1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official DLP Nuzlocke Run

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Mindless, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Running an Emerald challenge as well, this is take 2. Take one had a lot of my guys die during training because I just wasn't careful enough, so decided to restart. Currently I just defeated Roxane with no casualties. My lineup is as follows in order of catching,

Mute's Team:
    Torchic(...Hic...) - LVL 15
    Lombre(Lily) - LVL 15
    Taillow(Marvolo) - LVL 15 - Peck is just nearly as potent as Avada Kedavra in wiping out my training Pokemon.
    Shroomish(HalfBaked) - LVL 16 - Leech Seed + Absorb let me own the Gym leader easily
    Beautifly(Stiltskin) - LVL 16

Optional Rules:

Can't buy anything from the Poke'Mart, all items must be found, and no using any Berries. I may make an exception on Poke'Balls. Depends just how many drop, compared to how many I use.

None of my guys have died yet, though wild Taillow's have come close to unexpectedly ending the lives of guys 6 levels above him.

Mindless - You use the coin hack on your current rerun?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Also doing one (Blind) I haven't played a pokemon game since the late 90's (Having grown up) but watching Mindless's stream gave me the urge to try this challenge.

-got emulator + Diamond
    -first attempt my team got stomped by a wild high level onix in coal mine. (Bind killed my guys, didn't even get a chance to use rock smash)
    -second attempt is going very well. I caught abra first try with a pokeball throw at full health and got very lucky :) currently going through eterna forest (I think. I don't know this game at all and know very little about the series in general) Kedrabra is 19 and kicking a lot of ass. Monferno is 16. Luxio is 15. 13 onix. 13 psyduck. 13 bidoof. IDK whats next and will not read a walkthrough.

-edit. just beat second gym, leaf/grass/posion or something. I think I was supposed to do some team galaxy Headquarters but IDK. I went strait to the gym once I entered Eterna city. The 4 trainers in front of the leader were very easy, and magikarp and onix both got some xp from leeching when I switch to Kedabra(20). Confusion > everything. The leader was unexpected. I kept magikarp out front for more xp. Subbed in Kedabra and confusion worked it. Kept Kedabra in for turtwig. Turtwig got a hit in and got kedrabra down to half. Kept kedabra in for the evolved cheerleader planthing. Confusion did decent damage, but it brought Kedabra down to 1! health so I subbed it out. I subbed in Monferno(17) but I didn't even get to use ember before I was forced to switch him out. Luxio was the only pokemon i had left that would not get one shot (magikarp, Bibarel and Onix) Luxio was 19 so that is good, but I don't know how much her pokemon (22) would do to it or how much damage mine could do to her. Regardless, it was my only option. Thankfull, her magical leaf things were fairly weak against it, and she kept using weak poison shots. I used bite and about 4 of them took her out, leaving my luxio at about 1/3 health. Somehow I pulled that win out of my ass without loosing anyone because I was very unprepared. But that is what makes it fun :)

-edit just killed some Galaxy people and Commander jupiter. Her skunktank was a massive pain. Confusion did nothing to it, so Kedabra was useless. Monferno got assaulted with massive accuracy reducing moves and could not hit shit. Luxio finally got the job done with spark though.

---------- Post automerged at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Ok, I restarted my computer, and my emulator decided to roll back my saved games so I lost about 6 hours, and am back before Eterna Forest, which is where I ended last night. SO essentially I have to redo everything after the first gym, and I was already across the biking bridge and omw to the next city after gym 2.

http://www.livestream.com/Lord_Anarchy is my stream. I'm seven levels behind where I was an hour ago :/ I'm not really doing nuzlocke, seeing as I am a noob at the game and have no clue whats going on. Also, no audio so you can listen to the other peoples streams going on

-edit

After the 4th time through eterna forest due to emulator crashing and erasing my last saves, i finally made it through gym two (Gardenia) again. This time I just kept monferno(18-19) out front and swept her whole team

-edit just finish galaxy commander jupiter again. shock -> paralysis -> dead skuntank

