1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I thought about reading the manga but honestly the first episode of the anime didn't exactly fill me with confidence. The MC was a bit to childish (for a lack of better word) and naive for my tastes so I wondered if he "matures" in the manga.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Dunno how far the first episode got, but manga's first arc had his childish and naive views shown as the proper way of dealing with war and politics (which is why I dropped it hard).

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Sheriff Evans' Lie: A great newish gag-comedy manga.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Pocket Monsters - Festival of Champions: "Tells the story of Red in the Indigo league, a league in where the champions, gym leaders and the best trainers in all regions compete."

It's a doujinshi, so it's not an officially published manga.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

It's awesome, but regrettably awfully short, at only 8 chapters and 3 sidestories right now.

6. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Is this a combination of a few pages or are page layouts really that messy?

7. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Looks pretty normal to me. The other double pages do have a bit more clear layout though.

8. Feoffic

All Rounder Meguru: The best technical fighting comic I've read since Holyland
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shinobu's Pure Heart:
    A great sitcom about a girl that is 100% not a ninja. It's also complete at 30 chapters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Houzuki no Gekokujou: Another "reincarnated in another world" story, but this one doesn't suck. Main character is a librarian who is born in a world pre-printing press, so low literacy rates and what books do exist are in the hands of nobles. She sets out to change that just so she can read again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yuki to Sumi: Boy gets roped into helping the school idol, a calligraphy prodigy, hide the fact that she's dumber than a sack of hammers--the main girl is basically Aqua from Konosuba.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kumika no Mikaku: Sitcom-food comic about an alien eating food for the first time because she's never needed to eat before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Slipback

Slipback First Year

My Hero Academia: It takes place in a world where superpowers are called "Quirks." It follows Midoriya Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School and his quest to be the Number 1 Super Hero. I would honestly put this manga on the same level as One Piece, the characters are great and it has some absolutely gorgeous art.

10. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was an amazing new take on the overdone SI printing press obsession. After being burnt out on a billion GoT SI stories where the protagonist throws out printing presses and forgets about them, it's amazing to see somebody setting out with the goal of making books for the sheer love of them. Not to uplift society. Not to improve the world. Because she wants to read.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Houzuki no Gekokujou is pretty good so far, loving it. Great artwork and the subject matter is actually really fascinating, to have the main character actually feel and suffer at the shortcomings of the time, especially as someone who was born among the poor. ASOIAF SIs generally start as grown male nobles in power or at least children of noble families, who have wealth, some comfort and authority, and knowledge on future events.

Here, the main character doesn't know anything about, well, anything about the place she is in. Not the history, not then future, not the important schemers and geopolitical landscape. She is just the youngest daughter of a peasant family, and even in the short 6 chapters has made it rather clear that being poor is an immense roadblock to pretty much all of her goals.

What she can do are small quality of life things, things she desperately needs as someone accustomed to modern comforts.

So yeah, so far, it feels like that SI concept done right. I also love how her understandable struggle for these things make her seem utterly selfish and careless, something she so far only gets away with because to her family she is their youngest daughter of five who until then had been constantly sick and close to death and they're just glad she seems energetic again. That and she is still a child and gets leeway because of that.

Thanks for the recc @Banta.

12. Feoffic

Somali and the Forest Spirit: A forest golem takes care of a young, human girl in a world where monsters rule and humans are either extinct or hunted down for food when they appear. The artwork is gorgeous and the story is whimsical with a melancholic feel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  13. Omer7199

Omer7199 Muggle

High Score:
    The Promised Neverland : Kids in an orphanage discover a grim truth about their world and plan an escape. Story keeps up the tension, and throws you for a loop with its plot twists.

Dr.Stone : Civilization is ravaged by an odd phenomena which turns humanity to stone, two students are turned back and attempt to rebuild society from scratch armed with scientific knowledge and determination. An engaging story which brings real science and humor on top of an interesting premise.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Got around to reading a few chapters of Fate/Strange Fake. Saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serious Gil is best Gil. Can't wait for this fight to make it to anime.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  15. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Houzuki no Gekokujou is fantastic. Loving it so far, only qualms are the there aren't more chapters.

16. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Since the movie is coming out this December, I decided to read Alita, Battle Angel. Fair warning, the trailer has some mild spoilers for the manga in it.

It positively oozes 90's style, and the pacing is lightning quick (to the point where it almost feels rushed to my modern sensibilities), and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Cyberpunk, transhumanist themes in a post apocalyptic, stratified techno-dystopia, and evidently one of the pioneers, given that James Cameron has decided to make a movie about it.

Definitely give it a shot (and let's hope the movie is a better adaptation than GitS was...)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  17. Feoffic

Gokushufudou: Way of the House-Husband: Yakuza becomes stay-at-home husband; hilarity ensues.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I followed that for a while, until I hit a paywall. Are you seeing it on a site without one?

19. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just use mangadex like all the cool kids.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    In hindsight, though I did read everything that was available for this one, I might have been thinking of a different one when I mentioned the paywall. Something about creators posting on a specific site that gave you a few chapters as a trial and beyond that you had to buy tokens with real money, which tokens you then used to buy manga chapters.
    I laughed all the way to the X button, but it was a shame as I liked the series. Can't recall too much of it atm, it's been a while.