1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Path of Exile

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nuit, May 10, 2012.

1. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

Well, Path has officially been released, and I am currently updating. I plan on making a guild for DLP, should anyone decide to start playing/continue playing. I will probably make a character in the Nemesis and Domination leagues. If anyone starts playing, feel free to add my account. I'm GreatDullahan

2. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I'd be up for starting this game again, I'd probably only play with others though, soloing after the first difficulty was annoying/boring.

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I started in Domination League with Scion. I like Scion.

Also the shrines are a nice touch. Other than that it needs more Active skill gem.

EDIT:

So I'm in Act 2 in Dominion with a lvl 28 Scion. Spectre throw is op paired with Lightening strike+LMP and molten shell(400 fire damage while ST has ~100) I only died when the server lagged. The shrines are really nice, they brake the monotony somewhat. Overall I like the new things. Sadly with the steam release came all the frickin noobs too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  4. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

You should come to Nemesis with ChaosGuy and I. In HC few noobs last long. Also, what's your name? I'll add you to the guild.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I realized yesterday that I'm on the European servers... so no cookie for me. :(

EDIT:

So I'm on cruel Act 2 with scion. Aside from lag death nothing really fazes me. Kinda nice.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

REEEEP.

60 Ranger on Nemesis just bit the shit.

Fucking corrupted blood did me in. 5k in bleed damage. Double Strike/Faster Attacks/Multistrike/Melee splash hits so fast I built up a 20 stack before I even saw the modifier. I've NEVER seen a bleed hit like that before.

Dropped to standard, gave my gear away, and deleted the char. Nemesis or nothing.

Lesson learned. Always have a flask with Staunching.

Time for a new build.

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I have a level 40 witch running around somewhere but I kinda want to play some nemesis. How is it?

8. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well if Hardcore is the only way to play(hint: it kind of is), then Nemesis is merely an extension of such logic.

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

Challenging.

Modifiers on rare mobs can get a bit crazy, so you've gotta be careful with what you attack. Crit on a rare with elemental reflect modifier and you just might oneshot yourself. Learn to max all resists, don't want to spec fire and cold res's and then facetank a mob with volatile stormblood. Life and resists on gear drive the economy.

Oh, and be prepared to die. It's going to happen eventually.

On the other side of the coin, it's challenging as all hell, but incredibly rewarding. I can't play standard, it just isn't tense enough. If you aren't good enough in Nemesis, then you're dead. And that's the end of that.

But you should learn something every time you die. ie. Always have a Staunching flask, don't fuck with lightning thorns, voidbearers can be terrifying, etc.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  10. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I tried it out, but didn't really get into it.
    The graphic style seems very bleak and ugly at the beginning of the game. It's zoomed too far in, but that is probably intended so that you don't have too much awareness of your surroundings.
    The lack of currency is really annoying. There is a reason why every advanced society developed some form of currency. A barter system is just so awkward.

The big passive skill tree seemed really awesome at first, but you create one specific build, that is using a handful of skills (and probably just mainly one skill most of the time) and nothing more. If I want to play differently I have to create a new character.
    I know they want to evoke Diablo 2, but it just seems outdated to me to be unable to respec.

It's probably much more fun with friends and alongside a community. As a solo player I didn't have much fun and stopped playing after a couple of hours.

11. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Eh, D2 has respec-ing, has had it for a while now.

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

To be fair, there is a relatively distinct currency value system. People that are involved in trading keep up to date on the 'market' variance with the specific websites that list that kind of thing. That, and looking to take advantage of the people that don't know the values...

13. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

Alright, so, to get a list, who is playing that has not already joined a guild? I'll send invites.

Just R.I.P.ed with a 68 scion in Nemesis. 1 Shot by merc Vaal even though I had 2.6k HP, ~60% Damage mitigation from armor, 50% evade, max all resists (except chaos, only had like 15 chaos resist), and 200 or so energy shield. It was sad.
    Making a silly necro witch now.

Also, anyone interested in doing some party races? The new season is underway, and I'm getting sick of soloing all of the races.

14. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I've had a huge resurgence of interest in this ever since I started playing Nemesis exclusively. So good.

Had a few reeeeeeps because I've got an obsession with CI, which really needs decent gear to not die, which I almost never have, so lately I'm rolling life based characters so I can at least /see/ end game on Nemesis. Currently 58 with a 2 hand melee splash/Infernal Blow Marauder and having fun.

If he bites the dust then I'm probably going to roll a high mana regen Arctic Armor build I've been dreaming up. Basically you use Lightning Coil to convert phys damage into lighting damage, which will make the high Armor and Arctic Armor even more valuable. Then, since I'll have nearly infinite mana, Mind Over Matter just sweetens the deal.

Was it the giant ball smash that did you in? I don't think you're supposed to be able to take that hit /ever/.

I dunno, I personally love that there's no gold. You only have to look at D3 (or D2, for that matter) to see how utterly worthless it becomes in this game. Yeah, you can add all the gold sinks in the world, but you're constantly putting bandaids on the gold creep. Plus, having a Regal drop just feels so much better than having a larger than average pile of gold drop.

As for respecs, it is actually possible, though pretty expensive. There's a currency drop called Orbs of Regret that allow you to refund one talent. Collect about a hundred if you want to respec.

Which is of course crazy. You're kind of expected to reroll in PoE. Hell, half the fun is rerolling new and crazy builds for me.

But yeah, I can see how that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. To each their own.

15. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Looks like I'm reinstalling this game then.

Voidbearers have never been not terrifying.

16. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

Yep, giant ground slam smashed my face in. Was in a multi-strike animation and could not get out of the way in time.

A word of advice, don't use multi-strike against bosses with double strike and faster attacks, your attacks queue up and you can't cancel it when they start chargin their lazorz.

17. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

You guys doing races? Send me a message on Steam. I'd like some people to do group races and maybe some nemesis with.

18. Dr. Strange Lulz

I'd be interested.

But I'm booked with work for the rest of the month, so races are probably out for me. I might get a 1 hour race in if I can, but that's pretty much it.

Ya, Multistrike is irritating like that. That's also why you need a rapid movement skill of some sort like Leap Slam or Whirling Blades. So if you do manage to finish the animation in time, that skill can save you from being an exile shaped stain on the ground.

Good man.

Same, I think it's more interesting. Sure, I could get 3 chaos for an item, but I don't need to reforge the properties of a rare, I need to 4 socket some boots, change the socket colors, and then 4 link it. So why not take 10 jewelers, 20 chromes, and 2-3 fuses in place of those 3 chaos?

Way more fun than gold.

I don't like respecs. I never have. When they change something via patch and it completely fucks your build over, go ahead and respec out. But most respecs are done simply because a build didn't turn out as well as you thought it would.

Instead of looking at that character and saying "Ok, what went wrong? And how can I not make that mistake again?" people just pay 5, 10, 100 gold, $2, etc. and pull up a website with a flavor of the week build.

I get that it isn't a popular opinion, and there are just as many valid arguments for respecs as there are arguments against them (Time constraints generally, most people don't have the time to roll new characters every time they screw up). But I'm on the against side here. And the fact that POE makes you EARN those respec points gets some respect from me.

--

Question.

I just use the standalone client, but does having POE on Steam have any real benefits?

19. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Not really, just the steam friendslist and that it keeps the client up to date.

20. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

EDIT: Apparently I'm a noob and an idiot. Nevermind.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013