-edit finished cycling path and wayward cave. apparently I need strength in the secret cave to catch a gibel (sp?) kicked my rivals ass and caught a ghastly in some mansion in eterna forest. made my way to the next city that starts with and H. couldn't figure out what to do with the contest thing so i went to the next city. cleared out the forgotten tower, caught a high level murkrow, and got strength. couldn't find a gym in this town so idk. Probably kill more stuff and head to the next town

I havn't named my characters anything special except my main character (Liandan)
    Monferno -25
    Ghastly -24
    Luxio -24
    Bibarel -16
    Kadabra -24
    Gyarados -21
    two pokemon are at the day care Onix (15) and Murkrow (21)
    havn't done any powerlevelling at all, and have been playing the game essentially blind. Only had one death so far.

-edit made my way into veilstone town and fooled around and the gamecorner before realizing how boring it was. decided to hit up the gym (#3) my underleveled Kedabra was ruthless and killed everything in there without taking a single point of damage

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lost Cho the Magikarp at level 18 to Arenatrap Diglett (right after saying I wanted Pidgeotto to lead so that I could avoid Arenatrap, then not actually changing out.) Then Diglett was killed by a Pikachu of all things, showing that Electric types can shit on your ground type if the RNG wills it.

Zubat also died, when I forgot that Psychic > Poison, even if Zubat's Bug/Dark moves were good against Kadabra. So Cho, Theo, Pansy... farewell.

Quite a long list of captures though. Sandshrew, Geodude, Vulpix, Eevee, Doduo.

So the run thus far, broken down.

Daphne the Ivysaur, Level 31
    Rowena the Pidgey, deceased
    Blaise the Mankey, deceased
    Pettigrew the Raticate, Level 26
    Astoria the Beedrill, Level 23
    Padma the Pidgeotto, Level 26
    Theo the Zubat, deceased
    Cho the Magikarp, deceased
    Pansy the Diglett, deceased
    Filius the Spearow, Level 15 (boxed)
    Horace the Sandshrew, Level 16 (boxed)
    Goyle the Geodude, Level 19 (boxed)
    Romilda the Vulpix, Level 17
    Harry the Eevee, Level 25 (will be Jolteon for obvious reasons)
    Gred the Doduo, Level 20 (boxed)

Very enjoyable game with lots of moments that could have gone either way.

4. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Arg, pp is a really annoying factor with Pokemon Centers costing that much to use, which puts a damper on power leveling. At least you can IV train in the area with strategic retreating.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, we've been tinkering as we go along. There's a really retarded curve around Mount Moon, where before hand you have no funds even if we bring the cost down to two pokeballs, and then afterwards you can dish out four or five and still be swimming in cash. I think a sample size is needed before any hard-and-fast gradient is made, so don't feel forced to stick to that rule religiously - just use the centers honestly.

Inb4 shouldatoldmesoonerfagut

6. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Once you get the VS seeker though, it's smooth sailing from there on out, I believe. You can easily abuse it to fight easy trainers that give out tons of cash and just power level off them. Using Squirtle, I plan on intentionally skipping Misty until I get to Blastoise and skipping Erika outright until I can buy Ice Beam.

Edit: After some testing, 2 pokeballs is actually decent, considering you have about 3000 to work with. At 400 per heal, that's 7ish heals + 2 free before you have to advance to trainers in the forest to get money.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lol, and that would be exactly why said rule is needed, to prevent power leveling abuse...

8. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Are there any restrictions on ingame trades? The exp modifier could come in handy and a Mr. Mime isn't half bad.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would say not. You're having to give up one of your captures, so you don't net gain as far as total numbers go. And if you luck out and catch what they want... sure, why not?

That is not clear at all. Ruling: Trades in-game allowed.

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Interesting three hours of gameplay today. I kept brief notes as I went.

