1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Pact by Wildbow - Original Fiction

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I'm quite liking it. But then, maybe it's because I haven't read worm and thus may not be turned off by it not being of the same quality. I'm not saying that is what's going on, but it seems a possibility.

Who knows?

2. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

I still follow.

I wonder what it was that Rose saw that had her looking so put off at the beginning of the chapter?

3. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah. I'm definitely feeling the same way. The universe is vaguely interesting, but the characters and their skill sets just aren't there (yet).

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

So far the story has just been about exposition and world building really. It's hard to imagine where Wildbow will take this as Blake and Rose get more competent - I imagine there will be a larger plot bigger than just fighting off the other local families.

Been just keeping my interest so far though.

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Is it just me or is Blake prissy and a little bit of a diva. I don't know, sometimes he seems like the kind of peripheral character that the protagonist would talk to but still find annoying.

I think I'm going to give this a break wait for at least three full arcs to conclude. I'm still not sure if I'd have stuck with worm if I'd found it just as it was starting.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think it's just you. :-\

Given the shit he's going through, Blake seems to be taking everything in stride and approaching everything quite level headed. I'd hardly say he's being prissy or being a diva.

Though I can kinda understand on the peripheral character bit. He feels a bit too emotionless in his narrative you struggle to get a strong first person connection to him. Worm in comparison had a lot more internal monologue.

7. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Adding to this thread to let everyone know that Wildbow will return to the practice of posting bonus chapters starting tonight.

8. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Where Worm had a lovely balance of character and worldbuilding, Pact is unfortunately really heavy on the worldbuilding so far and isn't getting there with the characters. Blake and Rose are dull, though Blake is showing some signs of life. The lawyers are interesting to read about, but they're the first characters in this story that have actually grabbed my eye. The magic feels vaguely interesting but it's all being held back behind a 'maybe-this-is-too-great-for-us-mere-mortals' veil, and that really kills my magicboner.

The most recent interlude really drives that home for me. I don't want to read a textbook about magic, I want to read about the awesome people that populate this interesting world. A world can be amazing, but without good, interesting characters and storylines, it's pointless.

Take Harry Potter, for instance -- seeing as we are on DLP. HP's magic is whimsical and fun, and the world is awesome. But backing up that great setting are some fantastically unique and interesting characters and a million fascinating plotlines. Think about it this way: there were so many characters in Harry Potter, yet very few of them are not memorable.

In Pact, not even the main characters are particularly memorable yet. What distinguishes Blake and Rose from the herd? We haven't really been shown yet. I guess I just wish there was some sort of definitive characterization going on. I don't even know why I should root for Blake aside from this being his point of view. Maybe it's just too early for it...

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think the problem is that Worm threw you into the world; you instantly had conflict, characterization, interaction, so on and so forth. Pact's first few parts were great, the whole escape from the plague doctors, running around the wilderness, the feeling of mystery. It's just gotten bogged down under the worldbuilding. I don't really care that much about people holed up in a house reading about magic. I don't really want action; the best parts of Worm were the talky bits, not the fighting, but I want conflict.

Pact's just kind of boring right now. I'll probably go back to it in a few months, but it just isn't worth my time to read until it picks up

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The problem with comparing it to Worm is that as a universe, in Worm you could understand what was going on without too much knowledge of the world. At the start you didn't need to know the ins and outs of how Skitter controlled her bugs - just that she went fought Lung and that was it. The world exposition was more a consequence of the direction the story went.

With Pact, it seems like to even understand the impact of certain actions characters take or the reasoning behind those actions, we're required to have an intimate knowledge of the rules of the world. Wildbow certainly hasn't chosen an easy concept to write.

I kinda think we got into the action too quickly to be honest. At the end of chapter 1, we already have Blake being chased by others. I think it could have benefited with a longer time spent just being introduced to Blake, and interacting with people (not Rose). That'd have probably have made us more connected to him when this shit started happening (though, at the same time I suppose readers would want the plot to get a move on).

I am starting to enjoy it a bit more now. The prediction that Blake is going to die a horrifying death has set a bit of a pressure for him to work against. I like the way it's humanizing and to some extent, normalizing some of the characters (like Maggie and the Dupache girls). Worm did that a lot - under their masks, most Capes were normal people. And it's part of what made interactions so interesting to read.

Completely agree with Mutton that the best parts of Worm were the 'talky bits'.

Still not seeing Worm-level potential in the concept, but I also don't think I was really that engaged in Worm at the start either (wasn't that interested in the whole superhero thing), so took me a while to get into it.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, in other words, Worm was written by wildbow!Neil Gaiman. Pact is being written by wildbow!Brandon Sanderson.

12. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

There's not nearly enough 'Hey-look-at-how-fucking-clever-I-am-for-lampshading-a-fantasy-cliche-LOL' for it to match Sanderson.

Seriously speaking, though, not a half-bad comparison.

13. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I think the thing that's bugging me is Blake and his friends. He ran away, then developed a really tight knit group of people who cared about him (the tattoo artist for example). I would've liked to have been introduced to some of them before he left, or at least have him think about them a bit more than he is.

Not going to lie, I couldn't get myself to read this latest interlude. Just not my cup of tea.

14. theronin

theronin Order Member

You're not the only one. I put it off for quite a while before I actually got through it. It was mildly interesting I guess, but not much beyond that.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah agreed. Really hope they play a part in it and don't just forget about them.

Regarding the interlude, the interviews were kinda interesting, the rest was fairly dry. Interesting to see some of the weird shit people get themselves into as practitioners.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd have preferred more from Grandmother Rose's diary.

17. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Everyone needs to stop what they're doing and go check the latest update. I'm really starting to like this World that Wildbow has built.

18. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I did enjoy the update quite a bit, but I'm not sure I really want to read an entire arc of people not named Blake this early in the story.

19. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

I think Wildbow's still a bit uncomfortable writing a male main character, and this is him returning to his comfort zone.

20. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Things are getting more interesting, and Blake is close to displaying some actual personality, so I'm definitely liking these latest updates a lot. I do have to admit that I'm not a big fan of how ridiculously underpowered Blake and Rose are compared to, well... everybody. I'm hoping they start learning some cool stuff soon, because they're spending a lot of time just floundering around trying to get their footing.