1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Wow, so many recommendations. And I just finished uni exams for the year. Awesome.

Time to get started then...

XD

2. Snowl

Snowl Squib

Onepunch-Man

How entertaining can a story be when every antagonist gets killed in one punch? As it turns out, pretty damn entertaining.

And the art. Murata is simply godly.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Got to love that manga, best shortest fights ever.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This story is intense. You look at the artwork and it's... somewhere between subpar and par. But you get that sense of primal, primitive fear that somehow rises above the mediocre drawing skill.

It also reminded me of this painting: Saturn Devouring His Son. It'd be cool if that factored into the story behind it. The dark-slanted creation myths as an element makes stories pretty interesting. It basically made Prometheus as interesting as it was.

5. Vitrify

Vitrify Squib

^

Damn. That painting looks like something straight out of Shingeki no Kyojin. I wouldn't be surprised if the author of Shingeki no Kyojin got his inspiration from that.

On a side note: an anime adapation for Shingeki no Kyojin was announced. The trailer's pretty epic.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Finished Psyren just now, and gotta say even though the end felt kinda rushed, it was immensely entertaining to read.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Psyren was probably one of my favourite manga ever to read, and it really was a shame to hear it was being cancelled, forcing the author to rush the ending.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read those manga's in the last few days:

Assassination Classroom by Matsui Yuusei.

A super powerful being, capable of flying with mach 20, distorting his body in nearly every shape he wants and other powers blew up huge parts of the moon and threatens to do the same with the earth, unless he can be the homeroom teacher of a class. The class gets the mission to assassinate their teacher within a year, to prevent him from blowing up the earth in one year.

Manga is about the interactions between teachers and students and how they build up a bond with their sensei while they are actively trying to kill him. it is fun and silly and kind of heartwarming at the same time. Not even thirty chapters and I think it gets regular updates and an amusing read.

Kagami No Kuni No Harigusawa by Kano Yashiro.

This is not really all that good and more of a guilty pleasure to me but maybe someone here will like it as well. Boy likes girl and while trying to save her life (and succeeding) he gets trapped in a magical mirror and only the girl is allowed to communicate with him. Mirror has a few powers and quirks and while it is a bit fanservice-y it is still entertaining enough to read. Manga is complete.

For those who stopped following Cage of Eden or forgot to check its updates, supposedly, the manga has only three chapters left and seeing what has happened and what we learned in the last chapters, I have my doubts that a satisfying end is possible.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    hgf
  9. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Kagami No Kuni No Harisugawa was in my opinion terribly dissapointing. I don't mind it ending early as I felt the mirror thing was rather limited and would get pretty dull pretty quick. The whole thing was just kind of boring. I liked the author's other manga Mx0 which was canceled IMO way too early so I had a lot of expectations for this one. I'll rate it meh. It's not long so I suppose it's a decent timewaster.

The Assassination Classroom seems very interesting, I'll have to check it out.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

This is hilarious.

11. Feoffic

Magi covers a pretty wide range of serious topics with a very deft hand, something not often seen in manga arguably targeted at teenage boys.

12. oakes

Magi is awesome as hell, as far as shounen manga goes, but there are few things that annoyed me at some places, which is again completely normal you can't possibly like everything about something. I guess I would've like to see some more backbone in Alibaba...

Anyway for those who like martial arts manga Holyland is pretty cool. Some say it's similar to Keichi/Kenichi,or whatever the hell its name is, I never read it. I'm undecided about whether I like author's continuous lecturing, as it cuts the fluidity of the story, but the things he explains are also interesting as hell. Anyway this's a manga about a kid called Yuu Kamishirou discovering himself in the nightlife or what they also like to call Holyland, where the various gangs face each other in the hopes off dominating the turf, etc., etc.

Anyway this was my first time reading a manga like this and I think I have a new favorite genre.

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I fucking love Holyland. Only thing I didn't like was the ending. Well, I'm actually ambivelant. On one hand it the poetic ending to the series. On the other hand, I'd have preferred seeing Masaki vs Yuu go at it in the limelights one last time, with Mai cheering them on alongside Shin and all the others.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agreed. Manga is fucking amazing but the end though, that one was really disappointing. Really didn't like what happened to the main character. Also, the whole drug rape thing kind of soured the enjoyment a bit, even if it didn't happen. The threat alone kind of ruined the fun of pure fighting and guts though.

But, have to say, the two times the protag goes Berserker, that was truly a terrifiying sight to behold.

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

At least you know that one of the guys responsible for it gets turned into a vegetable and it never explicitly says what Yuu does to the mastermind after cornering him in that dark alley. My own opinion is that he beat that piece of shit to death.

16. oakes

Sensen Spike Hills

Nomura Nobuo was a normal highschooler, until his "gift" convinced him of his seperation from the masses. When his gift is unmasked by Kaburagi Jirou, it marks the start of a war. A war on society itself. The War Front: Spike Hills.

Pretty interesting one, not the most action packed, or even most amazing manga. Their friendship dynamics are what really attracted my attention. Also the protag is a pickpocket.

Shamo

At the age of sixteen Ryo Narushima was a genius and looked to have no trouble of getting into Tokyo University and joining the elite of society. However, that summer something cracked inside Ryo's head. With a small knife he brutally murdered both of his parents only leaving his sister alive and cowering in a corner. It is at this grotesque incident that our story begins...

Ryo is without doubt the most determined manga protagonist ever. Not really shies away from anything if it coincides with his purpose. The series also have great fight scenes. My only gripe with it is the writer's continuous use of somewhat religious motifs/ macabre scenes and etc. to constantly tell us that Ryo is an evil son of a bitch. Then again maybe it's just me, symbolism has its own perks... :rolleyes:

Those who liked Holyland would probably like this, if they already do not know about it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. Feoffic

Ryo is an absolute sonuvabitch. He is a completely unredeemable villain, and that's what makes him so entertaining. I second the recommendation that if you liked Holyland you should seriously check this one out because Shamo is the darker, depraved cousin to Holyland.

18. oakes

Are there any good Manga about Kendo with a male lead? All the ones I've come across are about, strangely enough, female protags. I've read Kurogane which is your typical School Life/Sports/Shonen manga, but when it comes to kendo, it seems that there's not much variety...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Watching the protag in Shamo get raped turned me off the manga pretty quick :/

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I like the series personally, appreciate the rec. My only beef is that I wish Ryo would actually win some of his major fights instead of just surviving.