1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Graphic Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zoken, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

My recommendation is IDW's TMNT series.
    [​IMG]

This is a re-imagining of the origins of the Turtles universe. This new series incorporates characters from the whole franchise(sorry no Venus de Milo here).

The big difference being the Turtles and Master Splinter along with Shredder are reincarnated from the feudal era of Japan. That story is told in the great mini Secret History of The FootClan.[​IMG]

Comixology is currently running a sale on all ten volumes that are available to buy for half off, it breaks down to $0.97 per issue. The sale ends on the 27th. The first volume can be bought for $3, so check the series out!!
    https://www.comixology.com/Discover...ef=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

2. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

[​IMG]

The collected edition of The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage by Sydney Padua (website, amazon) came out earlier this week and is really excellent. Originally a webcomic, Lovelace & Babbage basically takes Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace and sets them in a world where (a) the Analytical Engine was actually built and (b) where they use it to fight "crime." Usually that means street musicians.

It's an incredibly well-researched look into 19th century mathematics and engineering with more footnotes than actual comic — though I would argue the snarktastic footnotes and endnotes are the real meat of the book. All of the content is informative and entertaining. Here's a sample of what a page inside the book looks like:

[​IMG]

It's laugh-out-loud funny several times throughout and I would recommend it to pretty much anyone. While you could read most of the work in the link I provided above, there's definitely about a third of the published book that, as far as I can tell, isn't available anywhere else.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've read a few new comics this week, all of which I think might be of interest.

Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray.
    After a tragic encounter with an artefact known as 'The Dreamstone', infamous treasure hunter Fabian Gray was possessed by five literary ghosts - The Archer, The Wizard, The Detective, The Samurai and the Vampire - and has been granted access to their unique abilities.

Basically a classic matinee style romp. Badass hero, magical artefacts, ancient conspiracies and mystical kingdoms. As of vol.1, it's not the most distinctive story, key concept aside, but it's great fun.

Rat Queens vol.1: Sass and Sorcery
    They're a pack of booze guzzling, death dealing battle maidens-for-hire an they're in the business of killing all the gods' creatures for profit. Meet Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief.

It's a fantasy comic, heavily inspired by RPG's, filled with bright, glorious art and a bunch of snarky badass women going off on quests - albeit quests done in lieu of legal repercussions for their drinking and brawling. Great fun, and very funny in between the badassery.

The Wicked + the Divine: The Faust Act
    Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years they are dead. Welcome to 'The Wicked + the Divine', where gods are the ultimate pop stars. But remember: just because you're immortal, doesn't mean you're going to live forever.

Another high concept book, from Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie, the writer and artist of the equally brilliant 'Phonogram' and 'Young Avengers'. Twelve gods from various different religions incarnate, become the ultimate celebrities, and then die. Volume one follows an uber-fan trying to work out whether one of them actually is guilty of murder, or if there's another god hidden out there framing them for it.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Anyone is reading Fight Club 2? I'm a little conflicted about some concepts introduced in the sixth issue, which may or may not be just another lie, but overall it's pretty good continuation of the book. It has everything the original had, but with Tyler's plans upped to eleven. And the scenes of black humor are as outrageous as ever ("Don't forget my AK-47').

5. salts

salts Third Year

Did anyone catch the latest Archie reboot? It's drawn by the same artist who did Saga, and the whole series went through a modern reboot. It's pretty great, all things considered. It doesn't try too hard after years of failed concepts, and returns to its high-school contained roots.

6. www807

www807 Squib

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, I recently rewatched the 2012 Dredd (god I love it), and I'm feeling like delving into the comics.

Anyone here familiar with the works and have recs of where to start/what to avoid/what to prioritize?

8. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

I'm going to recommend a new series. Written by a new comic book company in my country (Nigeria). I read it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by the quality so much I had to drop a recommendation. It is just 3 issues so far but so far it is very promising.

Titled Avonome, it follows the titular character who has no knowledge of her past and has the ability to see spirits. It can be found free here.