Nvidia's Pascal cards

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Gengar, May 9, 2016.

1. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sigh, bought the 1080 and a new 1440p monitor.

I've no impulse control...

2. yak

yak Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

Mhm. I've been leaning towards a cheap 4k set (or two), but a 21:9 at 1080p (2560x1080) is looking damned good, even if pricey. I had thought that a 4k set would be the obvious move for a new monitor, but even though 1080p is a poorer resolution, it might be superior as a computer monitor resolution for some years, especially in regards to how tiny text can be on 4k.

Twin monitors are great, so getting the same effect on a single 21:9 panel is a welcome idea. Watch this review of an LG panel if you're unconvinced: https://youtu.be/KnrxNfxRK_4

Edit: I got my resolutions wrong. Fixed. I'll look at 1440p solutions too (3440x1440).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

I'd really suggest the 3440x1440 monitor, I used an AOC 21:9 1440 monitor for a while and I loved it. I had to get rid of it in the end due to a lack of desk space, but I regret it. I'd take a 3440x1440 monitor over my current monitor any day.

I've not used a 21:9 1080 monitor but Linus (the guy who your review is by) said that that 21:9 at 1080 feels cramped.

yak
  4. Gengar

High Score:
    Specifically, I got the PG279Q ROG Swift to go with the 1080. Hoping to be gaming at around 165fps to match that refresh rate.

I couldn't justify a 1080 on a 1080p monitor, so what do I do? I buy the most expensive 1440p monitor to justify it. Again, I'm a useless human being.

5. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

meanwhile i'm living pretty content over here with a 1080p monitor and a still quite good 970.

Don't get me wrong, the additional pixels and frames are tempting, but a 970 is still a crazy good card for 1080p, so I'm content. It does make me wish there were more cards in the $200-$350 range however.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    I think AMD's new cards are targeting that market.

7. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

Aye, their new RX 480 is to be priced at $200, and the better RX 490 will be priced above that.

8. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Now that a variety of 1080s other than the FE are starting to come out, I have been researching which one I want to try to get (emphasis on try). Right now I feel I have got it narrowed down to either the Asus rog strix oc edition or the Gigabyte xtreme gaming premium pack. Both seem pretty comparable, but I just can't decide which to focus on getting. I am slightly leaning towards the Asus one only because my new motherboard is also an Asus, but I was wondering if anyone else has been looking into the different versions of the 1080 and might have a recommendation of which to go for or if there is a different card that is better than both of those that I should be considering?

This graphics card is the last piece I need to finish building my new computer rig. My current graphics card is an Evga gtx 460 that I got years ago and I seriously need an upgrade, lol.

9. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

Asus' warranty is reportedly a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with, and I'm not familiar with gigabytes beyond them having a propensity for large and well binned cards.

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Overclockers UK got in some 1080s today and they are going fast. 20 minutes ago there was 10 cards, now there is 1.

I finally pulled the trigger on my parts order.

Got one of the Asus cards I just linked, 960 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD and a Thermaltake Case.

Should have everything by next week, considering taking Friday and Monday off work to enjoy the new parts properly.