1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Password for boot-up?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BloodRedSword, Nov 8, 2007.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hey, I'm wondering if it is possible for my comp to have password so it can boot up? What I mean is that when I press the on button on my comp, a screen shows up and demands a password before it even begin to run the Windows?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Uh, yeah, Windows XP?

Go to control panel, and then go to User Accounts. Click the User Account that you want to password protect, and go to Change My Password. As simple as that.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think he's talking more like a password in the BIOS, before Windows is even started or anything boots up. And yes, it's possible but I think it depends on your motherboard. If you don't know that password, you'll need to look up the make and model of mobo, and move a jumper to reset BIOS passwords. Or pull out the CMOS battery on the board. Depends on your mobo.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If your BIOS has an option for a Boot Password, then use that. A lot don't have one though. You can see if you have a Boot Password option by accessing the BIOS setup screen next time you boot the system.

Accessing the BIOS:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic20188.html

If the reason you want to lock it at the hardware level is to stop people running boot discs and unauthorised operating systems before Windows loads, then simply: Access your BIOS, Disable "Boot from CD" "Boot from LAN" "Boot from USB" "Boot from floppy diskette" "Boot from ext. HDD" and anything similar. Add a BIOS password (aka Supervisor Password) at the same time so that no one else can change the BIOS.

That way you don't have to type in a password every time you boot the system.

DON'T FORGET THE PASSWORD. There WILL come a time when you will want to boot from a CD or a floppy disk. Too bad if you can't remember your BIOS password to change your boot up options.

Nothing is 100% secure though. It's quite possible to reset all of the BIOS passwords if you know what you're doing and can crack open the PC case.

Yak.

btw. Does anyone know if you can password protect the boot loader instead? Maybe BloodRedSword doesn't care about external drives etc.

5. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

My old laptop had that function, shortly before windows starts, there is usually a setup button when you restart the computer. If you press that, you come up to the basic setup and there should be a password tab where you can enter and HDD password.

6. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix DA Member DLP Supporter

I have a key on my power supply ftw.

7. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

All motherboards for the last decade at least have BIOS and BOOT password features.

You can password protect the BIOS setup and stop the computer from going past the initial BOOT screen if you so desire.

The shortcut key to the BIOS setup screen is usually <DEL> and it usually shows this as such during the boot process. Easy to find how to do it.

8. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Thanks guys!

9. pieman3141

pieman3141 First Year

The BIOS can be reset via taking out the CMOS battery for 6-8 hours. Remember this if you've forgotten your password.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There's a jumper on my motherboard which instantly resets the BIOS after removing the CMOS battery. I think most boards have this. Waiting 6-8 hours would be a pain.