1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I don't read much in other fandoms, but this one sticks out in my memory:

Technically this is a romance fic. Technically. And it has a shitty summary. But it has a lot going for it. For one, it's not fluff. It's also extremely well-written. It manages to recreate the tense atmosphere and intrigue of the original Death Note. It's not slash, which is unusual in itself for a DN fanfic - the pairing is L/Misa with a touch of Light/Misa. And best of all, L, Light and Misa are all in character - but despite this, the author somehow makes Misa interesting, even as the main character.

I'd give it a 4/5 based on characterization and writing quality alone. Unfortunately, it's unfinished and appears to be abandoned.

2. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Northern Star by Hanna Sedai (Robin, Slade, Batman, T, Words: 274,758, Complete)
    Life as Slade's apprentice is hard for Robin, but even harder for those trying to save him. Murders, schemes and hatred flourishes as the Titans, Batman, and the JLA struggle to help him. Meanwhile, Slade has a nefarious plan in mind for the Batman...

This is one of my favourite Teen Titans fanfics, but I wasn't sure how DLP would take it, considering that most of the action is psychological and Slade-mindscrewing-and/or-kicking-the-crap-out-of-Robin. However, the characterisation of Slade is pitch-perfect, while Robin is suitably angsty. He doesn't lose his resourceful sneakiness, though. And he does gain a dark, snarky sense of humour later on (although after he gets over the angst, which takes a looooong time...)

I'd give it a 4.5/5, although many people in DLP are more likely to give it 3.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

In my recent search for any good Kakashi fics, I ran across a trilogy of stories that I would "almost" recommend.

'A Personal Matter' is the first one. Official description is "Two missions with drastic consequences. Worlds connect, destinies unravel, and nothing will ever be the same. HPxNTO crossover like you've never seen! Set pre series Harry Potter and Kakashi Gaiden Naruto."

Basically a 6-year old Harry Potter, who had been living with the Dursley family, ends up in Konoha when they're murdered by Death Eaters. There is some hand-wavy argument about a lot of stuff, but in the end somehow or other Hatake Sarumo knocked up Lily, so Harry is his son.

When he shows up in Konoha his half-brother Kakashi is around 12-13 and Harry doesn't speak their language, and Harry has been neglected in the past, so there is some extent of ... what do you call it, I mean, Minato tries to sort of be a father figure to Harry I guess. Kakashi is never gushy at least.

Anyway. It was good enough that I read through the entirety of it and the sequels, but I don't think it's DLPs style to the point that I could put it up in For Review.

The sequel has Harry around 13 years old and a Genin. Kakashi by this point is around 19 and in ANBU. Dumbledore kidnaps Harry, and accidentally Kakashi as well, and they end up having to hang around Hogwarts while Dumbledore tries to manipulate Harry into staying and getting rid of Voldemort somehow. This seems to have been more popular with readers, though I thought it was weak in some areas.

The third story, which isn't complete, has Harry back in Konoha and about 17 years old. He goes up for Sp. Jonin (the special moniker being for his skill with magic) and takes on a student -- and that's where it's at so far.

Harry is not, and never becomes, OP in these stories. Basically he can use magic but he's not that kickass at it, and the same is true for his Ninjutsu skills. He's like a jack of all trades in that he can do everything but he doesn't seem to excel at any of it.

Call it guilty pleasure reading if you must, because I enjoyed it. But I had to skip around and skim a few parts.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Title: Out of the Unknown
    Author: axellon2008
    Star-wars/Naruto cross-over
    Summary: A young Naruto discovers a crashed starship and his life is forever changed. With a teacher, he will discover a galaxy that he never knew existed.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6646554/1/Out_of_the_Unknown

I liked very much idea, if only execution was a little better...
    It's standard idea with sith!Naruto, but he isn't very powerful in force like it's in others fiction of this type. His power as a ninja on the other hand are pretty strong, but it's shown what a teacher and a little guidelines can do. It isn't some god-like Naruto, but realistic, capable and hard working little bad-ass Naruto. Give it a try! :D

5. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

^^
    It is also the stupidest Sith that I've ever seen. For example - Naruto needs to kill discreetly a genin in order to secure a spot to that team. He manages to stealthily enter genin's apartment, incapitate him, extract all needed info along the ride from the helpless captive - all that remains is to kill him so there would be no tracing this back to Naruto. And then instead of simply breaking his neck, or slashing throat, or stabbing him in the head with kunai or thousand other generic methods he kills him with unique sword he himself crafted with Sith techniques. The exquisitely unique blade that was crafted in the forgery of the Tenten's father and that both of them seen and were extremely interested in. This mistake will eventually bite him in the ass royally.
    Naruto regularly makes this kind of stupid mistakes that are visible immediately to the reader, and not in the hindsight as it should have been in the case of realistic mistakes.
    And this guy was trained by a Darth Plagueis, the Master of the Darth Sidious, otherwise known as Emperor?

6. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Well this mistake was written purposeful, yes like all examples you said will come to hunt him, but I don't want read about some uber!Naruto, he was young its logical that he will learn from his mistakes :)
    Overall fic isn't great, but it's Barely Readable to Almost Good thread, where it can find place per my opinion.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It really isn't.

8. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I actually liked this story somewhat. Not to extend to remember until mentioned though.

9. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Here's two Ranma stories that I quite enjoyed. I consider them a solid good, but I don't know that they'd have a shot at the library for various reasons.

It's unfinished, and frankly unlikely to ever BE finished, but it's one of my favourite ranma-chan fics, and definitely my favourite non-cracky characterization of Kuno. But then, I'm an unabashed Ranma-chan (and Ozzallos) fan. Despite the sheer amount of trash the genre attract(s/ed).

It's a blantant ship/romance fic with very little to do with the plots of the series involved, but it's enjoyable for what it is: a romcom.

I finish with a Terminator:SCC fic:

This is one of the best "Cameron is more than just a machine/AI" stories I've seen. It starts to drag in the later chapters and begins to lose the something something of the earlier ones, but that's what happens when an author lets the fans talk them into continuing past their decided ending.

10. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Does anyone remember reading Thunder Over Smallville a million billion years ago and wishing it would be continued? The author's apparently back, and didn't update it, but...

Of Silver Coins and Lost Souls An ancient Roman Denarius shows up in Sunnydale. Cross with The Dresden Files (the books, not the TV show).
    [​IMG] Literature > Dresden Files, Theanotherlostsoul • FR18 • Chapters [1] • Words [2,534] • Recs [0] • Reviews [3] • Hits [163] • Published [29 Aug 11] • Updated [29 Aug 11] • Completed [No]

It definitely could suck. It'll even probably suck. This first chapter wasn't even that great. But Denarian!Willow from a formerly prolific author has too much potential to turn into something awesome to not mention.

And if it does suck, I don't want to have to be disappointed alone.

11. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Renegade Reinterpretations
    A species without Paragons is one with a sad and terrible history. Humanity enters a very different First Contact War, and Mass Effect as you know it will change. Warning: this fic may make you rage and wish genocidal retributions against aliens.
    Mass Effect - Rated: K+ - English - Chapters: 46 - Words: 58,663 - Reviews: 371 - Updated: 8-29-11 - Published: 7-11-11

It almost seems more like a very fleshed out outline than an actual story, but beggars can't be choosers for something truly original in Mass Effect universe.
    There is no novelization, little characterization, merely laying out the groundwork. It forces the imagination to do all the heavy lifting for how scenes actually go.
    Barely Readable, carried almost entirely by its great ideas.

12. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

The Demon Shark and the Fish Cake
    Naruto, left for dead, is stumbled upon by a randomly wandering Hoshigaki Kisame. Impressed enough by the child's sheer will in not dieing, Kisame decides to take on a student. How would Naruto do if he was raised by someone a little monstrous?
    Naruto - Rated: M - English - Humor/Adventure - Chapters: 3 - Words: 24,808 - Reviews: 221 - Updated: 7-19-11 - Published: 3-6-11 - Naruto U. & Mei T.

Thought I'd post this to keep the thread alive.

This isn't a work of art; it has its cliche's (especially the beginning), and suffers continuity issues, but overall it's a light and fun read.

This is also the best Kiri Naruto I've come across, which says more about the fandom than anything else. Oh, and it has Mei Terumi! Truthfully though, it does show us hints of what a well written "Kiri Rebellion Naruto" could be like. Hell, it inspired me to continue my own attempts at one.

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

So I read Naruto recently after seeing some Harry centric cross overs that were posted for review here. I found another one that I am liking. I've posted it here because it's still in its starting stage, so I don't want to put it in For Review proper yet.

Ninja-Who-Lived

Summary: Harry dies at the end of Deathly Hallows and is reborn as Naruto. Now Harry is on the case of uncovering all the secrets around Naruto and deal with his enemies. Find out how Konoha deals with the Master of Death Ninja-in-training.
    ---

It is updated often and the author seems to take in critiques in the review section. Putting it here figuring some of you like this kind of thing.

14. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Eagle's Fall by CharNobyl - T - Command and Conquer/ Mass Effect

Subject: Eagle's Fall by CharNobyl - [PG-13] - 63k words -

Title: Eagle's Fall
    Author: CharNobyl
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Adventure / Sci-fi
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms---> Misc---> Games
    Fandom: Mass Effect/Command and Conquer
    Pairing: No romance to be seen so far.
    Summary: Shanxi becomes the first human world since Earth to be invaded by hostile aliens. Outnumbered and reeling, the GDI troops dig in for war, hoping their trenches will not become their graves. The First Contact War, with GDI replacing the Systems Alliance.
    LINK I rated this 4/5.

Cons: The reason I took 1 point off was because of the author is always adding a comma before a contraction (Example: ",but" + ",and"). That was only part of it though. I noticed the fic appeals to your pride. Everyone likes to read stories about how a wounded soldier carried his unconscious teammates (One on each shoulder) 2 miles to an extraction point. What I am saying is that it has a feel of "Humans will always triumph because we be AWESUM.". It's minor but it's there. Author is somewhat prone to excessive description of military hardware but it's easily ignorable.

Pros: No major spelling errors and the fic is formatted correctly. At least as correct as FanFiction.net can make it. It's a good read if you enjoy heavy action, aliens, explosions and Sci-fi. Battles are intense and fun to read. Characterization of developing characters is slow but believable. Thoughts?

EDIT: Merged with "Almost recommendable" on request of the poster.
    Minion

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  15. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Going to revive this thread!

Ashes of the Past, by Saphroneth

One of the only non grim-dark Pokemon fics that I've enjoyed. It contains Ash being sent back to the past by Arceus after Cyrus managed to destroy the world. There's some blatant power abuse through Ash learning aura, and some overpowered tendencies, but as a humor-fic, I think that's excusable. There's some occasional grammar mistakes but it's readable on a whole.

16. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Almost Recommendable: Friendship Edition!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has a crazy huge fandom, and between the shit and the gems there are quite a few merely fun stories out there. Pull out some love and tolerance, and post'em if you got 'em.

U-Harmony by Ebon Mare
    Summary: Twilight's curiosity pushes her to go were no bookworm has gone before: On dates.

Better than it sounds. Well written, often surprising, always funny. And completely without pony sex.

My Little Hangover by Mousetrap
    Summary: When Twilight wakes up to a destroyed hotel room, a hangover so painful it leaves her unable to do magic, a missing pony, and a slew of unanswered questions, she is forced to wonder: did they party too hard? Now, the five ponies must clean up their mess by piecing together a night that none of them can remember, all the while searching for a friend that could already be halfway across the desert... It's a lesson they'll have to learn the hard way. Some ponies just can't handle Haygas.

Ponies. The Hangover. What more need I say?

The Ballad of Twilight Sparkle by Gravekeeper
    Summary: Twilight Sparkle is summoned to settle a legal matter involving The Great and Powerful Trixie... What in Equestria did she do now?

Aside form the irritating shippiness, this is terrific. Twilight Sparkle is summoned to Manehattan, and all hell breaks loose. Rainbow Dash: Attorney at Law, Rarity the Valkyrie, and alcoholism. Lots of fun.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  18. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That.

That-that-that-that-that!

While some people try to make a huge fuss about it neither the MLP fanbase of DarkLordPotter nor the MLP fandom in general are that large that they justify a separate "almost recommendable" thread.

Threads merged.

19. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Tried it. Was not a fan. Well written enough, but as someone who stopped watching the series mid-Hoenn, half of it went over my head and the whole Aura was annoying.

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Alright, here's a couple of stories that I've recently read that to my surprise I enjoyed:

Title: Stingers
    Author: Tanstaafl
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Rating: FR15
    Fandom: BtVS
    Summary: When Buffy dives off the tower to close Glory's portal at the end of season 5 she ends up somewhere else, minor femslash.

And its sequel...

Title: 101st
    Author: Tanstaafl
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Rating: FR15
    Fandom: BtVS
    Summary: Continuing the adventures of Buffy and Barb, minor femslash.

At a little over 200,000 words in total, this series follows Buffy post S5 as she wakes up to find herself in a slightly alternate Sunnydale, 1941. Naturally, this story deals with Buffy in World War II. The pace of the story is tight, fast and pretty damn fun to read, and you can tell the author has done an absurd amount of research into the planes of the Second World War, the military structures of the time for US, UK and Germany, along with a keen grasp of history as Nazi Germany gets a few breaks that didn't go their way in real life.

One of the key themes is Buffy's struggle in trying to actively participate in the war, when women weren't allowed to serve in a combat capacity. Thankfully compared to the author's other series, the femslash is muted and barely a focus.

4/5

Not open for further replies.