1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Oathbringer (Stormlight III), by Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Darth_Revan, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango DA Member

Sorry for this, but, really?

Link: https://www.tor.com/2017/10/17/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-22-24/

"I am no philosopher, to intrigue you with piercing questions."

"I am no poet, to delight you with clever allusions."

"I have no doubt that you are smarter than I am. I can only relate what happened, what I have done, and then let you draw conclusions."

But, why is this going on for 24+ chapters? The other books had chapter quotes that provided world-building information. Why is Sanderson wasting space writing edgy inanity? How did this stuff get through the editing process? It provides nothing, it does nothing, it has no impact on the story. It doesn't even build Jasnah's character after the 3rd chapter quote. We get it, Jasnah is a humble heretic. Does the 10,000 page Stormlight Archive really need to be 10,001?

Sanderson's novellas are good and great. His epic fantasies are becoming trash.

P.S. is there a method of editing/merging posts a week later?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Absolutista

Absolutista Fourth Year

I think Dalinar is the 'writer' of the quotes, not Jasnah.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Professor DLP Supporter

I mean, you could be right, but we're 25 chapters into a 139 chapter book. It's probably too early to conclude the quotes have no impact on the story, or even that the author is Jasnah. (Sanderson has a history of tricking the reader into thinking the chapter quotes come from the wrong character.)

4. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You get way too hung up on this.

5. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    I meant to post this yesterday, but new chapters dropped: Chapters XXV, XXVI, XXVII

I was disappointed by the lack of Kaladin material, but I did think that Shallan's investigation of the bowels of Urithiru might actually end up being the better story. The strange demon thing that imitates murders and violence is really intriguing.

On the Dalanar front, I'm beginning to think that Dalanar never loved his wife. Which leads to the question: If his wish to the Nightwatcher wasn't to take away the pain of losing the woman he loved, because he didn't, then what was it?

Oh, and for @Swirly Mango: I think those quotes are going to turn out to be by Dalanar himself, so they might actually have a lot of meaning, despite your constant grousing.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    This is a stupid thing, but...

It's Dalinar.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Shallan can basically make animation with her powers. That's pretty cool. I could easily picture the theater scene playing out in a movie.

Her storyline is beginning to intrigue me.

Amaram still being relevant to the story is a bit annoying to be honest. For now it doesn't make sense why he'd just be handed a princedom just like that, especially from an apparently cunning woman.

I still don't like Dalinar's flashback. This entire bloodthirsty warrior thing is so cliche. I just hope that he ends up being Odium's champion though.

8. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    This week's chapters: Chapter XXVIII, XXIX, XXX

I think the book is really picking up. I miss the focus on Kaladin, but I think he might feature more prominently in later Acts of the books. For now, I'm really interested in the fact that we just met one of the Unmade.

9. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

ebook should be on sale in an hour or so, assuming you haven't bribed your local bookstore into giving you a copy early. Hype!

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am the living embodiment of hype, but first I need to finish my WoR reread. And then I need to tackle Edgedancer.

Maybe I'll take a sick day.

11. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

You fool! Gotta get your reread ducks in a row a week before release.

edit:

Also, got my copy read to go. Goodbye, earth, you're dead to me for the next 24 hours.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017