- First death within 10min of restarting. It was my Poochyena. Critical hit by a Wurmple, of all things, took off 5 instead of the usual 2. Now I actually need to raise my Zizagoon!
    - Caught another Poochyena west of Petalburg. I'm really frustrated at not having a Taillow, Wingull or Lotad, all three of which are more useful than a Mightyena. Being a bit more cautious in my raising.
    - Caught a Wurmple in Petalburg Forest. Poochyena the 2nd was nearly KO'd from poison but I made it back to the centre in time. (Potions out of battle, yes, in battle, no, and no purchasing them. Pickup is much weaker in Emerald than it was in R/S, but I won't use it. I did until Roxanne but realised it's still too easy.)
    - Caught a Taillow east of Rustboro. I'm stoked. Swellow's are pretty good for most of the game. Wurmple evolved into Dustox. Will get rid of it asap now that I have Taillow.
    - Caught a Whismur in Verdanturf Cave. Now have six Pokemon. Soon as Whismur catches up, I'm taking on Roxanne.
    - Beat Roxanne thanks to my newly evolved Marshtomp. Piece of cake. Nosepass, despite being a powerhouse normally, used three Hardens and a Block (took so many hits because Roxanne used two Potions on it). Probably won't level so much from now...
    - Caught a Makuhita in Granite Cave. Replacing Poochyena, who at the moment needs a ton of experience and doesn't seem to be getting much stronger. I think he'd learn Bite really soon, but a Fighting type is more beneficial at this stage. Decided against fishing for a Magikarp because I already have a Water type and a bunch of you guys are raising them anyway. I'd prefer a Corphish or a Staryu or a Carvanah as a replacement for Marshtomp.
    - Couple of near misses while raising Makuhita thanks to being hurt in confusion three times in a row in two consecutive battles (different Pokemon, however). Beat Brawley thanks to Taillow and Dustox (the latter of which sucks, but because it's not Normal/Flying, managed to avoid extensive damage from Reversal by a red healthed Makuhita which would've finished Taillow).
    - Found my third Poochyena just north of Slateport. I would've liked an Electrike, Oddish or even a Gulpin, but no.
    - Nooo! My Taillow fainted to a Skitty's critical hit Doubleslap. I'd hit it with Wing Attack, but it just survived, got infatuated due to its ability, couldn't attack three times in a row, which Skitty used to Tail Whip me twice and then attack with Doubleslap, critical hitting me on the third hit. It was literally ~200 exp from evolving. Argh!

At end of play for the day, my team is as follows...

Mudkip -> Marshtomp Lv 20
    Poochyena Lv 4 - Fainted
    Zizagoon -> Linoone Lv 20
    Poochyena the 2nd Lv 15
    Wurmple -> Dustox Lv 19
    Taillow Lv 21 - Fainted
    Whismur -> Loudred Lv 20
    Makuhita Lv 19

EDIT: Oh, and saved in front of my Rival underneath Cycling Road.

Only healing items out of battle, but only potions and related health items, no status healers (not just poison). Allowed to purchase Poke'Balls, but nothing else (buy 10 get a Premier ball free!). So, pretty much the same as Mindless, except I didn't give mine nicknames. Couldn't think of anything that wasn't copying either Mindless or Vlad (either run).

11. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I did a run and failed spectacularly when it came to the second gym. Managed to wtfpwn everyone up until I came across Misty. Crazy bitch and her Starmie Army had it in for me.

That said, relevant logs:

Rest in peace.

/me restarts.

12. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

This whole thread has me :awesome

13. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Yeah, I'm severely overleveled. I'm level 30 at Mount Moon. By the time I hit Misty, my starter will be at its final evolution (Blastoise).

14. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

Starting one of my own because this seems like a lot of fun. I'm using LeafGreen version.

So far, I just beat Brock for my first badge, and my Pokemon are as follows:

1: Ivysaur/Flitwick: Level 16.
    2: Beedrill/Marchbanks: Level 15
    3: Pidgey/Hedwig: Level 15

15. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Started a Nuzlocke run of Heart Gold this morning. Going pretty well, I’ve only just arrived in Violet City.

My Team of Epicness:
    Cyndaquil (level 8 )
    Sentret (level 6)
    Spinarak (level 7)
    Rattata (level 4)
    Geodude (level 4)

I wanted to catch a Bellsprout, but I accidently KO’d the one I found since I wasn’t paying attention. ;_; Luckily, I found a Spinarak, so that made up for it. I'm hoping to find a Hoothoot or Gastly, though I'm not sure I'll be lucky enough.

16. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Another session, a bit of mixed bag but I think I've come out ahead, when all is said and done.

Did a bit of leveling of the new recruits to ~20, then went ahead and plowed through the game corner. One or two very close calls - including a Voltorb that self-destructed while Pidgeotto was in mid-fly. Whew.

Fought Giovanni, was crushing him and then he sent out the &*%#$ Kangaroo.

And so, choices had to be... made. I tried taking him out but his Megapunch was taking everyone into the danger yellow. Then he got a crit and killed Astoria. Romilda was sent out to use wisp, and then I was trying to just throw out bodies until he burned to death. Sadly, this required Goyle to take on for the team. Harry ended up taking the win, but there was no honor in it.

Suffice it to say, what was once a Harry/Harem was now slashgame. Harry. Horace. Pettigrew. Gred.

Recovery was made when I crushed the rival in the tower and fought a Cubone. Lavender joined the team. Beat the tower, got the flute, fought Snorlax. Molly was caught.

Fished in Route 12, caught Krabby who I was hoping for, then fought the rest of the retard fisherman and got to 13 - WILD GYARDOS IN THE WATERZ OM NOM NOM...

So a net gain of 0, but sentimental value (which was MASSIVE) aside, I traded Vulpix, Beedrill, and Geodude for Krabby, Snorlax, and Gyarados.

Edit: Net gain of 1! Forgot Cubone.

Guaranteed to always be in lineup:
    - Daphne the Venusaur, Level 35

Likely to see quite a lot of time in battle:
    - Harry the Jolteon, Level 30
    - Padma the Pidgeotto, Level 29
    - Pettigrew the Raticate, Level 27
    - Salazar the Gyarados, Level 24
    - Lavender the Cubone, Level 19
    - Kingsley the Krabby, Level 18

Will certainly have its moment in the sun:
    - Molly the Snorlax, Level 30

Their use pretty much means I'm &*%$#:
    - Gred the Doduo, Level 20
    - Horace the Sandshrew, Level 17
    - Filius the Spearow, Level 15

You may rest easy, knowing your comrades take strength from your sacrifice:
    - Rowena the Pidgey (Viridian City, Wild ???)
    - Blaise the Mankey (Viridian City, Wild ???)
    - Theo the Zubat (SS Anne, Rival's Kadabra)
    - Pansy the Diglett (Vermillion City, Trainer's Pikachu ;_; )
    - Cho the Magikarp (Diglett's Cave, Wild Diglett)
    - Astoria the Beedrill (Game Corner, Giovanni's Kangaskhan)
    - Romilda the Vulpix (Game Corner, Giovanni's Kangaskhan)
    - Goyle the Geodude (Game Corner, Giovanni's Kangaskhan)

In conclusion, FU Gio, FU

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  17. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

I lol'd

Filler.

18. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Twas an epic moment in the chat. Everyone was thinking either Hagrid or Maxime depending on the gender, but then someone dropped the Molly bomb and many lulz were had.

19. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

My plans for the day fell through due to rain, so I played quite a bit.

