ~850 (AUD) a month ago, to ~650 now.

My experience in Australia is that the old flagship doesn't get discounted heavily, it just quietly disappears from stock after the next gen comes out.

18. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

The funny part is, the used game market will be in for a shock. I mean, a 1070 will be on par with the Titan X but quite a few Titan X owners won't want to sell for too cheap. The thing is, with a GTX 1070 being only $369, unless you're going to price it at sub $350, nobody will buy it. Good luck convincing a Titan X owner to even sell at $350 or less however.

yak
  19. Gengar

High Score:
    Since when do Newegg/ Amazon ship shit that matters to Australia? There's a reason pc stores can charge such extortionate prices here.

20. KaiDASH

They've been shipping some brands for many years now. I bought a corsair PSU and ram from amazon in 2011.