1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just watched episode one. Some mixed thoughts here:

- The Engrish dub is awful and poorly synched. Watch it in Danish.
    - The main girl has a prominent 'stache that's very visible in one scene right at the beginning when the camera focuses right up in her face. I was kinda hoping for it to grow into a great big bushy beard during the bunker timelapse. Guess that's how she was able to teach her brother how to shave: had enough practice on her own face.
    - There are some nice hints towards a Scandinavian branch of the Umbrella Corp. being around. Fun.
    - What the actual fuck was that dance scene supposed to be?

For the most part it seems really promising. Yeah, sure, it's yet another post-apocalyptic survival scenario, and we all know their recent popularity is a scam by tv studios to get out of paying extras. But there are no zombies, so that's a plus. The overly-friendly never-met-humans deer was a nice bit of foreshadowing.

I'm a little irked by the ending of episode one, though:

They'd almost run out of food, decided to embrace going outside, and ONLY THEN did the fuckery of the random new people block the air vents and cause them to have to leave? Tch. That's a complete waste of potential narrative tension. Have them driven out by oxygen deprivation/random gun-toting hobos, unwilling and scared. Or have them decide to leave all happy and free and only then run into trouble outside. Doing both seems like the writer couldn't decide on an ending, so he wrote both options. Bah.

Shoulda posted it in WBA before pitching to Netflix.

It's not anything special, but worth a watch. Looking back at this post it seems a bit like I dislike it, but it was actually pretty okay.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, I didn't really pay much attention to her mustache. Or the dancing. I watched parts of this while it was muted because I was cooking while watching it and needed to listen to my pans. I've finished the show at this point. I think what it reminds me of the most was the show Helix. But not season 2 Helix, but season 1. I came across it on Netflix and was able to watch it all in one go. Shows like Helix, The Dark, and The Rain are that it needs to be watched all in one go. If I had to wait for the next episode to come out like Season 2 of Helix, then its not that good. There are so many open ends and so many questions, I couldn't stand to just watch it.

Overall, The Rain was good. I'm not going to say its the best show ever, by any means. The dubbing did detract some things from it but once I saw that the danish with english subs worked out well, it was enjoyable.

From the word go I was pretty much confused. Because the opening scene with the father, and the kids driving, and then the fact that

everyone on the road behind them when they wreck the car due to their stupidity dies

and then when they make it to the bunker

and the mother ends up dying because the daughter is a fucking retard
    Kind of solidified my dislike for the two MCs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the Umbrella Corp vibe from Apollon, because that was what I was thinking the entire time. Its a nice change that there aren't zombies, I fully expected something like that when I read the synopsis. I feel like the execution of some things in later bits of the season could have been handled better.

Something that didn't make sense to me and you'll see this later is that the virus is spread by the Rain. But its shown at some point that either the rain isn't toxic anymore or the entire group they're with, baring Beatrice is immune. And the thing with Beatrice is that the reaction wasn't immediate, so its assumed that maybe there is nothing actually wrong with the rain, like the rest of the group figures out at about near the same time. But then we find out that the boy is a carrier and then the end of the season. I'm left with a lot of unresolved questions.

I do like it. I wanted to like it more, but the frustrating stupidity of the kids and the group dynamic really irked me. Because you just know some shit is about to go down, its just a matter of when. Like the build up of bass before a drop, but then the drop isn't as good as you expected.

I'd still watch it because it really shows Netflix is catching their stride when it comes to format and delivery.

3. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I think I dropped out of Helix after the first or second episode. It was complete trash with stupid characters doing ridiculous things.

4. Zombie

Helix season 1 was much better than season 2. Idk I just liked Helix, mostly because I spent the whole time trying to figure out wtf was going on.

5. h2o

h2o Professor

Lost In Space was cheesy, annoyingly stupid at times while still having an interesting premise. I'll probably tune in for season 2 but that's mostly because I'm such a sci-fi lover that I'll forgive its many flaws.

Anyone here seen Hard Sun? The first episode was fucking great, had me completely hooked! If you're a fan of Luther you should check it out (Same creator I think).

Unfortunately it sort of turns into a slightly more run-of the mill show that has a very Luther vibe to it. Still good but not quite the epic two coppers vs Mi5 exposing the end of the world good.

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

How is Almighty Johnsons? I am thinking about picking it up but I can use a second opinion.