- Made it to Mauville without too much drama. Four out of six were paralysed, though.
    - Caught an Oddish west of Mauville, thus replacing Poochyena again (who'd I brought back after Taillow died). Raised until it evolved into Gloom and had caught up. Then raised everyone for 20min (I was nervous after losing Taillow) and beat Watson fairly easily.
    - Caught a Koffing in Fiery Path. I was hoping for a Torkoal, but alas, they’re quite rare. Since I've already got Gloom for poison moves, I'm keeping Koffing in the PC for the time being.
    - Caught a Numel in Route 112 (either side of Fiery Path). Numel jumps in Linoone's place. Glad I have a Fire type. Gave it the Quick Claw due to its horrendous speed stat. Fought the four battles in a row family with Numel at the top, who lost 48hp in one Hi Jump Kick, managing to hang on with 3hp left, from the grandma.
    - Caught a Skarmory in Route 113. It replaces Dustox in my team. Best result I could’ve hoped for here. Best route music ever.
    - A TRAINER'S KOFFING SELF-DESTRUCTED MY NUMEL! From just less than full health, too. Now I know how Mindless feels. There goes my Fire type... Farewell Numel, I really hoped you’d stick around.
    - Caught Swablu in Route 114. He’ll replace Skarmory if he ever goes south, but since I’ve got a Flying type already, no dice.
    - Caught Zubat in Meteor Falls. Love the music. Would’ve liked a Solrock (to replace Numel as a Fire type), but no. Since I’ve got Skarmory, Zubat will remain in the PC.
    - Beat Team Magma atop Mt Chimney without breaking a sweat. Caught a second Numel in Jagged Pass! Hopefully this one doesn’t die as it was my last chance to obtain a Fire type.
    - Flannery caused a bit of worry. First three Pokemon were easy. Then, Torkoal thankfully missed with a Sunny Day juiced Overheat, only to have Body Slam nearly kill Numel in one hit. But Numel managed to hang on and get a decent Magnitude in for victory.
    - Caught a Trapinch in Route 111 (Sandstorm area). Although they’re pretty shoddy for quite awhile, Trapinch does become the fairly awesome Flygon. Loudred is removed to make room for Trapinch.
    - Fought Norman. Everything went well except Gloom died. Linoone vs. Gloom. Linoone was faster, used Belly Drum. I’d used Sleep Power, then proceeded to attack but took off barely anything. Norman used a Hyper Potion after I attacked twice, and I attacked once again, though I should’ve switched. Linoone woke up, used Slash and one-hit ko’d me. Skarmory then took over and won fairly easily. Loudred comes back in to the party.
    - Found a Zizagoon as my first wild Pokemon in Route 118. Killed it. Was hoping for an Electrike. Still, I got New Mauville left to find an Electric type.
    - Found a Linoone in Route 119. Killed it. Goddamn it, I was hoping for another Oddish. Now I definitely need an Electric type.
    - Caught a Voltorb in New Mauville. Would've prefered a Magnemite, but beggars can't be choosers. Don't think I've ever raised a Voltorb, actually. Voltorb replaces Loudred. Nearly lost Marshtomp while raising Voltorb. I switched in to Marshtomp when confronted with a Lv 35 Tentacool, which got a critical hit Bubblebeam taking off 48 of my remaining 49hp.
    - Caught a Wingull in Route 115. Trapinch was an utter bitch to raise, but managed to get it to Vibrava without any near misses.
    - Didn't catch anything on Routes 105-108. Two Tentacools which I forgot to try and capture and then two Wingulls. Abandoned Ship has awesome music, too.

Team as of this post. Bold is who I have with me.

Mudkip -> Marshtomp -> Swampert Lv 36
    Poochyena Lv 4 - Fainted
    Zizagoon -> Linoone Lv 20
    Poochyena the 2nd Lv 15
    Wurmple -> Cascoon -> Dustox Lv 28
    Taillow Lv 21 - Fainted
    Whismur -> Loudred Lv 29
    Makuhita -> Hariyama Lv 33
    Oddish -> Gloom Lv 29 Fainted
    Koffing Lv 15
    Numel Lv 24 - Fainted
    Skarmory Lv 34
    Swablu Lv 17
    Zubat Lv 15
    Numel the 2nd -> Camerupt Lv 36
    Trapinch -> Vibrava Lv 36
    Voltorb -> Electrode Lv 38
    Wingull Lv 24

Hariyama is pretty poor at the moment. He'll likely be first to go when the opporunity arrives (not until after Fortree for a non-fished Pokemon). Skarmory to follow, as Flygon can, funnily enough, use Fly.

20. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I confess: I had a go too, on Sapphire. I'd pretty much lost my entire team but my starter (treeko) until I got to Granite Cave, where to my luck I skipped the first level without encountering any pokémon and on the next floor down met Aron, which I caught.

Now my team is a badass Sceptile / Aggron / Flygon combination. I feel like I've accomplished something here.