1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity Professor

That people can like different things?

2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

HeroAca is an interesting show. Not so much for the show itself as the conversation around it. Personally I dont mind it but I also dont really like it that much. Its very middle of the road, inoffensive stuff to me.

But lots of people do talk about it as if its a One Piece killer, which it doesnt even come close to. The show is like distilled essence of shonen, taking every single cliche and integrating them into one whole, but because of that it has nothing special about itself. I dont dislike the characters, but I dont really care about them either.

The protag fits into this category as well. I liked Shinji as the wreck of a person that he is. His charcter made a point about weak people and how that affects their lives. This guy makes no such point, because hes the shonen hero. Of course hes going to become strong. I dont give a single shit if he cries over some dumb struggle because I know it doesnt matter.

Also the show's insane reliance on exam or tournament arcs sucks. I would really want to see something different but I doubt I will for a long time. I just dont understand the hype around it. It has cool designs and some decent fights but it really is not interesting.

3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity Professor

Following this line of reasoning, no piece of fiction has anything special about itself. Every great anime was a product of dozens of influences that came before it. You mentioned One Piece, but One Piece distilled the tropes of the shounen manga that came before it. Evangelion did the same thing - Anno was heavily influenced by shows like Space Battleship Yamato, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Space Runaway Ideon - alongside other media such as Ultraman and Godzilla.

Boku no Hero Academia distilled shounen tropes, and mixed them with comic book tropes. It's utilizing already known archetypes to resonate with the audience's experience. Just like every good story.

As for what makes Boku no Hero Academia special? It's an endlessly optimistic story, beyond pretty much anything else airing right now IMO. The heroes are good people, the government is competent (for the most part), and most of those working within the government try their best to do the right thing. I almost have to wonder if Kohei Horikoshi has read Watchmen, because Boku no Hero feels like something of a response to it.

It also has an interesting take on superheroes beyond that. The profession isn't just treated as selfless, but selfish as well. With branding, and the importance placed on popularity. It reminds me a lot of Booster Gold. The characters all work towards becoming heroes - at least partially for fame and glory. Midoriya says it in the first episode - it's the story of how he becomes the best hero.

I think it might be fair to say that individual elements are cliched, but they're constructed in such a way that the story, nonetheless, feels unique and interesting.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

You make some good points, but nevertheless I feel like as the minority in not loving BnHA I want to keep explaining my POV.

With regards to tropes and cliche, its true that theres no such thing as an 'original anime' like you say. But its possible to be saying something new or interesting and BnHA is not. Simple themes like working hard to protect your friends are, at this point, boring. The optimism is an interesting change, but the selfishness of some heroes doesnt make the world nuanced, since those heroes still arent bad people. It doesnt seem so much like a worldview but rather a marketing view. Ive never got the sense BnHA is saying something about the nature of society, just that its targeted at the broadest demographic including small children, so they made it a wholesome show.

The thing about it is that Hero Academia is pretty well made. The pacing (sadly due to reliance on tournaments and exams) is good and the animation has a high standard. But I just cant get interested in shonen protagonist #3481. The world of superheroes has been quite thoroughly explored, and if I wanted to look into it I would probably look into comics for a more nuanced take on it.

5. Koalas

Koalas Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Based on what you said I'm going to assume you've only been watching the anime. The Hero Killer arc jumpstarts a look into what makes a hero, a villain anmd society that, if not exactly breaking new ground does become more nuanced then your typical shonen story.

As for wholesomeness.. let's just say there's a progression. As Midoriya matures as a hero so to does his realization that the world isn't as shonen as it seems. You really get to appreciate how dark the world really is.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read through this thread a bit, and didn't really see anything.
    I just finished watching OPM recently, and since season 2 isn't out yet, was looking for something to fill the void, like with all good content. Is there anything that anyone would recommend that is similar to OPM where its a satire of other animes that mirror its style?

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gintama. Satire of historical and sci fi genres. Funny, but not hilarious.
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun. Satire of shoujo genre. Absolute hilarity.