1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2. Zed

Zed Third Year

Yessssssssssssss...

If you thought Roberta was scary before, you're in for it.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Giant Killing

The Opener.

Premiering this season, "Giant Killing" follows East Tokyo United, a soccer team that is very close to hitting the bottom of the barrel; their better players have been traded away, and their fans are either losing the passion to remain or have left for better teams already. To counteract this the son of the owner is brought in to manage the failing team, the fact that he was once the star player of ETU and was able to turn an amateur team in England into a contender for the FA Cup being the two big reasons for this move.

Even if you don't enjoy watching soccer I would suggest at least taking a look.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

So I finally finished watched Xam'd: Lost Memories today. For those who don't know, it was released by Bones studio two years ago, and was done by a lot of the same people who worked on Eureka 7. Now I haven't watched Euraka 7, but from what I understand there are a lot of similarities between the two shows thematically and aesthetically.

The ending felt rushed to me, I think that they should have spent more time on some important exposition like they had in previous episodes instead of running it all together at the end so it would all make sense. Other than that though, I like this series a lot. Interesting and entertaining characters, a solid story overall, and despite rushing it a very neat and nice ending that doesn't leave (many) loose ends.

Anyways, go check this series out, it's good stuff that not enough people know about.:)

5. Dark Minion

Yeah, that.

I watched it because I had seen Eureka Seven and wasn't let down. The main subject is the same, a - here older - boy and girl have to fullfill their destiny. With 26 episodes it's half as long as E 7, which is speeding up a similar plot.

The best part is the end. In E 7 it's a train wreck (the E 7 manga isn't however), but here it's great - though with the very last scene leaving doubts about the real end (probably added for the wussy American audience).

6. Dark Minion

Shiki

Shiki is a horror story, originally a Japanese novel, which just started to air.

It takes place in a small village, surrounded by a forest, with a newly built large manson towering above it. After several people die of something that looks like an epidemic, the head of the local hospital starts to investigate the happenings.

I saw the first two episodes and so far setting and atmosphere remind me of "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni". There are quite a few deaths within the first two episodes, though it's less brutal and the deaths seem to be caused by the summer heat and some kind of "summer cold". The opening and ending already indicate where it's going, if that doesn't deliberately point into a wrong direction.

7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Some random recs:

Maria Holic. S/he is the most epic trap EVER.

Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei! Very unique drawing style, and a pretty intreresting story, too.

Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki to some heathens). There are only three animes with some amount of mechas in them that I've actually enjoyed - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and this. Plus this is sweet yuri!

*sigh* Honestly, I'd like to rec hundreds of animes I've enjoyed, but I can't recall any at the moment. I need to boot up my anime brain again. I'll just randomly add crap here again.

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't back this up enough. Watched the first two episodes, very excited for this series.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A new recommendation: Durarara!!

New anime, set in today's Tokyo. It's daily life/seinen, with more than a touch of wtf-mystery, underworld and violence. It tells a tale of several characters, interwoven into a very complex and amazing piece of work. Very adult and mature feeling, no cliches.

Frankly, it's epic. WTF-esque epic, but epic nonetheless. Best anime I've watched in months.

10. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

...Yeah I wish they went and gave that a different title. For a while now, seeing Durarara just reminds me of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which was a piece of crap. But I can safely say that the show's actually awesome. I second this thing too.

Btw Clerith, your new avatar seems familiar. What show/artist is she from?

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This might be a somewhat confusing, but here goes.

Sonic Epilogue (I know, it's a comic, not anime, but still)

Now, the reason that this might be a weird post is because there isn't much info about this on the internet with the exception of the first issue. In fact the internet says that it's been discontinued. However I read this over at a friends house today and he swore up and down that the entire comic had been finished, so damned if I know.

I'm half hoping someone knows about it and can tell me where to find the rest of it if it exists.

Anyway -- it's a continuation of the SatAM Sonic Cartoon where all the characters were freedom fighters. The cartoon was always a bit dark but the comic takes it another step. In the first issue Sonic gets captured and turned evil.

Supposedly Tails (now a teenager, I'd guess around 15-16) has to kill Sonic. Because, damnit, this is a war and he's never known anything else.

It's a hell of a good idea. I just wish I knew if any more of it existed to read.

Searching on the internet also netted me this over at Deviantart -- it's a flash movie, not a picture (and comes off as sad/sappy instead of epic, but w/e). It seems to hold up my friends assertation that more of the comic exists, but I wouldn't put it past him to have been talking out of his ass.

Even if it is just one issue though, I enjoyed it. Possibly only because I loved the cartoon so much, but still.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  12. Red Wizard

Red Wizard DA Member DLP Supporter

Has anyone ever watched Legend of Legendary Heroes? I was wondering if it was good or not. I also just downloaded the first episode of Bakuman today. The same artist and writer team behind Death Note are responsible. It's about two kids who want to make a best selling manga. I'm reserving judgement so far on it. Btw the Iron man anime starts this week I believe. I'm pretty pumped about it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  13. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Huge heads-up to everyone:

UTW has released a subbed Unlimited Blade Works

&

A RAW of the second Roberta's Blood Trail is online

14. Red Wizard

Guys, I want to take your word that this is good. Does the childishness of Eureka Seven go away? Like Renton's over dramatic screaming and such. I'm only on episode three btw. I was just curious.

15. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Eureka Seven changes quite a bit from the early episodes, give it until at least the Ray and Charles arc before you quit.

16. Dark Minion

Yeah, that. It's a 50 episodes anime, so the plot evolves slowly. At the moment it's just Renton trying to adapt to the life on board the Gekko state.

He has to learn that his heros are normal human beings who need money to live on. Then he has to learn about the way they earn money, and slowly it becomes clear that they all harbor a darker past.

It's not just simple mecha action but also a coming of age story and a romance. The little kids are almost always annoying and - as was stated before in this thread and in other threads - the end (the last episode) is a trainwreck. The manga ends without that part quasi an episode early.

Nevertheless I still think it was quite good. 4/5 w/o the last episode.

17. Red Wizard

Cool. Thanks.

18. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

Ironman has started as of October 1.

I haven't watched in a couple of weeks (episode 7), but LoLH was average. There really wasn't anything that made it different from any other fantasy anime adventure. It peaked at like episode three. That being said, I do plan on catching back up, maybe it has gotten better.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  19. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Second Year

Maria Holic was...really bad. Unless all you're looking for is ecchi, I suppose.

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Some titles from this year that I've enjoyed: Angel Beats, Arakawa Under the Bridge, K-ON!, Hakuouki, Kaicho wa Maid-sama, Shiki, Highschool of the Dead, Occult Academy, and The Legend of Legendary Heroes.

My tastes are pretty eclectic; I don't really have any preferred genres. If it is amusing, interesting, or is just able to hold my attention, I'll keep watching it.

I've also been on a yuri/shoujo-ai spree recently, and here were the ones that I thought were decent to great: Blue Drop, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Kannazuki no Miko, Candy Boy, Ga-Rei: Zero, Mnemosyne, Saki (actually got me playing Mahjong online), Maria Holic, and Kasimasi.