I am in my Myth kick so alternatives are also accepted.

7. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I started it, but it just turns into a soap opera. So it’s true to myths I guess, but it really couldn’t sustain my interest.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Started watching Cobra Kai. You remember the Karate Kid? It's basically about the washed-up baddy from that. They even got the original actors in for both the Karate Kid (Daniel LaRusso) and the rival from the first movie, Johnny Lawrence.

Johnny's become something of an everyman; Daniel has made it and has ads everywhere. His new neighbor, a Mexican dorky kid, gets his ass kicked nearby. Predictable shit happens, roles from the original are reversed, the Cobra Kai gets restarted, and it turns out the old rivalry is still alive for Daniel. The focus is distributed fairly evenly between them and the new kid. Plot is fairly by-the-book, you basically know exactly how it goes from the trailer alone. I am pleasantly surprised by none of the original extreme shit getting excused or disregarded.

In the end it's basically the usual drama/comedy, with a side order of nostalgia, some teenage drama about bullying, and an underdog story. Balance is roughly in the favor of (decent, not spectacular) comedy, IMO. Watched four out of ten episodes that are out, don't feel like my time was wasted and want to keep watching so I'll rate it at 6/10 for now.

9. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I don't understand how this got made

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nostalgia is in like a motherfucker. Roseanne got remade (and then cancelled after she said some stupid shit on Twitter, but hey, that's in, too). There's this, there is (was?) the Lethal Weapon TV show. Probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

11. Zombie

Revivals are popular atm. More than they usually are. Think people have been eating some member berries.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I finished Cobra Kai the day after it came out.

The incoming love triangle is a bit annoying.

But altogether I give the series an 8 out of 10. I had some laugh out loud moments. The nolstagia was good.

The series does a good job of balancing the characters displaying their positives and weaknesses.

Also shows just how messed up Cobra kai’s Philosophy is when not tempered.

13. Otters

High Score:
    Just started watching Impulse - the new science fiction tv show made by Youtube Premium about teleporters which is apparently some kind of sequel/reboot of Jumper.

The movie Jumper was shite, but I rather liked the source novel, so I decided to check this out. It's better than I expected, although riddled with tropes.

Alternative chick with family troubles moves into small town America, spends time driving around spraying graffiti, smoking in bathrooms, and being sassy to authority figures. Star athlete with an abusive father has an inclination towards ignoring women who say no to him. You get the picture.

And yet for all that we're dabbling with cliches here, they're actually done rather well. There's a sincerity to character interactions which you rarely see in these mundane+1 scifi settings. I'm particularly liking the interaction between step-sisters: they neither like nor care about each other, but know that they exist in one another's space and conduct themselves with a grudging respect for their mutual disdain.

I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to. It's not treading new ground in any ways, but the individual components which we always see in shows like this are a shade more polished than usual. First few episodes are available for free. Check it out.

Pilot linked here:

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I liked the show and thought that while it had its fair share of tropes it didn't handle them that badly (though by god I would have loved to see not yet another evil corporation thrown into the mix as I have really come to detest that trope..) . As you say the way its handles most of characters is quite refreshing to see for something in this genre and I actually liked the slow development of the plot. I too really liked the two siblings though in many ways I found the stepsister a more interesting and relatable character than the MC.

That said my biggest issue with the series is how it sometimes feels like a prequel to the "real" story. Oh it does a good job of bringing most of its story to satisfying end that makes sense but in many ways it feels like the real adventures of our MC and her merry band of friends are just beginning.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. Otters

High Score:
    New Voltron out on Netflix.

My erection is only somewhat coincidental.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started Binge Watching Brooklyn 99.

The show is a surprisingly strong comedy and excellent writing.

Samberg is a genius comedian as always, but the rest of the characters play their parts admirably.

It’s rare that I find myself caring about characters in a sitcom, but Brooklyn 99 has managed to do it.

Great show.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man... second season of Legion continues to be an absolute fucking masterclass in surrealism. Episode 6 was just fantastic.

I really really hope it gets a third run.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season two was fantastic. Tell me what you think when you get to the end, cause it gets wild.

Good news, it was immediately renewed for a third season when the finale aired.

19. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Keep recommending Billions to anyone who wants something to watch. It's brilliant.

Also just started watching Animal Kingdom, much better than I expected going into it.

20. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable