1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Pact by Wildbow - Original Fiction

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah, what Daedros said.

Is this going to be an entire Maggie arc? I got the feeling that it was more of a preface to provide more context for her actions - not the beginning of a multi-chapter personal history type deal.

2. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Based on the title of the arc, I'm expecting a chapter from each of the major players in Jacob's Bell, but I guess we will see.

3. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I'm not sure where people are getting that this is an Arc from. It just seems like the first in a certain type of Extra. My thoughts are that it will continue on w/ Blake and Rose and the next extra will be someone else's history.

4. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

I concur with Probellum. This is just an interlude. Wildbow said as much in the first comment on this chapter.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Ah I stand corrected then.

6. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Still. It was an interesting interlude. I liked getting a bit of (relative) normalcy with Maggie and her friends. It's kind of what I'm missing with Blake.

One of my favourite things about Worm was that Skitter, and her personality, was introduced kind of through the Undersiders. They were used as a metric for character development in a way. Blake doesn't quite have enough people who aren't solely interested in killing him for that to be the case.

It's kind of an unfair criticism, because Pact is in its early days yet, but it's one that's been bugging me.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, his best characters have almost always been female. His male characters are usually quite dull in comparison.

But yeah, even in Worm, he'd throw up Interludes of characters that weren't a huge focus at that point. So I don't think we need to read into it too much and see Maggie being a huge focus over the next few chapters. I imagine we'll probably see interludes from many of the characters soon.

Really would like to see more of Maggie. Interestingly enough, I'd be curious to see some scenes with her Dads, and see how they view this whole thing.

8. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Something about this chapter seemed...I don't know, better, somehow. Blake felt a bit more, alive? I guess. Subtly, but that's what it seemed to me. Maybe I'm seeing things.

/shrug

Anyway, the mention of his friends was nice. Again, as pople have mentioned, they kind of seemed forgotten. Curious as to what's up with his tattoos.

9. Euroclydon

Nah, I aggree with you. I think it's his shift from reactive to proactive really rounding the bend. He's tried other methods of dealing with this stuff, but he's arrived at the point where he's ready to slash and burn and whatnot.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is the point where Blake goes "Fuck it." I like it when characters reach this point. Always interesting to see how far they're willing to go to win.

11. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Another good chapter, I think. Blake's got another plan, lets hope it doesn't get blown out of the water like most of his others.

The Fairy Hair seems useful. I wonder why it seems to work so well for him when it shouldn't. Also seems dangerous, if he loses himself to his own glamour and starts thinking he's someone he's not.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

There was also the comment Rose said at the end and the fact Dickswizzle listened to her and not Blake. One of the comments on the page also notes that this is the third time an Other responded to Rose better than Blake.

13. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

I have to say that this was my favorite chapter so far.

We've finally found something that Blake is good at!

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta wonder if Rose could just be some other kind of Other under a glamour. It'd make sense, since glamours draw power from the illusion being believed, but not falling out of mind. Rose would fit that perfectly since everyone believes she's a vestige.

15. Euroclydon

Eh, I'm not too certain about that. I feel like everyone else calling her a Vestige kind of corroborates her existence as such. If it was just Blake coming to these conclusions, then probably not. But the Lawyers and Padriac saying it? I'm leaning toward that being the truth as I doubt they would be so easily fooled. Especially the lawyers, they seem like they really know what's what and wouldn't be so easily fooled.

16. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

There was apparently an update on Thursday, that I missed. Both of these last chapters were interesting. Blake is really starting to come to life, as it were.

Especially liked the infiltration of the house. Not sure I liked how he got out, but it was okay. Losing himself in the glamour was predictable, but I didn't see it coming while he was glamoured as a kid.

Really hope the fallout for this doesn't just get glossed over.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  17. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed these last two updates. Because of work related crap I ended up reading them pretty much back to back. All of my previous complaints still stand, but at least interesting things are happening now.

I'm very curious as to how he's going keep his promise to Leanne.

Also: Dickswizzle. Fucking goblins.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Interesting move in the latest chapter. Was not really expecting that.

I imagine we'll be seeing Blake go off to get stronger and get some experience before returning. Makes sense I suppose - he managed to make a successful attack against them, but is still beaten by practitioners way more experienced than him.

19. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I'm just glad he's going to get out of that freaking town. Honestly.

20. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Finally caught up to the last two arcs and I have to agree Blake became much more interesting in the last two chapters. Wildbow again going with the low key power with his protagonist, I'm really excited to see the various smart ways he can use it.

I really liked that they just went back and finished the ritual especially since Laird is a chronomancer and time isn't really an issue for him.

I still don't understand what Rose is and I still don't like her, but I like how she's been given something to do as the person with clout. Which does the raise the question of whether Blake's word is binding to Others.

Am I the only one who feels that Maggie is three quaters Tattletail and 1/4 Taylor?