1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Yes, having a shitty self insert character with zero personality that's dead as a doornail show up and curbstomp everyone is totally fine and cool as a story premise. Because if you completely misunderstand what Persona's are (and also interpret all abilities as however strong they need to be for your nothing character to be a boring invincible nothing character) it's believable and therefore totally makes the story not shit somehow!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Regarding the two posts responding to me. Did I say anywhere in my post what either of you are throwing at me?

Yes it would be much more interesting if you put the protagonist from the early parts of SMT games. And curbstomps are not great stories.

People reading non-existent stuff in posts seems to happen a lot around here recently. Especially since the only thing in my last post was explaining who the character was and why it was a curbstomp. Never did I say that the story was good. At best it's a passable read. I didn't even go into the quality of the story in my previous post.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Lies I say! Your feeble accusations are without merit and reflect on your poor integrity as a person. Now I will Windows+D and bask in my glorious (and not even remotely loli) Ilya-on-the-beach wallpaper.

On a serious note, as if you actually consider Mordred loli.

4. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So much truth.

5. fire

fire Order Member

6. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Well I guess that doesn't make the story a gigantic wankfest then. It is possible to have a god like character in the story and not be a wankfest as well.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Your whole post was defending the fic about how it 'made sense'. I was saying not only does it not fundamentally make sense as a premise, the justification for the curbstomp itself to 'make sense' requires arbitrary decision about a characters capabilities that isn't at all depicted in the game in question, on top of straight up not understanding what Persona's in 3 on actually are. It doesn't make sense, it isn't somehow justified, it's as stupid as any other random dude from X game showing up and beating up the cast of Y series because I can arbitrarily reinterpret how their abilities compare to each other.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Jarik's loli fetish aside, anyone know any good Persona or SMT stories? Crossover or otherwise?

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Shit man, I'm not attacking you, I was trying to talk about the interesting parts of SMT that can be used in a fanfic.

10. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

No, you're still atatcking points he didn't make, and just doing it so you can rant about your hate-on for the fic. Minato, at the end of Persona 3, is essentially God Tier, so logically in the scenario in which he ends up the DxD-Verse, he is going to be a pretty major powerhouse, no matter what.

Does that make for a good story? Debatable. It could be. Does how DAD go about it make it good? No, it doesn't. Are some liberties taken with the Persona themselves? Yes, but show me a fic where some liberties aren't taken somewhere, whether in regards to powers or characterization, or what have you.

Eiter way, let's end this discussion. The consensus for DAD is that it's Meh at best, and has a pretty large YMMV factor to it.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Minato's Long Date, Minato/Elizabeth~

Over and Over Again, Minato/Aigis, time loop.

Seta Souji, the Magnificent Bastard, the two earlier fics are short and funny, this is a bit long, heavy and serious. Souji is an actual villain, and does some really despicable stuff, including rape and murder, so YMMV.

12. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Ah, that one. I'd like to think I made it a decent way in, but Ignus has a love for inserting cameos at every possible instance. At least that's what I think it was, it's been so long since I dropped it.

14. Download

High Score:
    I thought the Niska cameo was rather good.

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It turns to shit.

16. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

You don't need to - I already posted it for review quite some time ago. And it got into Library, when it was still good. Then it turned into utter shit and I will forever rage and hate this piece of crap.

17. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

18. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The Citadel part of the story was also bad, but we forget that in the face of how god-fucking-awful the rest of the story is; it's the less smellier shit pile of two extremely smelly shit piles.

19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I wouldn't call it shit - yes, the entire plot was stolen from Kojima's Snatcher, but in those short chapters we could see how a Mass Effect/Deus Ex crossover could look. And it didn't look too bad. The story turned shit the moment author decided to include cameos/shotouts/whatever to every fucking game he ever played, went and described characters looks in a note at the begining of a chapter and started to listen to the circle jerk at Space Battles forum.

20. Download

High Score:
    Damn, that's incredibly disappointing.

Not open for further replies.