1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Graphic Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zoken, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Augustine

Augustine First Year

Thought I'd bump this thread.

Continuing with the Superman theme - the best alternative Superman comic IMO is I Red Son - by Mark Miller. The premise is what would happen if Superman landed in the Soviet Bloc in the 1950's.

Quite short and well worth the read.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Superman: Secret Identity is also a good AU story.

3. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A good book, that's complete, is The American Way. It's in a world were superheroes are apart of the government. It's set in the 1960s and the civil rights movement is a big part of it.

Edit: Also Before Watchmen. It's a prequel of the original with each of the characters getting their own 4,5, or 6 issue mini series. Moore isn't involved, and criticized the project, so I'm not sure how good it will turn out.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  4. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Pretty massive bump, but can anyone rec me some good Marvel?

Just powered through Hawkeye and Avengers vs X-men and looking for something new.

I hear good things about Winter Soldier and The Punisher but they don't really seem like my kind of thing. Are they really that good?

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've enjoyed what I've read of Superior Spider-Man and the current run on X-Men. I'd also say Mark Waid's run on Daredevil; probably the most fun I've had reading a superhero comic in ages.

6. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'll second Superior Spider-Man. I thought it would be terrible but it's kind of a refreshing change. Also the Ultimate universe is pretty epic. Especially the Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-man.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Superior Spider-Man is good in the sense that it makes you appreciate Peter a lot more by showing you how terrible it would be if a brutal and dispassionate person like Octavius were to take over as Spider-Man.

As for the Ultimate universe, USM was the only consistently good title. Everything else like Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four eventually started to decline. Then of course Ultimatum happened and, well, goodbye Ultimate universe. Even before that though, everyone in that universe besides Peter Parker is a dick or an idiot, or both. Even fucking Captain America. And then they killed Peter, so yeah.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  8. Shinysavage

High Score:
    On a none Marvel or DC note, I've been reading Saga recently, and it's wonderful. It's like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Doctor Who all combined into one crazy universe. Basically about two soldiers on opposite sides of a war who fall in love, and run off together with their newborn daughter. Their superiors don't take kindly to this betrayal/bad PR, so try and chase them down.

Great writing, fantastic art, action packed and very funny. Can't recommend it enough.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A few days ago, someone linked me to this - Heavenly Nostrils.

It's a daily webcomic featuring Phoebe, a six or seven year old girl, and Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, a unicorn.

It's light-hearted fun, and the humour's normally alright. It's drawn and written by Dana Simpson, who's done a few other things, and definitely worth a quick click through.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wanted to get into the Batgirl comics, mainly the ones with Cassandra Cain and, to an extent, Stephanie Brown. Mainly Cass though. Where do I best start with that?

11. Marcus Livius Drusus

Marcus Livius Drusus Banned DLP Supporter

I'll second Hawkeye. It's far better than it has any right to be.

12. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Bump.
    But to anyone interested in comics I recommend the Longshot saves The Marvel Universe mini-series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Just would also like to add to anyone's reading list. Smallville Season Eleven. It despite it's predecessor's legacy is fantastic and it is has one of the best Wonder Woman's ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Wow, three posts in a row. But the last post was all the way in December. So whatever.

Ms. Marvel #1 got released this month.

The new Ms. Marvel is a socially-awkward, Pakistani Muslim teenage girl/Avengers fanfic writer living in Jersey City who gained her powers through the recent Inhumanity event. She took the name Ms. Marvel after her favorite Superhero.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/2aa86689518155233613e43dc68b241b/tumblr_n0wwni5Fl31r9xuuno1_1280.png
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/6e4e343b3867f3a001b4940113e9c125/tumblr_n0wwni5Fl31r9xuuno2_1280.png
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/43a67740394c87c41447d1456855c92d/tumblr_n0wwni5Fl31r9xuuno7_1280.png

She is adorable dork from her debut issue and her family is likable and pretty relatable to anyone from a religious/conservative family. There's not a lot meat on it since it's just the debut issue. But it seems pretty lighthearted and easy going compared to the drama of the big titles in Marvel. The artist of the comic is the same as the one who did Runaways Vol 1.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I take it you like comincs?

Wait WHAT? Smallville's STILL going?

...How is this Smallville? Shouldn't' Diana be Clark's age?
    (Also not a single character I remember from the series XD)

16. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

That's a flashback of Steve Trevor meeting Diana.

Smallville Clark is the best Clark currently being written by DC by a landslide.

Smallville Season 11 takes place 6 months after the last episode of Smallville. Superman just debuted to the world by moving Apokalips away from Earth with his bare hands and started up the new age of heroes.

And without the constricts of a live action budget and CW's meddling, the Smallville's Staff Writer was allowed to have all the fun he wanted and introduce Diana, Batman, Black Racer, Constantine, the Titans and have a huge Legion of Superheroes Arc. Green Lantern is supposed to join in April and he's building up to Captain Marvel.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    East is West, Image Comics. I've only read the first volume so far, but it's great. Post apocalyptic, except only three horsemen showed up to the battle. They're not happy about that. There's a prophecy, mysterious conspiracies, and Death as a cowboy in a very Firefly-esque universe.

[​IMG]

18. Sloth

...huh. Sounds interesting. Not sure who Black Racer i--wait a minute, THAT'S how the series ended? Clark pushed a PLANET away?

That's golden age silliness, Superman can't do that. Prime could, bu--
    OHMYGODSMALLVILLEWASTHESTORYOFSUPERBOYPRIME.

19. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Most Supermans are strong enough to move Planets even the weaker nu52 Clark can do it.

20. Sloth

...Huh. Well consider me educated.
    Like I said, I'm not big on comics, I just happen to have enough friends that are who keep me updated on the major events.