1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan is good, if a bit slow to start.

The wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin is OK too, as is the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.

Then of course you have the Discworld series by Terry Pratchet - I'd start with the ones that focus on the Night watch, as they are the best in my opinion.

2. Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn First Year

The wheel of time is good ^-^
    And books of W.J. Maryson. It's with elves, daith, wizards (sort of) ..

3. andiais

andiais DA Member

Try the Robert Rankin books too. I'd advise you start with Armageddon the musical, soooo funny! Elvis as the saviour of man! The Antichrist and Christine, Jesus' twin sister facing off, aliens who live on a world where the cathode ray grows wild! Talking sprouts called Barry! wahoo!

Also, try Terry Pratchett, he is a god. I agree, the watch books are my faves, although i have an unending affection for death, and of course, the death of rats.

And of course...Anita Blake!

4. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

5. Hobbes

Hobbes First Year

Can you point me to a good book.

I figure if we are all fanatics about Harry potter then we all might share a common likeness for stories. I've hit a bump in reading and am looking for a good book to read. Some series I have read are the WoT, the Belgariad, the Forgotten Realms series, and the Dragonlance series.Plus i've read Narnia, Hitchhikers Guide, Eragon, Sowrd of truth, LotR, along with the Shannara series, So you want to be a wizard, and Merlins series and the game of throne Series. I could never get into Artemis Foul.

The type of book i'm looking for most though is a book about an Assassins Guild, but anything that has to do with magic, fighting, and killing, that does ramble on and on is good, in which magic plays a large role, aswell as dwarves, elves and dragons and other creatures.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Edit: If this is supposed to be moved to Other books and discussions sub-forum could you kindly move it please, thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I would suggest the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and anything by Isaac Asimov.

7. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Try this

This one might be hard to find but it is well worth your time. The name of the trilogy is Eagleheart by C.T. Westcott. Book 1 is called Silver Wings and Leather Jackets. Book 2 is Broadsides and Brass. Book 3 is Blood and Bones.

It's a post nuclear America, the bombs generated RIMS (Random Induced Mutations) that the humans must fight against. Its a loving story of a boy and his bird, except in this case Hedwig is replace by a Harrier Jumpjet.

Our hero if you can call him that is a boy/eventually a man named Will Bucko. Sometimes he is the hero (winning the Congressional medal of honor thrice!), but other times he is a drunken gun running thug. He is the kind of hero that every sarcastic semi-dark independent Harry lover will adore.

It still makes me laugh every time I read it.

Jim

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Id suggest the Diablo or Starcraft Books.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon is good, if a little LotR-esque.

I include the synopsis of the first book in the series, "The Gift"

"Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She doesn't yet know she has inherited a powerful gift, one that marks her as a member of the noble School of Pellinor and enables her to see the world as no other can. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true identity and extraordinary destiny unfold. Now, she and her mysterious teacher must embark on a treacherous, uncertain journey through a time and place where the forces of darkness wield an otherworldly terror.

The first book in a projected quartet, Alison Croggon's epic about Maerad and her remarkable yet dangerous gift is a beautiful, unforgettable tale.
    "

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  10. Skade

Skade Guest

Don't give me a weird look for this one, hear me out, go and look for 'the princess bride' abridged edition. Seriously, it's ridiculously funny. If that sounds way too daunting.. eh heh then I don't know, I honestly haven't read new book in a while and it saddens me.

11. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I agree with Sree on the Asimov stuff. One of the best sci-fi authors ever.

12. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is really good, if a little fucked up, but very enjoyable. Roland the Gunslinger, main character, is very cool, kinda like clint eastwood in all the old cowboy films. It mixes sci fi, fantasy, and cowboys together, very good read.

Also His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman, very good reads

13. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix, has magic and stuff. Pendragon series by D.J MacHale (sp?). The Divide books, two of them, there okay with some magic and sort.

14. se7en

se7en Professor

I loved 1984 and Animal Farm. George Orwell is a genius. I don't really know what you are really into, so I just chose those. Another is the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

15. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I would suggest the bourne trilogy by Robert Ludlum. I downloaded it off limewire in pdf format. I am sure you can do the same if you can stand reading shit off a computer screen.

The book is awesome! It is a thriller, and has loads of action that will keep you on the edge of your seat and your heart racing. I watched the movies, and I am on the third book of the series. I love it! I am sure you would too.

16. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

You liked 1984??? I wanted to strangle the people and nuke the whole nation half way throught the book.

Anyway I would also suggest The Belgariad by David Eddings.

17. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

The vampire chronicles by Anne Rice are great if you like thrillers.
    Anne McCaffery's books are good to read too although there are alot of them my personal favourites were the Dragons of Pern Series.

The Black Magician trilogy's by Trudi Canavan is a light hearted but good read.

18. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

Agatha Christie\'s mystery novels are pretty awesome. Try those.

19. Darkside

Darkside Third Year

Try the "Keys to the Kingdom" series of books, also by Garth Nix.

20. 3rdeye

3rdeye Looked into the void

I'd suggest a book I recently started reading called The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. It's about a Drug Lord's clone.